• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft Analytics

bleachkit

I was exploring some of the draft analytics rankings on Trae Young and Kevin Huerter. Some negative , some positive. 

Analytics guy Kelvin Pelton has Trae ranked #3 and Kevin Huerter ranked #12.

ESPN's model did not have a strong opinion of our picks. Trae was ranked #10 and Kevin Heurter number #39.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23771351/espn-draft-analytics-model-makes-nba-draft-projections

Draft express guy Mike Schmitz had Trae as the fifth best guard and Kevin H. as the sixth best.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/underestimated23846350/2018-nba-draft-mock-drafts-rankings-best-players-trade-assets-more

Jesse Fisher uses probabilities with a quantile regression model. He had Trae at #3 and Kevin at #15.

http://www.tothemean.com/2018/06/10/nba-draft-2018.html

Half the Hawk players are new to the team this season.  We have some very young players.  Three teen age draft picks and four or five others, who are either on the roster or on two way contracts.

How much natural ability do all thee players have?  How much coachability do they have?  Collectively, will these individual players blend together into a team?  Do they have the IQ to learn and does Lloyd Pierce and associates have the ability to train them?

Finally, how will all these new puzzle pieces fit with the Hawks that were here from last season, along with new veterans Jeremy Lin and Vince Carter? 

Hawks have a new picture puzzle with bunches of new pieces.  Their three draft picks were, I believe, exactly who our GM wanted.  Also, he signed the other new Hawks because they were who he wanted. 

Some believe that all these Hawks will struggle to win 20 games this season.  Others hope for half the games to be victories.  Everything depends on how quickly these players become a team and how quickly the kids mature.

Hawks have a secret weapon that all these experts ignore.  Veteran Vince Carter is here to lead our youngsters.  A really, really great signing, I believe.

GO ATL DREAM !!

I think it's clear Schlenk values skill over athleticism. He wants guys that can all shoot, pass, etc. For this to work we need a guy that can be our all purpose defender, rebounder, agitator, a Draymond Green type. I think that's asking a lot of Omari Spellman to expect him to fill that role. Also, it's hard for analytics to account for how a guy fits into the framework of a team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gray Mule said:

Half the Hawk players are new to the team this season.  We have some very young players.  Three teen age draft picks and four or five others, who are either on the roster or on two way contracts.

How much natural ability do all thee players have?  How much coachability do they have?  Collectively, will these individual players blend together into a team?  Do they have the IQ to learn and does Lloyd Pierce and associates have the ability to train them?

Finally, how will all these new puzzle pieces fit with the Hawks that were here from last season, along with new veterans Jeremy Lin and Vince Carter? 

Hawks have a new picture puzzle with bunches of new pieces.  Their three draft picks were, I believe, exactly who our GM wanted.  Also, he signed the other new Hawks because they were who he wanted. 

Some believe that all these Hawks will struggle to win 20 games this season.  Others hope for half the games to be victories.  Everything depends on how quickly these players become a team and how quickly the kids mature.

Hawks have a secret weapon that all these experts ignore.  Veteran Vince Carter is here to lead our youngsters.  A really, really great signing, I believe.

GO ATL DREAM !!

This isn't a 30 year old Vince Carter.  His biggest impact will be in the locker room.  His impact on the court will be minimal at best.  

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

This isn't a 30 year old Vince Carter.  His biggest impact will be in the locker room.  His impact on the court will be minimal at best.  

Yep.  Locker room AND the bench!  He is expecting to play.  Not a lot of minutes, but the time he does spend on the court will be setting the example.  Our young Hawks need this.  Just being on the bench when he's resting (a lot) will still be good for our young lads.

:MooseGoggles:

11 hours ago, bleachkit said:

I think it's clear Schlenk values skill over athleticism. He wants guys that can all shoot, pass, etc. For this to work we need a guy that can be our all purpose defender, rebounder, agitator, a Draymond Green type. I think that's asking a lot of Omari Spellman to expect him to fill that role. Also, it's hard for analytics to account for how a guy fits into the framework of a team.

It is easier to find a tough guy and over pay him than it is a big time scorer. Scorers have a lot more value these days and therefore a lot more options when they hit free agency. Just look at what

Just now, Buzzard said:

It is easier to find a tough guy and over pay him than it is a big time scorer. Scorers have a lot more value these days and therefore a lot more options when they hit free agency. Just look at what

GSW has done and the Spurs since Duncan retired.