The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Plainview1981 said:

The GM probably could have went for more of a retooling (You can't pay Sap what Denver is paying him and Howard needed to go) , game plan, but it is what it is. Changing coaches now probably means a worse record last year. More young players, less experienced vets that help you win extra games and a new coach possibly will lead to a below 20 win season next  year.                                                                                            

Oh no...No way you keep Sap at 33! So I agree with getting younger.  Also agreed with tanking this year but not after this year.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Lmbo....sorry to see you go.  I'm in the camp that you can't change the direction so hope great drafting and pray for good FA decisions, otherwise whine about it.  The direction is set.  Nothing we can do about it..and I hate losing but I'm ready to get some direction that the team will go in.  Not seeing the doom...but there is gloom...

You misunderstand...I said tanking in the future!

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

You misunderstand...I said tanking in the future!

Very much.  This season is done.  The major anti-tankers are semi correct in that the pieces are going to dictate the length of how bad Atlanta is.  Honestly, I thought with a good draft, Bud University was good for 35 wins next year.  If not, the new coach will have us back in the lottery.  In any case, I'm all in for Schlenk until i see what this offseason holds.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, deester11 said:

Very much.  This season is done.  The major anti-tankers are semi correct in that the pieces are going to dictate the length of how bad Atlanta is.  Honestly, I thought with a good draft, Bud University was good for 35 wins next year.  If not, the new coach will have us back in the lottery.  In any case, I'm all in for Schlenk until i see what this offseason holds.

I am less concern about our future record than the tank mentality.   I am still optimistic about the young talent on the team but I am done with losing on purpose

Philly definitely is the best young team in the league. They’re on the OKC trajectory. Just a stud team with young players with high end talent. Imagine if they didn’t tank and kept the treadmill they had going.  

• Like 3

On 4/13/2018 at 8:16 PM, Peoriabird said:

Kinda done with tanking...Just seems like The Hawks are destine to compete the hard way without a superstar player!  This team just can catch a break.  I don't want to sound like a Debbie downer but maybe @KB21 is right for the wrong reasons.  The Ping pong balls are just not going to go our way ever.  The one time it did, we drafted Marvin Williams and the other 2 times we got at least the 3rd pick we traded Pau Gasol and drafted Horford who is a nice player but not that Superstar. 

So from hence forward, I am against tanking!  Even if we get the #1 pick in this year's draft and especially if we are outside the top 3 or 4 picks in the lottery.  At some point you are what you are and the Hawk's ceiling is being a good team not a championship contender. You need a few breaks to go your way to get to that next level and those thing just don't happen to the Hawks.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

We'll get top 5. You'll still get one of your guys....It'll be ok. lol

9 minutes ago, Guard said:

Philly definitely is the best young team in the league. They’re on the OKC trajectory. Just a stud team with young players with high end talent. Imagine if they didn’t tank and kept the treadmill they had going.  

The Heat are a team that embraced a 'winning culture' this offseason and loaded their cap up with role players like Kelly O and James Johnson. Now they are a low end playoff team who is gonna be food for these squads at the top. They need to take a step back and offload some of these contracts, they're at least a destination NBA city.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Guard said:

Yeah.  If they hadn't tanked, they would have gotten better a lot faster.  They are still not the best young team in the league, and they are still going to lose in this series to the more seasoned Miami team.

8 minutes ago, DBac said:

The Heat are a team that embraced a 'winning culture' this offseason and loaded their cap up with role players like Kelly O and James Johnson. Now they are a low end playoff team who is gonna be food for these squads at the top. They need to take a step back and offload some of these contracts, they're at least a destination NBA city.

No, they shouldn't.  They should continue to compete and push forward with what they have.  

Pat Riley on tanking:

For me, it’s not through the draft, because lottery picks are living a life of misery. That season is miserable. And if you do three or four years in a row to get lottery picks, then I’m in an insane asylum. And the fans will be, too. So who wants to do that?

That's why Pat is one of the best executives in the NBA.  

Just now, KB21 said:

No, they shouldn't.  They should continue to compete and push forward with what they have.  

Pat Riley on tanking:

That's why Pat is one of the best executives in the NBA.  

Must've been weird for him sitting in the crowd as a team that was built up from tanking whooped his team in front of all those fans who embraced tanking.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yeah.  If they hadn't tanked, they would have gotten better a lot faster.  They are still not the best young team in the league, and they are still going to lose in this series to the more seasoned Miami team.

Total. And utter. Horse$hit...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Guard said:

There isn’t one. Embiid is better than every young player on both Boston and Utah. Simmons is a big time talent too. I can keep going but I think most us already know how talented this Philly squad is.  

And they missed on Jalil OKafur during the tank.. Imagine if they wouldve taken Porzingis that year. Oh my..