• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who might be this FA season's quality acquisitions by the Colonel?

sturt

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

We will not add anyone who will make this team better even if we have a chance to. 

I repeat. Because that's what Schlenk did last year?

To be clear, it's not that we'll be trying to make the 2018-19 team better. But it's altogether likely that Schlenk will be trying to add some assets that will bring some additional draft picks either at the deadline or even immediately via taking on bad contracts so that others can add FAs.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

I repeat. Because that's what Schlenk did last year?

To be clear, it's not that we'll be trying to make the 2018-19 team better. But it's altogether likely that Schlenk will be trying to add some assets that will bring some additional draft picks either at the deadline or even immediately via taking on bad contracts so that others can add FAs.

I think it's clear we won't be adding anyone significant as an outright free agent.  Adding some rando via trade ... to gain an asset ... that's another story.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Who are yall kidding?   We'll be adding gleague guys, if anything. 

Michael Beasley?  Are y'all serious? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.peachtreehoops.com/platform/amp/2018/5/29/17405116/michael-beasley-atlanta-hawks-nba-free-agency-rumors-new-york-knicks-phoenix-suns

• Premium Member

Why all the fuss...Schlenk has already stated that we ate going to sit out the early frenzy which means no high dollar contracts, he's also said he open to taking bad contracts for 1sts.

We've got $20 mil in capspace so no Cousins. (Besides he doesn't fit our timeline)

Say we use $10-$15 to take on a bad contract for a 1st, that leaves $10 - $5 mil left for 2 FAs, unless we take on even more money but send out something like Plumlees $12 mil. to offset the amounts. 

We won't be using the MLE either.

Beasley....eeech.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Why all the fuss...Schlenk has already stated that we ate going to sit out the early frenzy which means no high dollar contracts, he's also said he open to taking bad contracts for 1sts.

We've got $20 mil in capspace so no Cousins. (Besides he doesn't fit our timeline)

Say we use $10-$15 to take on a bad contract for a 1st, that leaves $10 - $5 mil left for 2 FAs, unless we take on even more money but send out something like Plumlees $12 mil. to offset the amounts. 

Beasley....eeech.

Exactly! Once the dust settles we will see what kind of quality is out there to be had.

13 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

I'll let you in on a little secret.  Every agent of a guy looking to be signed knows which teams have space.

IOW, seeing our name in these meaningless reports is just that ... meaningless.

• Like 1

Beasley doesn't make much sense to me. He's a guy you add to a playoff team and hope he can give you a spark off of the bench. If we add a veteran then it needs to be more of the mentor variety. Not "SupercoolBeas."

8 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'll let you in on a little secret.  Every agent of a guy looking to be signed knows which teams have space.

IOW, seeing our name in these meaningless reports is just that ... meaningless.

Your opinion may be it’s meaningless. It may be all smoke and no fire. However, it’s out there and could also be a possibility.

Beasley....eeech.

I don't think we need to tank past this year. We will have collected enough assets by this time next year. With Prince about to enter his 3rd season we need to end this rebuild before we need to start paying these guys. With a core of Young, Prince and Collins we've got 3 guys to build with. Hopefully we can add another wing at the top of this next draft. All we will need then is a center.

Nerlens Noel would be more attainable and actually fits closer to our objectives on paper, but we're in a unique situation this offseason where everyone is capped out and we're flush with money. I believe 25 out of 30 teams are over the cap and we've got 20 million to play with. Cousins coming off the Achilles will miss most of the year and if he does play he won't do much. At his best though we know he's All-NBA talent. The Pelicans probably are not going to be excited about resigning him considering they did well enough without him. If the Pelicans aren't interested, where is Cousins going to go? Give him essentially a 2 year deal, and get him on board with the plan that we'll be ready to compete in 2019. This makes sense to me, just because his market will be limited and while he hates losing, he won't be doing much of anything this season no matter where he ends up.

• Premium Member

I believe the idea is to try to project into the future who might potentially gain you something at the deadline in return from a playoff team looking for a spark off the bench.

10 minutes ago, High5 said:

Beasley doesn't make much sense to me. He's a guy you add to a playoff team and hope he can give you a spark off of the bench. If we add a veteran then it needs to be more of the mentor variety. Not "SupercoolBeas."

I do agree there. He wouldn’t get enough time to justify what it’d cost to sign him unless we lost Dedmon, shifted JC to center, and either start him at PF or give him backup minutes at SF/PF. It’s something I heard and I thought it would be a great piece to add, build value, and package in a trade.

6 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Your opinion may be it’s meaningless. It may be all smoke and no fire. However, it’s out there and could also be a possibility.

"It's out there"?  I'd be hesitant to rely on these "reports".

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

"It's out there"?  I'd be hesitant to rely on these "reports".

It’s a hope. Not necessarily something I’m certain of. I mean it is the off-season. Can you let us enjoy our speculating on possible additions please sir ? Is that ok with you ?

3 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

It’s a hope. Not necessarily something I’m certain of. I mean it is the off-season. Can you let us enjoy our speculating on possible additions please sir ? Is that ok with you ?

No.  Not when we'r talking about adding a dreg like Beasley.

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

No.  Not when we'r talking about adding a dreg like Beasley.

God damn dream killer. He’s going to be great trade bait after turning his career around in Atlanta. 

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

I don't think we need to tank past this year. We will have collected enough assets by this time next year. With Prince about to enter his 3rd season we need to end this rebuild before we need to start paying these guys. With a core of Young, Prince and Collins we've got 3 guys to build with. Hopefully we can add another wing at the top of this next draft. All we will need then is a center.

Nerlens Noel would be more attainable and actually fits closer to our objectives on paper, but we're in a unique situation this offseason where everyone is capped out and we're flush with money. I believe 25 out of 30 teams are over the cap and we've got 20 million to play with. Cousins coming off the Achilles will miss most of the year and if he does play he won't do much. At his best though we know he's All-NBA talent. The Pelicans probably are not going to be excited about resigning him considering they did well enough without him. If the Pelicans aren't interested, where is Cousins going to go? Give him essentially a 2 year deal, and get him on board with the plan that we'll be ready to compete in 2019. This makes sense to me, just because his market will be limited and while he hates losing, he won't be doing much of anything this season no matter where he ends up.

Next year, I think is when we start to make a run in free agency. 

We have not seen what this draft class can do yet on the court. 

Schlenk also said, he's seen teams get impatient signing high dollar free agents to soon then by the time your draftees are ready for their new contracts you have to worry about the cap because you've overpaid a free agent too soon - see Orlando with Bizmack and now having to resign Gordon when they've also paud Fournier.

I have zero interest in Cousins. He'll go to LAL with LBG.

10 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

God damn dream killer. He’s going to be great trade bait after turning his career around in Atlanta. 

Pass on Beasley.