• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting Trade thought... Like Hawksquawk's thoughts..

Diesel

• Premium Member

Would you trade:

Bazemore/our Midround first    for Paul George.

Here's the deal.  George is leaving OKC by trade before the deadline.   He's going to be a free agent because he will opt out.   The question is would you use this to get rid of Baze's contract?  There's a lot of side stories to this trade too.  I would like to hear from the Squawkers. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Not for me.  I value a mid-first over getting rid of Baze's contract.  I don't think it is our time to chase a dollar free agent this offseason so I don't feel any burning need to unload it.  

Well Like I said, there are several layers to this. 

1.   What if we can convince George to stay and be the face of this team?

He still has 2 year left if he doesn't opt out.   We can build a team around him.   Regardless of where he plans may take him, he won't get that.  A team built around him with him as the star. 

2.   Will it kill the tank run?

Not necessarily, if we can convince him to stay, we may be able to convince him to shut down.  The old Back injury. 

3.  He is the offensive and defensive force that we need. 

4.  With Baze off the books, we have money to go after another star.  Maybe even another trade. 

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Well Like I said, there are several layers to this. 

Agreed.

1.   What if we can convince George to stay and be the face of this team?

He still has 2 year left if he doesn't opt out.   We can build a team around him.   Regardless of where he plans may take him, he won't get that.  A team built around him with him as the star. 

My view on that is a definitive "no."  I think he is opting out and looking to head to a contender or LA.  Be happy to have the conversation with his agent if he doesn't feel that way.

2.   Will it kill the tank run?

Not necessarily, if we can convince him to stay, we may be able to convince him to shut down.  The old Back injury. 

I'd be higher on the deal if he was happy to stay and rehab the rest of the season so we would have him and our high pick this year but I don't know that this is enough of a base to build around and whether the timeline for George contending and our pick contending will line up.  The disposition of Baze's salary is a much bigger benefit in this scenario where we would be looking to win next year and beyond.  

3.  He is the offensive and defensive force that we need. 

I think he is an outstanding #2.  Excellent defender.  Good offensive player.  Definitely a guy who can be part of your foundation but not a superstar.  You probably aren't a contender if he is your best player.

4.  With Baze off the books, we have money to go after another star.  Maybe even another trade. 

Agreed.  As above, if we want to win "now" then the scenario of landing him, letting him rehab the rest of the year, resigning him after he opts out this offseason, and adding talent to George and one of Doncic/Ayton/Bagley, etc.  along with our other picks would have to be paired with going after another star in his prime to have a chance to get us into contender status.  (Note:  A true star, not a Carmelo type big name, selfish game guy.)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

Agreed.

My view on that is a definitive "no."  I think he is opting out and looking to head to a contender or LA.  Be happy to have the conversation with his agent if he doesn't feel that way.

I'd be higher on the deal if he was happy to stay and rehab the rest of the season so we would have him and our high pick this year but I don't know that this is enough of a base to build around and whether the timeline for George contending and our pick contending will line up.  The disposition of Baze's salary is a much bigger benefit in this scenario where we would be looking to win next year and beyond.  

I think he is an outstanding #2.  Excellent defender.  Good offensive player.  Definitely a guy who can be part of your foundation but not a superstar.  You probably aren't a contender if he is your best player.

Agreed.  As above, if we want to win "now" then the scenario of landing him, letting him rehab the rest of the year, resigning him after he opts out this offseason, and adding talent to George and one of Doncic/Ayton/Bagley, etc.  along with our other picks would have to be paired with going after another star in his prime to have a chance to get us into contender status.  (Note:  A true star, not a Carmelo type big name, selfish game guy.)

I see your side and agree with a lot of what you said except...  #2?  I think this is the whole premise of attracting him.  I think he's a #1 guy.  I think he could be a top 5 player in this league because he's a two way guy.  As far as who I would like to pair him with...  My pipe dream is him and Klay and a PG like George Hill.   We'd have the best defensive team in the game.  And we would be a three point shooting terror. 

• Moderators

Nothing we don't already know, but just posting Steve Kyler's pot-stirring here.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-daily-there-are-some-nba-trades-to-be-had/

The Atlanta [Hawks] are exactly where they were planning to be when they opted to tear apart the roster, sitting dead last in the NBA.

The challenge for the Hawks is they still have some contract dollars and players that may or may not fit the rebuild plan. The biggest name and salary would be swingman Kent Bazemore.

The Hawks owe Bazemore $16.91 million this season and a guaranteed $18.089 million next season. Bazemore has a player option in 2019 worth $19.262 million, which could be problematic for the Hawks to find a real salary shedding transaction.

The fact that Bazemore is 28 years old puts him outside the rebuild window.

League sources say the right combination of ending contracts and a first-round pick, even one highly protected might be enough to get Bazemore in trade, especially for a team looking for a scoring punch.

Of all of the players likely to be moved this trade season, Bazemore may be one of the harder players to trade, but if a team were serious about trying to get him, the word is he could be had and for not a lot in return.

Also, coincidental to OKC, ClutchPoints adds this Bazemorish note about their play thus far, despite their struggles...

https://clutchpoints.com/thunder-news-okc-leads-nba-in-steals-deflections-loose-balls-recovered-and-forced-shot-clock-violations/

...according to the NBA’s official website and NBA Miner, the Thunder have actually been pretty great in a few statistical categories on defense this year. As seen in the links below, Oklahoma City leads the league in steals with 9.9 per game, deflections with 18.1 per game, loose balls recovered with 9.0 per game, and most shot clock violations forced on their opponent with 1.0 per game.

~lw3

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, lethalweapon3 said:

Nothing we don't already know, but just posting Steve Kyler's pot-stirring here.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-daily-there-are-some-nba-trades-to-be-had/

Also, coincidental to OKC, ClutchPoints adds this Bazemorish note about their play thus far, despite their struggles...

https://clutchpoints.com/thunder-news-okc-leads-nba-in-steals-deflections-loose-balls-recovered-and-forced-shot-clock-violations/

~lw3

2 Schools of thought here.   What he said.. but by the time we get to the last year of Baze's contract, it will have more value because there are other guys with bad contracts that teams may want to get out of. 

• Like 2