• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

City of Champions.

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

img_4655.jpg?w=608&h=400&crop=1

Way to rep The A! Belated congrats, Malena!

http://talktown.blog.myajc.com/2017/09/22/atlanta-student-wins-2017-soap-box-derby-world-championship/

The first time she jumped into a soap box derby car, then 7-year-old Malena Shipley had no clue what she was doing. But she had such good form and such good instincts, it seemed she was a natural.

In June, Shipley, 12, of Brookhaven, took first place at the All American Soap Box Derby World Championships in Akron, OH. After five years racing, she knows exactly what she is doing.

“I try to focus on the path that I am going to drive and I just try to really focus on where I am going steer,” said Shipley, a student at Cliff Valley School.

Over the years, Shipley has progressed from Stock, the first level for the youngest and newest racers to Masters, the highest level of the Soap Box Derby.

As drivers move up in the ranks either based on age or performance, the cars get bigger. At the lower levels, drivers sit upright in the cars. At the Masters level, they steer while lying down.

The All-American Soap Box Derby was created in 1934 hitting its peak in the 1950’s and 1960’s before experiencing a decline in popular interest. Girls were not allowed to participate until 1971.

~lw3