• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk is a motherf*@*ing monster!

NBASupes

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do you think Schlenk wants to trade Dedmon? or Baze for that matter?

For one, he wants to make sure the Hawks have a sub 20 win season in 2018-2019.  Second, he tried to move Bazemore in the deal with Dallas.  Travis has no desire to compete anytime soon, so any player that may help the Hawks steal a few wins is going to be on the block..  

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, KB21 said:

For one, he wants to make sure the Hawks have a sub 20 win season in 2018-2019.  Second, he tried to move Bazemore in the deal with Dallas.  Travis has no desire to compete anytime soon, so any player that may help the Hawks steal a few wins is going to be on the block..  

How do you know this? Plus there is less of an incentive to lose this year because of the changes in the lottery rule. And he might have a total of 3 lottery picks

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Why do you think Schlenk wants to trade Dedmon? or Baze for that matter?

Payroll.

Remember, these are still the Hawks.  And ownership isn't going to spend a lot of money if we're not trying to make the playoffs at this time.  Plus, they still want to be a player next summer, for possibly Draymond Green.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

How do you know this? Plus there is less of an incentive to lose this year because of the changes in the lottery rule. And he might have a total of 3 lottery picks

He doesn't, he hit on 3 out of 100 predictions and now hes acting like Ms. Cleo

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Payroll.

Remember, these are still the Hawks.  And ownership isn't going to spend a lot of money if we're not trying to make the playoffs at this time.  Plus, they still want to be a player next summer, for possibly Draymond Green.

How does Dedmon impact free agent signings next year?

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

He doesn't, he hit on 3 out of 100 predictions and now hes acting like Ms. Cleo

Just weird how these guys think that the Hawks just want to trade talent for nothing.  And when has the payroll been an issue.  They have one of the lowest payrolls in the league and trading Dedmon won't impact the payroll that much.  Seem like KB is more interested in the tank than Schlenk is. LOL!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

He's all but said that this is still his desire.  He isn't looking at add any veteran talent that can help this team win now.  He's only looking to add bad money if it comes with "assets" he can use in the future.  This is a Philly style tank.  You might as well start realizing it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

How does Dedmon impact free agent signings next year?

Zero impact.  He will be an UFA next year and his cap space can be added with no trouble.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, KB21 said:

He's all but said that this is still his desire.  He isn't looking at add any veteran talent that can help this team win now.  He's only looking to add bad money if it comes with "assets" he can use in the future.  This is a Philly style tank.  You might as well start realizing it.

That was to add draft picks before the draft.  He didn't do it!  So maybe it was another smoke screen  

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Anyway go ahead and continue to think that way you think.  I'll keep your prediction of 18 wins on file.  Good luck with that! LOL!

He didn't even hire a credible coach.  He hired a coach that he knew would do nothing to slow down the tank.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

You dont know that. Look if you got a problem, take it to my PMs Keith. 

Supes this guys are simply hating.

you where the first to say :

1) Sac for Bagley

2) Doncic to Atlanta

3) Hawks looking for unprotected 1st with Dallas or Orl ( turned out to be top 5 protected) 

4) Cleveland getting Sexton

thats pretty solid . 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drzachary said:

We didn’t get a pick for Luka, though: we got a pick for the difference between Luka and Young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly correct.  

That is why I am still hopping mad at this.  I have been hyper-critical of Trae Young, but my anger has been misplaced.  Young is a fine young prospect and under proper coaching, should turn out to be a very good PG.  I just don't think that he had the same league-wide draft value as Doncic and Bamba.  It's not just about a team's own draft board, but also about getting the most out of a draft by using strategy.   

The Hawks had the stars aligned for a major overhaul.  A good job would have landed the team the tandem of Young and Bamba.  A great job would have also included Doncic.

A haul of Doncic, Bamba, and Young would have been worth taking the contracts of Biyombo and Parsons and trading away #19, Dedmon, Schröder and a first rounder next year.  

The deals were there to be made with Memphis and Orlando.  Both of those teams had immediate needs.  Memphis needed cap space and Orlando needed a PG and very much wanted to be rid of Biyombo's contract.  

Instead, Schlenck moved two spots down from a highly regarded #3, for a protected first rounder next season (supposedly a weaker draft).   He is still stuck with Dennis Schröder, who is talented, but does not fit into the rebuild.  He drafted two offensive prospects for a HC that is clearly defensive-minded.  And, he is sitting on a whole lot of cap space that will not be used on a high-end Free Agent.    

Sclenck and Ressler missed a rare opportunity that could have paid off handsomely in three seasons.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, ggp said:

Exactly correct.  

That is why I am still hopping mad at this.  I have been hyper-critical of Trae Young, but my anger has been misplaced.  Young is a fine young prospect and under proper coaching, should turn out to be a very good PG.  I just don't think that he had the same league-wide draft value as Doncic and Bamba.  It's not just about a team's own draft board, but also about getting the most out of a draft by using strategy.   

The Hawks had the stars aligned for a major overhaul.  A good job would have landed the team the tandem of Young and Bamba.  A great job would have also included Doncic.

A haul of Doncic, Bamba, and Young would have been worth taking the contracts of Biyombo and Parsons and trading away #19, Dedmon, Schröder and a first rounder next year.  

The deals were there to be made with Memphis and Orlando.  Both of those teams had immediate needs.  Memphis needed cap space and Orlando needed a PG and very much wanted to be rid of Biyombo's contract.  

Instead, Schlenck moved two spots down from a highly regarded #3, for a protected first rounder next season (supposedly a weaker draft).   He is still stuck with Dennis Schröder, who is talented, but does not fit into the rebuild.  He drafted two offensive prospects for a HC that is clearly defensive-minded.  And, he is sitting on a whole lot of cap space that will not be used on a high-end Free Agent.    

Sclenck and Ressler missed a rare opportunity that could have paid off handsomely in three seasons.

When the Warriors drafted Curry with the No. 7 pick in the 2009 draft, ESPN’s Chad Ford assigned the Warriors a grade of incomplete and cited that Curry could be a good back court pairing with Monta Ellis as “neither guy is a pure point guard.” The incomplete grade stemmed from a rumored potential trade of the Warriors sending a package of players, including Curry, to Phoenix for Amar’e Stoudemire. Of course, that trade never happened.

Bleacher Report awarded the Warriors a grade of A. They asked the rhetorical question as to whether Curry would be too small to pair in the back court with Ellis in addition to the common conception that Curry “can’t play defense.” Bleacher Report answered that question with “That’s ok. Don Nelson really doesn’t care about that anyway.”

The immediate conclusions of the Curry selection were pretty much a consensus that he would be an electric shooter but that he was a shooting guard stuck in a point guard’s body and he would struggle to handle defensive assignments. Though Young and Curry do not fit the same exact profile, as Young does profile a natural point guard, some of the questions that were attached to Curry apply to Young as he enters the league.

Two years after selecting Curry, the Warriors drafted Thompson with the No. 11 pick in the 2011 draft. Bleacher Report graded this selection a C and cited that the Warriors had “a wealth of wings and guards and would have been better off reaching for a big.”

Fox Sports didn’t grade the pick, but they did laud the pick but assessed that Thompson would “give the Warriors roughly the same things Kevin Martin gives the Houston Rockets.”

Tom Ziller of SB Nation gave the Warriors a grade of D+. He noted that Thompson would add shooting but that, defensively, Curry and Thompson would be “an awful porous backcourt.” And, to put it plainly, the major questions about Curry and Thompson as a back court pairing were certainly not limited to Ziller’s opinion.

Of course, hindsight is always 20/20 and none of this look back is intended to question the instant analysis provided by those we highlighted here. Rather, when instant reactions fuel doubt, it can be interesting, and even encouraging, to recall that many were wrong about players who have gone on to be elite players, especially when those players have some loose comparative association to players one’s favorite team selected on June 21.

Only time will tell when it comes to truly evaluating Atlanta’s 2018 draft class but history can be an interesting guide, at least in the meantime.

Check out this take from that Bleacher Report article on the 2009 draft:

3. Oklahoma City Thunder—James Harden

Grade: B+

James Harden actually complements Russell Westbrook's lack of shooting quite well. I feel like he is going to be a solid pro with decent upside. However, I still feel they could have made it work with Rubio and Westbrook in the back court together.

I wonder how much influence Westbrook being adamant about playing point guard and not moving to the two had on OKC not drafting Rubio?

9 hours ago, asdogg said:

Supes this guys are simply hating.

you where the first to say :

1) Sac for Bagley

2) Doncic to Atlanta

3) Hawks looking for unprotected 1st with Dallas or Orl ( turned out to be top 5 protected) 

4) Cleveland getting Sexton

thats pretty solid . 

My guy only came with information that he was hearing. I don't know why anyone would bad mouth it when we hear rumors that the Hawks strongly wanted Doncic leading up to the trade.