• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bazemore's Future With The Team

AHF

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

So unless you agree with KB and Bud is gone, Those starts you proposed are a pipe dream.

I think you think a lot more of Baze relative to his 18M and 19M remaining salaries than I do.  Kudos to him for delivering much better value this year but I'm not confident he keeps it up or that he ever delivers value on par with his contract.  I think he could be dealt now that Bud doesn't make that call and definitely like Doncic over him.

For our interior, I have no expectations for who we will roster next year.  Dedmon is definitely opting out and whether he considers us is outside our control.  Maybe we go get a vet if he does leave.  I don't know - just would leave the door open to a rookie starting after some "warm-up" time if we take one early like Porter / Collins or Collins / Bamba, etc.

• Moderators
Just now, Sothron said:

I'm still hoping we flip Baze in the offseason. He did have a good year so maybe that will be the impetus to get another team to take on that contract.

My guess is that Schlenk will be working the phones.  Time will tell.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

I think you think a lot more of Baze relative to his 18M and 19M remaining salaries than I do.  Kudos to him for delivering much better value this year but I'm not confident he keeps it up or that he ever delivers value on par with his contract.  I think he could be dealt now that Bud doesn't make that call and definitely like Doncic over him.

I think he will be a Hawk for a couple more year or more...The organization just love the dude...Even the harshest Hawk critic like that Brad Rowland just loves the dude.  They treat him as though he is almost the face of the Hawks

• Like 1

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I'm still hoping we flip Baze in the offseason. He did have a good year so maybe that will be the impetus to get another team to take on that contract.

I don't think so...I think they see Baze as an integral part of the rebuilding process.  Not so much for his basketball talent but rather his professionalism, work ethic and congeniality.  Can't have a team full of selfish jerks and win.  Part of winning is having the right teammates. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I think he will be a Hawk for a couple more year or more...The organization just love the dude...Even the harshest Hawk critic like that Brad Rowland just loves the dude.  They treat him as though he is almost the face of the Hawks

21 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't think so...I think they see Baze as an integral part of the rebuilding process.  Not so much for his basketball talent but rather his professionalism, work ethic and congeniality.  Can't have a team full of selfish jerks and win.  Part of winning is having the right teammates. 

He is an intensely likable guy but there is a reason that the Rockets are only as good as they are today because they didn't sign him.  He would have crippled their build.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

He is an intensely likable guy but there is a reason that the Rockets are only as good as they are today because they didn't sign him.  He would have crippled their build.

The Rocket are ready to win now and have a bunch of vets on that team...no comparison between the current Hawks and the current Rockets. Don't start sounding like KB21. Lol!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The Rocket are ready to win now and have a bunch of vets on that team...no comparison between the current Hawks and the current Rockets. Don't start sounding like KB21. Lol!

They were rebuilding kinda if you remember. They went 41-41 and let Dwight walk who was their second best player. Had they signed Baze (they offered slightly more than the hawks) they never would have had the opportunity to sign CP3. That is the point AHF is making that the hawks may lose an opportunity with his number on the books.

Edited by davis171
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, davis171 said:

They were rebuilding kinda if you remember. They went 41-41 and let Dwight walk who was their second best player. Had they signed Baze (they offered slightly more than the hawks) they never would have had the opportunity to sign CP3.

Again we are no where near 41 wins nor do we have a superstar on our team...apples and oranges. And by the way, the second superstar ain't coming here next year! Lol!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Again we are no where near 41 wins nor do we have a superstar on our team...apples and oranges

But if for example Kawhi or AD became available and Kent's contract in someway hampered the ability to acquire them then it is a bad contract and thats the point. The hawks need to have only assets on the roster that ready us to make that kind of move. The hawks need to constantly be ready to make savvy moves and Kent's large contract isn't exactly something you can get creative with. 

Edited by davis171

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Again we are no where near 41 wins nor do we have a superstar on our team...apples and oranges. And by the way, the second superstar ain't coming here next year! Lol!

Agreed.  I think after next season we will be ready to jump into the market with both feet and at that point Baze will be tying up over 19M in cap space.  There will be better ways to spend that money.  It doesn't mean we have to rush to get rid of him but if an opportunity comes along where the price is right, I don't think Schlenk is going to hesitate on that - especially if we get lucky and end up with Doncic.

Basically, I see Baze as not likely to be here for long when we are ready to push for wins after next year.  There should be no impetus to keep him unless Schlenk thinks there is still significant upside.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, davis171 said:

But if for example Kawhi or AD became available and Kent's contract in someway hampered the ability to acquire them then it is a bad contract and thats the point. The hawks need to have only assets on the roster that ready us to make that kind of move. The hawks need to constantly be ready to make savvy moves and Kent's large contract isn't exactly something you can get creative with. 

Kawhi definitely ain't coming here next year sorry...We are just going to have to sort out what we have after the next 2 drafts and go from there...by that time Baze will be in his option year.  There is absolutely no reason to be concerned about Baze's contract right now

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agreed.  I think after next season we will be ready to jump into the market with both feet and at that point Baze will be tying up over 19M in cap space.  There will be better ways to spend that money.  It doesn't mean we have to rush to get rid of him but if an opportunity comes along where the price is right, I don't think Schlenk is going to hesitate on that - especially if we get lucky and end up with Doncic.

Not sure about that if your calling cards are 2 20 year olds

1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I have a feeling that we won't be hearing from KB21 as much!  It probably become very apparent to him that his theories are utter nonsense

That’s never stopped him before...

• Like 3

• Moderators

Not sure about that if your calling cards are 2 20 year olds

Boston won their last championship after two seasons winning 24 and 33 games by flipping lottery picks and young players for KG and Allen.  We could have someone much more established here who could be a real draw depending on how things play out.  If a superstar becomes available, he will almost surely be traded to a team with an attractive lottery pick as the center piece of the package.

Don't know how this will end up playing out - just am pretty sure that Bazemore isn't playing a major part on the team by the time we are going for it and so there isn't a lot of incentive to hold onto him if an opportunity comes up.  Baze was signed under a "win now" mentality and so maybe he fits for someone who has that mentality.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, hazer said:

That’s never stopped him before...

We'll see but a 41 point effort from Dennis and 2 38 point efforts from Prince may have him thinking

Just now, AHF said:

Boston won their last championship after two seasons winning 24 and 33 games by flipping lottery picks for KG and Allen.  We could have someone much more established here who could be a real draw depending on how things play out.  If a superstar becomes available, he will almost surely be traded to a team with an attractive lottery pick as the center piece of the package.

Don't know how this will end up playing out - just am pretty sure that Bazemore isn't playing a major part on the team by the time we are going for it and so there isn't a lot of incentive to hold onto him if an opportunity comes up.

That's not Schlenk's style

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

That's not Schlenk's style

I don't feel I know enough to say what is or isn't Schlenk's style.  Baze is just along for the ride as far as I'm concerned.  He isn't a building block.  If he is here long-term it will be on a much cheaper contract once his current one expires.

Good news is he does have a positive attitude so no need to get rid of him because he is a cancer.  Just no big need to hold him either.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Kawhi definitely ain't coming here next year sorry...We are just going to have to sort out what we have after the next 2 drafts and go from there...by that time Baze will be in his option year.  There is absolutely no reason to be concerned about Baze's contract right now

I'm not saying he is but if AD comes available or any other players at or above a star level via trade or or FA I want the hawks at least kicking the door and that requires tradable/intriguing contracts and assets. We have a lot of future picks and idk if we take all of them all I'm saying. I also love Kent so only if it makes sense but to put a lock around him would be foolish.

Edited by davis171

• Moderators

This I do agree with KB21...you have to win with studs to attract free agents

We all agree on that.  KB just thinks the right way to get studs is to keep in the playoffs for as long as you can even if the team gets old and you never win a game past the first or second round.  I think a better path towards being able to attract an MVP talent is to rebuild through the draft and then use those draft assets and cap room to directly and/or indirectly get your stud(s).

• Like 3