• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Right Now.. Trae Is...

Diesel

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Anyway I said potential not my expectations, Stop reading into things I say with things you want to hear. tyvm

Don't be dissapointed when that potential doesn't pan out.  He can be a HOF and not meet a single one of those goals.

Just now, AHF said:

Don't be dissapointed when that potential doesn't pan out.  He can be a HOF and not meet a single one of those goals.

I won't be mom.

My expectations are way different than what I see as potential. My expectation is improvement and growth into a starting Point Guard with great vision and range. My view of his potential is off the charts,

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AHF said:

They are not goals AHF. You should understand we cannot set goals for people we don't even personally know, Come on now. One more time, it was potential that I posted.

Not goals or expectations or any other non potential related word you want to paraphrase for me.

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Buzzard said:

They are not goals AHF. You should understand we cannot set goals for people we don't even personally know, Come on now. One more time, it was potential that I posted.

Not goals or expectations or any other non potential related word you want to paraphrase for me.

You are right — feel free to dream as big as you want.  

1 minute ago, AHF said:

You are right — feel free to dream as big as you want.  

Much closer. Not any different than dreaming of a NBA Championship in my lifetime. Is Trae the first piece?

That is my hope,

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Much closer. Not any different than dreaming of a NBA Championship in my lifetime. Is Trae the first piece?

That is my hope,

Me too.  I just have zero expectation that we will see that combo of HOFers in Trae or anyone else.  No more realistic to me than hoping to see Spellman to combine Dirk's shooting, Derrick Coleman's agility, Deke's shotblocking and Sabonis's passing -- even though he has the potential to be unusually good in any or all of those areas if he hits his ceiling.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AHF said:

Me too.  I just have zero expectation that we will see that combo of HOFers in Trae or anyone else.  No more realistic to me than hoping to see Spellman to combine Dirk's shooting, Derrick Coleman's agility, Deke's shotblocking and Sabonis's passing -- even though he has the potential to be unusually good in any or all of those areas if he hits his ceiling.

I said potential. You don't see any of their potential in him. Understood,

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I said potential. You don't see any of their potential in him. Understood,

Nash's ability to pass in close quarters while keeping his dribble alive is the most realistic of the bunch for me.  There is a ton of development needed to get Trae to this (especially in use of the dribble) but I'd put money on this one first if I had to bet.

I see Young having the potential to be a very good shooter with very deep range - Curry seems pushing it given how far of an outlier he is but this at least is theoretically possible for me if Trae becomes a similar historic outlier for his % conversion on those deep shots.  

AI's ability to get to the line.  AI used his superior athletic skills to get to the line above all else.  It wasn't so much about craftiness (although  he wasn't without craft) as the fact that people literally could not keep up with him and so ended up bumping or grabbing him due to his speed.  So that one is impossible for me.  Trae will never have that kind of athleticism.  The idea that he might become a consistent free throw producer is not.  AI peaked at  10-11 FTA/game which I don't think is realistic.  My dream for Young is to get to the line like Kevin Martin who got there very consistently on craftiness and I think his ceiling could even potentially exceed Martin's prime (7-10 FTA/game).

Magic and LeBron's ability to pass 3/4 court - this one to me is impossible as well.  Magic and LeBron had the height to throw these over guards and people who Trae will never be able to throw around.  There just literally will not be the same angles and planes available to him.  I do think Trae could do great throwing these deep passes (loved what we saw of that in SL) but he will never physically be able to make passes with defenders in space the way that Magic and LeBron could at their height which is what really distinguished their ability to throw those passes from many other great passers.  That height combined with their passing touch is a big part of what made both of them unique as playmakers.  

I just generally dislike comparing players with HOFers so you may find my thoughts nitpicky but to me it is fundamentally different to say that someone could become really good at getting to the line and to say they could do it like AI.  (And if they are doing it in a way different to how AI did it then that loops me back to my original thought of why make the comparison at all since it evokes the defining characteristics of those HOFers).

I shouldn't  have taken the posts through the lens I did (of setting unrealistic expectations).  Sorry about that.

AHF being diplomatic as always.  Buzzard, it’s impossible to really say what someone’s ceiling is, but the ceiling you’ve imagined is impossible for any player, much less a slight, 6’1” PG.  There’s no amount of hard work and tenacity that can make a player a physical or athletic freak if he’s just not.  Might as well say that his ceiling is the shot blocking ability of Deke and if someone argues with you protest that you said *potential* and not expectation.