• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What if???

JCDBaptist

Does anyone think it is possible to try and convince Paul George and Klay Thompson to come here in the off-season? They will both be free agents.

Try and shoot for the moon and convince them of their game complimenting each other without without them taking trunk seat pushed him (Klay) out the backseat and no chemistry in OKC for PG13.

Add the system that they would operate in as a team and still give them free reign to take over or shoot when they are feeling it. 

Explain how their supporting cast is really already in place:  Scroeder and Taylor manning the point, mid tier and mid level get that plays his role well Sermon, and add in the exciting young playmaker and highlight reel John Collins, and throw in 2 picks in upcoming draft...top 3 hopefully and Minny 15-26 pick (fingers crossed).

Hell, if they want a more pass first PG...draft one or trade Schröder for one at their satisfaction or request. 

Why can't we shoot for the moon...the Falcon landing was monumental...let's have our shock moment.

Have pr and media relations put whispers in the air to give a push towards thoughts and perspective.

Fans put up a billboard to Go Big (PG13 & Okay along with helluva draft pick) or Go Home.

Can't afford not to with the renovation coming and the development of the Gulch.

Opportunity is rare but go for it Schlenk. Change your lucky stars overnight.

Let' do it!!

What say you??

• Admin

Welcome to the board ... ignoring the fact that KLay is not a free agent u til next season ... there is no way we are bringing in big name free agents here this summer ... having cap space is not enough ... we are not a competitive team and also Atlanta has never been a free agent desitination ... we have to build our team with draft picks, trades, lower tiered free agents and guys looking to resurrect their careers.  It will be a little bit before we are competitive again.

5 hours ago, JCDBaptist said:

I would also like to add, we either have the capspace or can definitely create the capspace with an amnesty or buyout and cap increase.

Perfect storm brewing 

A couple things. We can't have the cap space due to Kent's contract as well as Plumlee and Schröder still being on the books we only have 30 mill to work with so maybe 1. Klay isn't a free agent until next year and Dennis isn't seen as a guy that could crack some contenders rotations so why come here?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Cap isn't going to materially change next season and buyouts don't free up significant cap space.  Jamal Crawford is on our cap this year and next, for example.  

We will hit a period where we have cap space but it isn't this offseason.

Oh my bad. I misread the article during a quick glance through.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/2/16/17021574/klay-thompson-free-agency-warriors-absolutely-anything-i-can-do-james-harden-thunder-rockets&ved=2ahUKEwii2NDdq8vZAhXJ6YMKHYtsC9oQFjACegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw1IQvEwGD2DvyQNfrkZNCdu&ampcf=1

In the article it was speaking on Paul George speaking out on his looming free agency and then mentioned Klau speaking out on his free agency as well. So I dreamed big.

I understand the knock of Atlanta not a free agency destination, but how do you change That? By showing players that you are serious about winning and buying a champion.

I was thinking (if Klay did have 2018 free agency) bring them both in on the same day.

*Show them the renderings of the new arena.

*Create CGI of them playing together and on the same team to really make them have a vision of playing together and how their game compliment each other. (That would be a special presentation woo).

*Explain how they could build their legacy separately but on equals grounds with a fresh start.

*Show them plans for the Gulch to explain to them that the new arena will become a DESTINATION!!

*Field of Dreams, if you build it, they will come. Build the arena, build the team, the championships will come.

*New owner with deep pockets, brother is developing the Gulch and is thirsty to become not a contender but a champion!!

Atlanta may not be an NBA free agent destination but it is a destination city. It is a hip, happening city that is growing on an international scale. And they could be put on the international platform if they too dream big.

Grandeur I know. And all for nothing. But man, did it gives me chill to think about the possibilities if Klay would have been a 2018 free agent. All for nothing.

31 minutes ago, JCDBaptist said:

Oh my bad. I misread the article during a quick glance through.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2018/2/16/17021574/klay-thompson-free-agency-warriors-absolutely-anything-i-can-do-james-harden-thunder-rockets&ved=2ahUKEwii2NDdq8vZAhXJ6YMKHYtsC9oQFjACegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw1IQvEwGD2DvyQNfrkZNCdu&ampcf=1

In the article it was speaking on Paul George speaking out on his looming free agency and then mentioned Klau speaking out on his free agency as well. So I dreamed big.

I understand the knock of Atlanta not a free agency destination, but how do you change That? By showing players that you are serious about winning and buying a champion.

I was thinking (if Klay did have 2018 free agency) bring them both in on the same day.

*Show them the renderings of the new arena.

*Create CGI of them playing together and on the same team to really make them have a vision of playing together and how their game compliment each other. (That would be a special presentation woo).

*Explain how they could build their legacy separately but on equals grounds with a fresh start.

*Show them plans for the Gulch to explain to them that the new arena will become a DESTINATION!!

*Field of Dreams, if you build it, they will come. Build the arena, build the team, the championships will come.

*New owner with deep pockets, brother is developing the Gulch and is thirsty to become not a contender but a champion!!

Atlanta may not be an NBA free agent destination but it is a destination city. It is a hip, happening city that is growing on an international scale. And they could be put on the international platform if they too dream big.

Grandeur I know. And all for nothing. But man, did it gives me chill to think about the possibilities if Klay would have been a 2018 free agent. All for nothing.

Lol love the thinking but why do it here when LA has more cap space and tbh a more interesting roster. Even if he was a free agent this would never happen in 10000000000000 years.

Edited by davis171

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Welcome to the board ... ignoring the fact that KLay is not a free agent u til next season ... there is no way we are bringing in big name free agents here this summer ... having cap space is not enough ... we are not a competitive team and also Atlanta has never been a free agent desitination ... we have to build our team with draft picks, trades, lower tiered free agents and guys looking to resurrect their careers.  It will be a little bit before we are competitive again.

Maybe in 10 years we can make the playoffs again.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Klay is the quintessential team player but I believe paying him like a #1 option and relying on him as such is a huge mistake.  He’s assisted on 74% of his 2 pt attempts and a whopping 96% of his threes.  He has always played with 3 passers superior to our best in Baze, who likely doesn’t factor into our long-term plans.

I was a PG fan, soured on him last season, and now back on the train.  He’s back to defending like Thabo on steroids and can obviously fill it up.  But I think his aims are to get a supermax and be popular, not play in a great system for a small market team.

I ain’t going nowhere anytime soon.  I’ll kick my feet up and wait for the dominoes to drop on Schlenk building a contender through the draft based on the GS template.  If you know the history of the Hawks you know it ain’t happening any other way.

Pretty much this. Klay is fool's gold for people thinking he can be "the man" for another team at the same level he plays at in GSW.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, davis171 said:

So um what off-season moves would you have made to make this team a contender this year?

If you are competent GM those moves can/could be made.  Ive been around the Hawks since the 70s so I do know a good bit about there history.  That being said I am not a GM.   I will say that the old saying "If your gonna play, you gotta pay."   Tanking very rarily works and you have to get pretty lucky on the draft picks you make aside from Robinson, Jordan, or Labron.   I do know by past experience if you go the tank route it takes years and years to even get back to the playoffs unless you get a superstar.  Ive been through this in the past and it is usually not pretty for several years.  You just better hope that the Hawks get a star pick in this draft. 

2 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

If you are competent GM those moves can/could be made.  Ive been around the Hawks since the 70s so I do know a good bit about there history.  That being said I am not a GM.   I will say that the old saying "If your gonna play, you gotta pay."   Tanking very rarily works and you have to get pretty lucky on the draft picks you make aside from Robinson, Jordan, or Labron.   I do know by past experience if you go the tank route it takes years and years to even get back to the playoffs unless you get a superstar.  Ive been through this in the past and it is usually not pretty for several years.  You just better hope that the Hawks get a star pick in this draft. 

There were not moves to be made. You can say that if you want but your only options were go over the cap with a mediocre old roster with no chance of ever winning a title or blow it up and try and get some draft assets. The hawks have had less assets than any team in the NBA for years now save MAYBE the nets.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, davis171 said:

There were not moves to be made. You can say that if you want but your only options were go over the cap with a mediocre old roster with no chance of ever winning a title or blow it up and try and get some draft assets. The hawks have had less assets than any team in the NBA for years now save MAYBE the nets.

So what if the draft picks dont pan out?   You seem to imply that blowing it up will result in a championship. 

5 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

So what if the draft picks dont pan out?   You seem to imply that blowing it up will result in a championship. 

I'm not implying that at all. You got to draft well be savy with free agents and know when to cut bait as well as get really lucky to win a championship. The celtics didn't go through a rebuild process doing just this.They Drafted Paul Pierce signed KG and Ray Allen and then cut bait at the right time saying I'd rather miss a decent playoff run to trade Pierce and Garnett for a haul to allow them not to be forced to tank. The hawks could have done a lite version of this by trading Sap a year ago but didn't pull the trigger so when Schlenk got here his only option was to start a rebuild because the opportunity to acquire the necessary assets was missed. 

Edited by davis171
  • Like 3

Am 1.3.2018 at 13:53 , davis171 sagte:

A couple things. We can't have the cap space due to Kent's contract as well as Plumlee and Schröder still being on the books we only have 30 mill to work with so maybe 1. Klay isn't a free agent until next year and Dennis isn't seen as a guy that could crack some contenders rotations so why come here?

looool. You didn't notice that dennis is playing badly on purpose rn ?! 

Edited by ISOJOE

Just now, ISOJOE said:

looool. You didn't notice that dennis is playing bad on purpose rn ?! 

Why would Dennis play bad on purpose he was available for trade at the deadline and we easily could draft his replacement Schlenk has no commitment to anyone except maybe Collins.  

vor 12 Minuten, davis171 sagte:

Why would Dennis play bad on purpose he was available for trade at the deadline and we easily could draft his replacement Schlenk has no commitment to anyone except maybe Collins.  

just watch the games and compare it to all his playoff games, he only plays decently against contenders/big market teams or if a famous rapper is in philips arena. He knows that the Hawks shouldn't win games at the moment, it's obvious. 

Edited by ISOJOE