• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So the Hawks win the lottery, who should we take and why?

NBASupes

So the Hawks win the lottery, who should we take and why?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Without any workout knowledge or predraft measurements, I chose Doncic. My reasoning is finding anyone that can give 20,  5, and 5 is almost impossible.

This is what I am talking about. There was only ten players in the NBA last year that put up something near 5 boards ( low boards Steph and Tyreke at 5.1 ) and 5 assist a game ( low assist man Butler at 4.9 ).

Out of those ten only Chris Paul, Tyreke Evans, Steph Curry, Jimmy Butler, Lebron James, James Harden, and Russell Westbrook scored 18 or more points a game. Take out Tyreke and you have a whose who of future hall of famers.

I think Doncic is a boom or bust type prospect; but if he booms his upside is closer to being in the HOF than anyone else in this draft. Ayton and Bagley are can't miss starters, I've no doubt in my mind about that. But we are on the bad end of the lottery for one reason, to be great. Doncic has that kind of upside.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I don't think he's slow. I think he lacks explosion, but he's strong enough for a guard and plays with enough motor that I don't think it's a problem. I see the concerns with his jumpshot and touch though.

He's slow. Why is it when it comes to Luka, no one wants to be honest. He's slow. He clearly not fast. I don't even think he lacks explosiveness like that. I actually think he does have some explosiveness like an ASU Harden. I just think he's slow. The NBA isn't about being strong enough, you got to be athletic enough to get to your spots. We saw Harden struggle with that for his first two NBA seasons. His jump shot is extremely quick but his release is low. I would be so confident in drafting him if he was 6'9 barefoot instead of 6'6 barefoot. 

Edited by NBASupes

2 hours ago, AHF said:

LMAO at comparing him to Jasikevicius.  You are seriously comparing him to a guy who went in the 6th round of the NBA draft (127th overall)?  Really?  Kasten got the pick voided but nobody had him as this type of prospect.  He did go on to win the 6th man of the year award so he had some talent but this is just a terrible comparison.

I am not comparing him at the same age. I am saying when Jasikevicius came to the NBA, the hype was that he was the best player in Europe and even better than Euros in the NBA like Peja and Hedo and that clearly wasn't the case. 

49 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Mr. Stats, 46.8 FG%, 32.3 3P%

You know, they hate saying it @terrell but Doncic is similar to Bembry. 

Poor defensively metrics but passes the eye test. 

While Bembry shot clearly won't translate, Doncic looks like it will, both still need work on it. 

Neither has a position, both are tweeners. 

Bembry is a jack of all trades, so is Doncic. 

Bembry is explosive but slow, so is Doncic. 

Bembry might even be longer. 

If we got low floor players to compare Bamba, Bagley, Ayton, Porter Jr, and JJJ to, why not have one for Doncic. 

Edited by NBASupes

@KB21, by the stats at St. Joes compared to Doncic, what makes him much different than Bembry? I have a strong inking but I want to know from you why Doncic is just this superior prospect to Bembry? Don't quote any articles either. I want this in your own words. 

17 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's slow. Why is it when it comes to Luka, no one wants to be honest. He's slow. He clearly not fast. I don't even think he lacks explosiveness like that. I actually think he does have some explosiveness like an ASU Harden. I just think he's slow. The NBA isn't about being strong enough, you got to be athletic enough to get to your spots. We saw Harden struggle with that for his first two NBA seasons. His jump shot is extremely quick but his release is low. I would be so confident in drafting him if he was 6'9 barefoot instead of 6'6 barefoot. 

He is playing against grown man 25 to 35 years old. He is the best player on the floor most of those nights. He has proven he is tough enough; his work outs should show his speed or lack there of as you state.

When he played in junior leagues against kids his own age, it was not even a contest.

Edited by Buzzard

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

He is playing against grown man 25 to 35 years old. He is the best player on the floor most of those nights. He has proven he is tough enough; his work outs should show his speed or lack there of as you state.

He's playing in Spain. They don't have the athletes as the NBA has. Look at Edy. He looked great in Spain till he had to play v. NBA athletes while Gobert looked so-so in France but translated athletically much better than Edy did. Athleticism matters in the NBA. 

I would rather him in the NCAA's. At least I can see him v. NBA caliber perimeter defenders like Miles and Mikal Bridges. Maybe he signs with a Big 12 team and I get to see him v. Javon Carter. I would feel much better with that than him going v. guys in Europe I know can defend to save their life. Former SL Hawk DeAndre Kane had him struggling with his full-court pressure. He wasn't even a decent defender for us in Summer League. 

He isn't doing workouts, that's what has me scared. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

He's playing in Spain. They don't have the athletes as the NBA has. Look at Edy. He looked great in Spain till he had to play v. NBA athletes while Gobert looked so-so in France but translated athletically much better than Edy did. Athleticism matters in the NBA. 

I would rather him in the NCAA's. At least I can see him v. NBA caliber perimeter defenders like Miles and Mikal Bridges. Maybe he signs with a Big 12 team and I get to see him v. Javon Carter. I would feel much better with that than him going v. guys in Europe I know can defend to save their life. Former SL Hawk DeAndre Kane had him struggling with his full-court pressure. He wasn't even a decent defender for us in Summer League. 

He isn't doing workouts, that's what has me scared. 

Maybe he preferred the idea of getting paid legally and not with hookers so he played in Europe. I am not going to hold not getting one or two years of college against him vs playing in Europe.

If he does not work out, and we do not move up much, maybe he drops in our lap at 3 or 4. I doubt it but you never know.

Just now, Buzzard said:

Maybe he preferred the idea of getting paid legally and not with hookers so he played in Europe. I am not going to hold not getting one or two years of college against him vs playing in Europe.

If he does not work out, and we do not move up much, maybe he drops in our lap at 3 or 4. I doubt it but you never know.

He won't work out with anyone due to EuroLeague and he said he needs a break if they are eliminated. A lot of NBA officials said, they seen his practices, games, etc and know what he is and are comfortable not doing a workout with him. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

All these guys are flawed, have weaknesses etc., some more than others.

There is no LeBron in this draft, what you hope for is a guy who exceeds expectations, ala Donovan Mitchell.

There was a GM poll (I yhink) and there wasn't a consensus on the #1 pick.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He won't work out with anyone due to EuroLeague and he said he needs a break if they are eliminated. A lot of NBA officials said, they seen his practices, games, etc and know what he is and are comfortable not doing a workout with him. 

We will see. I hope we get him but think Bagley and Ayton will fit just as well. It is the next two or three players I am not sold on as being can't miss starters.

11 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

There is no LeBron in this draft, what you hope for is a guy who exceeds expectations, ala Donovan Mitchell.

Ayton's workouts will make or break him as far as going #1. I think most are already sold on what Bagley will bring. It is crazy to think this but I do,

Bagley is the can't miss future all star and may not go in the top two.

Ayton is a can't miss starter.

Doncic is the biggest boom or bust player.

That is how I see them.

Edited by Buzzard

39 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I agree. I think it's foolish in this draft to have one player much higher than the others. I have a top 5. I think all of them could develop into All NBA players, not just All-Stars but All NBA with the right personnel and development. That's Bamba, Bagley, Ayton, Doncic, and Porter Jr. 

I like guys like Young, Carter Jr, Sexton, JJJ, and Shai-GA in the right situation. 

I love both of the Bridges but there is a clear gap between them and the top 5 guys for me. 

This is the first draft where I really don't know from 1-5. I mean, it just depends on fit. I personally like Bamba a lot more than others. I personally dislike JJJ a lot more than others. I am really high on Doncic, Bagley, Porter Jr, Ayton, and Bamba. I really think this is like the NFL draft this year with QB's. It depends on the team more than anything. I personally want us to take the best player available. That's what I want. But whoever we draft, better be all NBA plenty and often. I know it takes more than a superstar to win a title but I want us to hit this out of the park. 

Edited by NBASupes

Anybody besides young.  I can see reasonsons for donic, ayton and bagley. My hope is we take the talented big. JJ, Bamba and porter are toss ups. If healthy I think porter may surprise. Young I just can’t get behind.  Porters my wild card if healthy. More than likely assuming we don’t get top two we take bagley his floor still makes him better than many of the other players outside porters back.

• Like 1

I’m just reading the last 20 posts and you guys and gal have mentioned Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Porter jr., Bamba, Trae Young, etc. 

im just giddy that most likely, one of these guys will be a Hawk! Not sure if that’s sad or what but we’ve only had this opportunity a few times in the millennium with Gasol 3rd (traded)in 2001, Childress 6th in 2004, Marvin 2nd in 2005, Shelden Williams 5th in 2006 and Horford 3rd in 2007. We’ve had 5 real chances at top picks. Looking back I’d say we went 2/5 with Gasol and Horford. 

Lets nail this one! 

T minus 19.5 hours ...

• Like 2

It's hard to imagine passing on Ayton. And I like him more now that we have Pierce. I think he'd be better at lighting a fire under him than Bud would have been. On the flip side, I'm less interested in Doncic without Bud. His passing and shooting potential seemed like Bud's dream. Bagley is the only other player I would consider at #1 (for now), but I think his overall potential is a tick below the other two and he doesn't fit as well with Collins.