• Current Donation Goals

• Raised 390.00 USD of 700.00 USD target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

14 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Why do you assume that our only options were keep Sap and Dwight or blow it all up?  Besides, we all know we do not retain our own free agents, so sooner or later, our "superstar" draft picks will leave at their earliest opportunity.

So stay mediocre forever who were we signing this past offseason with the little cap space we had that would have made us a playoff team?

4 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

You’re being obtuse and argumentative.  We obviously have different definitions of “work”.  You create an impossibly high standard of success for tanking (championship contender within 2 years) and a laughably low standard for success for other strategies (first round playoff exits in perpetuity) and use them as your “proofs” that your favored strategy succeeds more frequently.  

Then defend the position.  Show me the data that proves tanking is not only a strategy that works but the right strategy to take.

2 minutes ago, deester11 said:

and why do you assume thought those were the only options?

Here's a novel thought. Offer up something other than the we're going to lose  schtick.  Or buy the team and help us out of the pit of despair.  Funny thing is, you're half reading posts.  I've not said I want the highest draft pick, or we can tank our way to the top.  I didn't want to keep doing the same nonsense....so yeah, I'm supporting my team and expect better however it may come.

Because the only option ever mentioned on here is retaining Millsap and Howard.  It is the standard reply to any non-tanking sentiment.

2 minutes ago, davis171 said:

So stay mediocre forever who were we signing this past offseason with the little cap space we had that would have made us a playoff team?

I guess making trades was out of the question, huh?

Just now, Watchman said:

Because the only option ever mentioned on here is retaining Millsap and Howard.  It is the standard reply to any non-tanking sentiment.

I guess making trades was out of the question, huh?

Yes every player was available for trade at the deadline outside of Collins nobody was wanted. We have less assets than any team outside of Brooklyn and even they have Deangelo Russell who is still a good prospect. Hell we couldn't get a 1st for Howard.

5 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Yes every player was available for trade at the deadline outside of Collins nobody was wanted. We have less assets than any team outside of Brooklyn and even they have Deangelo Russell who is still a good prospect. Hell we couldn't get a 1st for Howard.

I thought this conversation was about the pre-season, before we started trading for and signing all the untalented players.

3 minutes ago, davis171 said:

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/awards/by_type/Bill-Russell-NBA-Finals-MVP/17 1 of the last 20 finals MVPs were drafted in the lottery.

5%.  Good track record.  Oops 10% now.

Edited by Watchman

2 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I thought this conversation was about the pre-season, before we started trading for signing all the untalented players.

I'm 100% talking about the preseason we had no assets last year either dude. Millsap and Korver kinda which we got a first for. The hawks have been devoid of assets for years.

Edited by davis171

Yes, you can propose all the trades you want, but the fact is, we have not built trade capital over the the last decade, we have squandered it. 

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/03/nba-tanking-teams-bulls-hawks-suns-knicks-kings

WHICH REBUILD IS THE SADDEST?

Atlanta Hawks. The poor Hawks spent a decade loitering in the middle of the Eastern Conference just to have one empty 60-win season (they were swept by the Cavs in the playoffs) and then watch their good-but-never-great core fall apart. Now, the Hawks are comprised of career backups, a lead guard who elicits enmity as much as excitement, and a couple recent mid-first round draft picks who might only be OK. Finally, a roster worthy of Atlanta’s notoriously insipid home crowds.

By my calculations, the Hawks are the only NBA team without a prospective star (sorry, Dennis Schröder), and they don’t sport a single top-10 selection on the squad. Kent Bazemore, who would make a great eighth man, is their highest-paid player. Sure, they’ll have cap space next summer, but marquee free agents seem allergic to the ATL.

The only good thing about Atlanta’s situation is that the Hawks might actually be awful enough to snag the top spot in the draft. Oh, and John Collins dunks, at least they have those. — Ben Teitelbaum

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CBAreject said:

Yes, you can propose all the trades you want, but the fact is, we have not built trade capital over the the last decade, we have squandered it. 

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/11/03/nba-tanking-teams-bulls-hawks-suns-knicks-kings

WHICH REBUILD IS THE SADDEST?

Atlanta Hawks. The poor Hawks spent a decade loitering in the middle of the Eastern Conference just to have one empty 60-win season (they were swept by the Cavs in the playoffs) and then watch their good-but-never-great core fall apart. Now, the Hawks are comprised of career backups, a lead guard who elicits enmity as much as excitement, and a couple recent mid-first round draft picks who might only be OK. Finally, a roster worthy of Atlanta’s notoriously insipid home crowds.

By my calculations, the Hawks are the only NBA team without a prospective star (sorry, Dennis Schröder), and they don’t sport a single top-10 selection on the squad. Kent Bazemore, who would make a great eighth man, is their highest-paid player. Sure, they’ll have cap space next summer, but marquee free agents seem allergic to the ATL.

The only good thing about Atlanta’s situation is that the Hawks might actually be awful enough to snag the top spot in the draft. Oh, and John Collins dunks, at least they have those. — Ben Teitelbaum

More media glorification of tanking as a strategy, calling a 60 win season an empty season simply because they didn't win the championship that season.  Having tanking teams generates more clicks for these blog writers.

• Like 1

Just now, KB21 said:

More media glorification of tanking as a strategy, calling a 60 win season an empty season simply because they didn't win the championship that season.  Having tanking teams generates more clicks for these blog writers.

They got swept by a team without their 2nd or 3rd best player yes as empty as 60 wins gets.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, davis171 said:

so what is the quickest way to win a championship in your opinion? Try and be a 4-6 seed ever year while paying luxury tax with no star to bring in fans and pray everyone gets hurt?

The quickest way to a championship is to convince the best FAs in the league that you have the atmosphere to win a championship.  Everybody always says that everybody wants to play with Lebron.  When Durant was a free agent, he did not reach out to Cleveland.  He went to the Town and played with the team that gave him the best possibility of winning a championship.  He liked their organization.  He liked their coaching.   He liked their team.   It happens over and over and people miss it.   People miss the fact that young stars.. don't win anything.   And in a Losing situation, Young stars want out. 

Just now, Diesel said:

The quickest way to a championship is to convince the best FAs in the league that you have the atmosphere to win a championship.  Everybody always says that everybody wants to play with Lebron.  When Durant was a free agent, he did not reach out to Cleveland.  He went to the Town and played with the team that gave him the best possibility of winning a championship.  He liked their organization.  He liked their coaching.   He liked their team.   It happens over and over and people miss it.   People miss the fact that young stars.. don't win anything.   And in a Losing situation, Young stars want out. 

Because they drafted steph and klay after years of tanking!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, davis171 said:

Didn't Deadmon start 30+ games for a spurs team that won 60+ games last year? but I guess that isn't valuable.

Didn't Zaza start for the world champion Golden State Warriors?

I guess he's a top 5 C too?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Watchman said:

5%.  Good track record.

He misspoke and got it backwards.  2 out of the last 20 were NOT drafted in the lottery (kawhi Leonard and tony Parker).  Of course, there’s a lot to quibble about both ways (being finals mvp doesn’t mean you’re the team’s best player, some of these players were not drafted by the teams they played for), but it makes the point.  

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Right, saying it is a “sad rebuild” is “glorification” of tanking.  

• Premium Member
Just now, davis171 said:

Because they drafted steph and klay after years of tanking!

If all you see is Steph and Klay, then you have missed it.  You know who else have tanked for years?  Minnesota.   Dallas.   Charlotte. New York.   Tanking is meaningless without the right structure and environment.   Why do you think the Spurs never have a down year.,, No matter who shows up??  Certainly it's not Parker and Ginobili.