• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where's the defense??

Diesel

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, mcleitsy said:

Collins was the only untouchable asset at the trade deadline. If we're still talking about defensive woes next offseason he might be moved. He's just not getting the hype right now because he isn't a new pick. And a 30th overall pick isn't going to be ready to start day 1...or possibly even season 1. 

I don't disagree with this assessment but I believe that on draft day, Collins was not untouchable.  I've studied Schlenk and much to my surprise he is trying to rebuild GS.    

Spellman is exactly what he wants at PF because Spellman is more like Green than Collins. Guys like Bamba and Josh Jackson are probably on our radar.

1 minute ago, Diesel said:

I don't disagree with this assessment but I believe that on draft day, Collins was not untouchable.  I've studied Schlenk and much to my surprise he is trying to rebuild GS.    

Spellman is exactly what he wants at PF because Spellman is more like Green than Collins. Guys like Bamba and Josh Jackson are probably on our radar.

I think we are just trying to move Dennis and Bazemore and then see how the pieces fit. Players like Cousins and Bamba are just pipe dreams for fans right now.

I think Travis is thrilled with his last two drafts; and Prince looks like a keeper even though he did not pick him.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Orlando is hurtin for certain. I would move Schröder to them for a top five or ten protected in 2020/21, and unprotected in 2021/22. Any 1st round pick at all for Dennis would have to be seen as a win.

Super doubt that deal gets offered but I am sure Schlenk would snap that up.

Need payroll $$$$ relief?  Contact the Atlanta Hawks!

I know that the Hawks thing is, collecting future draft picks.  Right now, they have six for the next draft already.  Instead of trading away Collins to move Dennis, consider trading Dennis with a future draft pick, maybe a second rounder or two.

As I understand it, some of these high priced players that these other teams want to shed are actually able to play this NBA game and not like our very own Speedy a few seasons ago.  Any one know for sure?

Just now, AHF said:

Super doubt that deal gets offered but I am sure Schlenk would snap that up.

The rumor was he shopped Dennis to the Clips for one of their two picks. I am guessing he is still looking for a pick even if it is two years down the road.

• Moderators
Just now, Buzzard said:

The rumor was he shopped Dennis to the Clips for one of their two picks. I am guessing he is still looking for a pick even if it is two years down the road.

If he can get a first for Dennis without having to take on a brutal contract in return, he will absolutely do that deal before the other GM can change his mind.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Orlando is hurtin for certain. I would move Schröder to them for a top five or ten protected in 2020/21, and unprotected in 2021/22. Any 1st round pick at all for Dennis would have to be seen as a win.

Unlike Orlando, we won't be in the 1st round pick business for Long.   I think the plan is to do one more summer of first round pick trades.  So I doubt that we look to move Dennis like that.  The Dennis/Collins,  Bamba/Bismack trade is not a bad one.... It's just one that fans can't see because of Collins.   However, Bamba would fit Schlenk's plan.  Also,  A Dennis/Collins for Knight/ Josh Jackson trade could go down too.   I don't see Phoenix willing to invest much into Jackson and their pickup of Bridges tells me that.  Jackson will never be their SG and he's not defensive enough to be SF.   Whereas Collins could go in and probably start immediately. 

Just now, AHF said:

If he can get a first for Dennis without having to take on a brutal contract in return, he will absolutely do that deal before the other GM can change his mind.

We will take someone back; just hopefully not as long a deal. One year or more shorter hopefully.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Pipe dream.

Just now, Diesel said:

Unlike Orlando, we won't be in the 1st round pick business for Long.   I think the plan is to do one more summer of first round pick trades.  So I doubt that we look to move Dennis like that.  The Dennis/Collins,  Bamba/Bismack trade is not a bad one.... It's just one that fans can't see because of Collins.   However, Bamba would fit Schlenk's plan.  Also,  A Dennis/Collins for Knight/ Josh Jackson trade could go down too.   I don't see Phoenix willing to invest much into Jackson and their pickup of Bridges tells me that.  Jackson will never be their SG and he's not defensive enough to be SF.   Whereas Collins could go in and probably start immediately. 

I think you are wrong. Catching GSW or Houston is a long term plan; and everyone has seen what Ainge has done stock piling picks. Picks to draft or trade for players is the end game IMO.

I think a future pick for Dennis is right in Schelnk's wheelhouse.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I think you are wrong. Catching GSW or Houston is a long term plan; and everyone has seen what Ainge has done stock piling picks. Picks to draft or trade for players is the end game IMO.

I think a future pick for Dennis is right in Schelnk's wheelhouse.

Disagree. 

A long term plan will only catch them because their window is up.  Longterm plans rarely work.   I think it's about having the best players and that comes about by draft and by FAcy.  We messed up with Trae but that's another story.   I think you look for a team like Indy as being the next big superpower.  Just like Houston was one FA away, Indy is one FA away.   And Indy didn't have the longterm scheme that other teams do. 

Just now, Diesel said:

Disagree. 

A long term plan will only catch them because their window is up.  Longterm plans rarely work.   I think it's about having the best players and that comes about by draft and by FAcy.  We messed up with Trae but that's another story.   I think you look for a team like Indy as being the next big superpower.  Just like Houston was one FA away, Indy is one FA away. 

Disagree wholeheartedly. We got Trae and a future pick. That is Schlenk's wheelhouse. You want to throw your narrative on him by trading away two young players ( Dennis and Collins ) when nothing about GSW where he came from; or what he has done here would indicate he would do such a thing.

Yours is the pipe dream. Mine is just following what he is inclined to do. Gather picks for the future until we are ready for free agency.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

@Diesel

Now that we have the bet thread, care to wager avatar choosing on that?  If Dennis gets moved in a trade with Collins that doesn't return a comparable value young player for Collins, you pick my avatar for 2 months (two consecutive months and you pick when they start).  If Dennis gets moved without Collins (or with a comparable young player to Collins returning) or Dennis stays for the year, I'll get 1 month of picking  yours (I pick when that starts).

Did he respond to the bet?   

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Disagree wholeheartedly. We got Trae and a future pick. That is Schlenk's wheelhouse. You want to throw your narrative on him by trading away two young players ( Dennis and Collins ) when nothing about GSW where he came from; or what he has done here would indicate he would do such a thing.

GSW traded Dorrell Wright after he averaged 16 ppg to Phi for Jarrett Jack.

GSW traded Monte Ellis (in his prime) for Stephen Jackson and oft injured Andrew Bogut. 

Those guys and this guy operates from a blueprint that doesn't necessarily care about talent. 

• Premium Member

Now I'm upset.

Trading Collins would be one of the DUMBEST things any GM could do. He put up 10 and 7 last season averaging 24 minutes a game while having to play through lineup inconsistencies and literally having no offense run for him while also having the highest PER on the team. Per 36 that would be 16 and 10. I can't even count how many games last season he ended with the a positive plus/minus even when we were getting blown out. His defensive problems were overblown and he has shown good improvement. His ability to score in the pick and roll is already elite, he displayed an underrated passing ability, in college he did well in the post, and has shown some flashes of shooting as well as putting the ball on the floor for straight line drives. That is LITERALLY being able to score on any level. 

And to top it all, he did it with DENNIS as his point guard. Imagine what he could do with Trae going around screens and drawing in defenses? Not to mention he would be able to find him and set him up for scoring positions that would result in easy baskets.

Than again, it would be typical for the hawks to ruin a potential Nash/Stoudemire dynamic .

• Like 1

• Premium Member

The biggest mistake the Braves made in their rebuild was using Kimbrel to unload BJ (or Melvin, whatever) Upton’s albatross contract. I doubt Schlenk makes a similar mistake. The premise here is silly. (Side note: That trade did net us a draft pick that became Austin Riley, but attaching Upton’s contract to Kimbrel certainly devalued Kimbrel at a time when the Braves were supposed to be collecting assets.)

57 minutes ago, Diesel said:

GS plays Green at the 5 in their small ball lineup. I think even if Spellman surpasses expectations, he can start at the 5. He's 6'9"....what's Draymond? 6'7" tops? And honestly, best case scenario of Prince>Collins>Spellman at 3>4>5 doesn't sound horrible on defense based on potential.