• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk states we will take bad contracts for picks

NBASupes

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Sap will be ready to go next season.  And he's in a decent position, seeing that he doesn't have to be the #1 scoring option on the Nuggets.  He can function as the high priced #2 option, while also still being the 2nd most versatile player on the team.   Next season, Denver will be in a very good situation to not only make the playoffs, but challenge for a top 4 seed.

He was the 5th highest scorer on a per game and a per minute basis this year.

27 minutes ago, davis171 said:

14 can be Knox, Gilgeous, Miles Bridges, Lonnie Walker, Robert Williams, etc all of whom I like 

I like those guys too, but they are clearly a tier down from the three I mentioned. The difference in Farieds contract and Noah's is 5 million. 17m versus 12 and one additional year. 5 million is worth getting a Elton Brand like player in Carter Jr with 3 range. Bamba  could easily be a multi time defensive player of the year candidate with budding offensive skill. Malik high floor 3d sg/sf. He could be a 40% 3 point shooter and guard 3 positions in his prime. Bud best develops 3d players. 

There's a very good chance New York won't want to move that pick,  so I would gladly take Denver's, but I need to try and get 9 and those high upside players. With Denver I would like to try and pry away Malik Beasly if we deal with them. Even if we have to give up our second to get him. I have a feeling they'll want to keep him; I can't see them being able to resign Will Barton.

33 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Sap will be ready to go next season.  And he's in a decent position, seeing that he doesn't have to be the #1 scoring option on the Nuggets.  He can function as the high priced #2 option, while also still being the 2nd most versatile player on the team.   Next season, Denver will be in a very good situation to not only make the playoffs, but challenge for a top 4 seed.

Actually Denver could be in a worse position next year. 

Denver is in the position you stated earlier where they can either exercise their team option letting Jokic become a RFA or let him go into the 2019 free agency as a UFA.  Will Barton is also a UFA. 

The problem is Denver is already over the cap. Unless by some miracle Chandler and/or Arthur opt out or they find a way to dump someone like Faried without giving up any valuable rotation player they'll be faced with going deep into the luxury tax to re-sign any of those players for a team that failed to make the playoffs.  Banking not only on Millsap's health but that he bucks the trend of decline he's displayed over the last two seasons.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, nathan2331 said:

Not the news I want to hear. We could make this a quick turnaround, if the guy we draft is as good as I hope, but this signals a Sixer's like rebuild, which KB21 obviously has warned us of the entire time. There's no reason to saddle ourselves with bad contracts when it's gonna waste the time we have with players overproducing on their rookie deals.

A Philly type rebuild is unrealistic because our cap situation going forward is too flexible.  This is the main reason we'd be willing to take on a bad contract.  We have the cap flexibility to ride out a bad contract the next year or 2.  This is about player salary averages.  108 million cap divided by 15 players is 7.2 million per player. A mid-first round pick is only 2 million dollars. This means that a $12 mil bad contract + a $2 mil rookie is the same as a 2nd round rookie + a $13 million FA gamble. If the bad contract is 2 years, it effectively positions us to use it after next year's draft (2019) in a salary swap to a tanking team.  We are going to have between $40 to $50 million in free cap space in 2019-20 with a deep young core. This is not a 6 year rebuild. The salaries don't stack up that way.  This is why THjr was allowed to walk, to not tie up that salary room after next season. It's long game, not short.

• Like 3

This isn't the NFL draft.  Not a lot of moving up and down with draft picks. In the NBA the talent drops off so quickly that moving 5 spots can be the difference of a productive guy and a total scrub.  This draft looks fairly exceptional to me.  Looks like a lot of talented guys all the way through the second round.

Denver needs a productive guy.  So I would think pick 14 is available for somebody that could help them or if we take a salary and they can sign somebody it might work.

34 minutes ago, Hawk88 said:

Is Noah Vonleh really that bad of a contract at 4 million?  I would not trade my number 9 pick to get rid of him, need to get something good back.  I think a bad contract is over 10 million a year.  4 million is filler in this league.

Joakim ... Unless I missed the sarcasm. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thecampster said:

A Philly type rebuild is unrealistic because our cap situation going forward is too flexible.  This is the main reason we'd be willing to take on a bad contract.  We have the cap flexibility to ride out a bad contract the next year or 2.  This is about player salary averages.  108 million cap divided by 15 players is 7.2 million per player. A mid-first round pick is only 2 million dollars. This means that a $12 mil bad contract + a $2 mil rookie is the same as a 2nd round rookie + a $13 million FA gamble. If the bad contract is 2 years, it effectively positions us to use it after next year's draft (2019) in a salary swap to a tanking team.  We are going to have between $40 to $50 million in free cap space in 2019-20 with a deep young core. This is not a 6 year rebuild. The salaries don't stack up that way.  This is why THjr was allowed to walk, to not tie up that salary room after next season. It's long game, not short.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEGGzackly.

8 hours ago, thecampster said:

It's a Philly style rebuild because our GM intentionally bottomed the team out talent wise and is building from scratch.  It's going to take years to get good again, if they ever get good again.  

8 minutes ago, KB21 said:

It's a Philly style rebuild because our GM intentionally bottomed the team out talent wise and is building from scratch.  It's going to take years to get good again, if they ever get good again.  

Let it go man, it’s just not so. Hell, a healthy Menace, Gaze, Printz, J-Bap, ¿Dedmon Walking? next year is already a 30+ win 9th or 10th seed. Hawks will be back in playoffs in ‘19-‘20.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, hazer said:

Let it go man, it’s just not so. Hell, a healthy Menace, Gaze, Printz, J-Bap, ¿Dedmon Walking? next year is already a 9th-10th seed. Hawks will be back in playoffs in ‘19-‘20.

Based on what?  Dennis is a net negative player for the Hawks.  Baze had a really good year for him.  Prince is still a net negative player due to his defense and turnovers.  Collins is still a young player.  Dedmon will be walking to another team.  Those 5 combined for 15.9 win shares this year.

Edited by KB21

In fact, I'm not really convinced that there is more than 1 player currently on this roster that will be here when this team is good again.  John Collins is the only guy I'd go to bat for right now, and they may screw that up by drafting Marvin Bagley III, duplicating what they have in Collins and making him expendable, lengthening the rebuild instead of adding to the good pick they made this past year.  Prince's contract will be up before the team is good again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Based on what?  Dennis is a net negative player for the Hawks.  Baze had a really good year for him.  Prince is still a net negative player due to his defense and turnovers.  Collins is still a young player.  Dedmon will be walking to another team.

Based on Bud, Hawks U, continued improvement from those said starters via Bud/Hawks U, continued development of the bench (Dorsey, Bembry, Taylor, etc) via Bud/Hawks U, an added future star via Top 5 pick coached up via Bud/Hawks U, and the fact that next year’s draft is weaker than this year’s so they won’t be tanking hard for a Top 5 slot. I realize Dedmon may be walking, thus my use of “¿?”. Sign Nurk or somebody and they’re still 9th or 10th. I already have your crow avatar selected ;)

Edited by hazer

2 minutes ago, hazer said:

Based on Bud, Hawks U, continued improvement from those said starters via Bud/Hawks U, continued development of the bench (Dorsey, Bembry, Taylor, etc) via Ud/Hawks U, an added future star via Top 5 pick coached up via Bud/Hawks U, and the fact that next year’s draft is weaker than this year’s so they won’t be tanking hard for a Top 5 slot. I realize Dedmon may be walking, thus my use of “¿?”. Substitute a trade for Nurk or somebody and they’re still 9th or 10th. I already have your crow avatar selected ;)

Bud isn't going to be here either, so the team takes another step back with Jarron Collins as it's head coach.  

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Bud isn't going to be here either, so the team takes another step back with Jarron Collins as it's head coach.  

Not happening.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hawk88 said:

I think they can get 3 players out of this draft. Stink next year for the 4th. Add those to Collins, Prince and move Schraeder for another piece.  That's better that about half the piece of crap NBA teams.

So, we are banking on unlikely scenarios?