• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Live Presser: Schlenk and Lloyd

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

Turner needing the ball in his hands is not one of my favorite things about him. I hope it doesn’t stunt our youngsters’ development when he is on the floor.  (Because he needs it to be effective and because when one of them tries to be a playmaker opposing defenses won’t bother to spend much effort to guard Turner on the perimeter).

• Like 3

On 9/27/2019 at 7:00 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

What is best with Turner is not likely to be the best for the Hawks. That is an "Oh Shit" read there. Yeah I am pretty negatively biased on this because the drop off from Trae to Turner and from JC to Turner is so large it is not even measurable. Other slotted backup pg cats we have can handle the ball and two of them can actually shoot from distanced and one is an established  and serious defensive presence. You know, real roles for them this year for us. Believe too much is expected for Turner's offensive positive impact.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

What is best with Turner is not likely to be the best for the Hawks. That is an "Oh Shit" read there. Yeah I am pretty negatively biased on this because the drop off from Trae to Turner and from JC to Turner is not even measurable. Other slotted backup pg cats we have can handle the ball and two of them can actually shoot from distance. The third is a serious defensive presence. You know, real roles for them this year for us. Believe too much is expected for Turner's offensive positive impact.    

Turner isn't  a bad playmaker though and i see it the other way around especially for a guy like Reddish! On down the line Reddish in particular will have the ball in his hands plenty more than likely but this gives him a good opportunity to learn to play off ball as if he ever starts like most hawk fans expect him to he won't have the ball in his hands nearly as much as Trae and rightfully so.

Trae is too talented of a passer to force too much off ball play on him Im now realizing so its important all these young pieces learn how to play off ball with him in my opinion. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AHF said:

Turner needing the ball in his hands is not one of my favorite things about him. I hope it doesn’t stunt our youngsters’ development when he is on the floor.  (Because he needs it to be effective and because when one of them tries to be a playmaker opposing defenses won’t bother to spend much effort to guard Turner on the perimeter).

I understand your fears. Most of the time once a player has passed their prime or just a player in general kind of shows us who they are and are who they are for their entire careers after 5 or 6 yrs in the league. One thing I've noticed that still can be learned even late in their careers is 3pt shooting. Some of us saw Jason Kidd go from a non shooter to a consistent 3pt shooter in his latter yrs as well as our very own Vince Carter and many others. Not saying that Evan Turner will become a guy like that but he may realize himself if he plans on staying on the court with this team he will add that to his game. We've heard it earlier but Cam, Kevin, Bembry and Jabari are all good play makers and we are a deep enough team to sit those who aren't contributing and who aren't consistent and versatile. 

Edited by sillent

3 hours ago, JTB said:

Turner isn't  a bad playmaker though and i see it the other way around especially for a guy like Reddish! On down the line Reddish in particular will have the ball in his hands plenty more than likely but this gives him a good opportunity to learn to play off ball as if he ever starts like most hawk fans expect him to he won't have the ball in his hands nearly as much as Trae and rightfully so.

Trae is too talented of a passer to force too much off ball play on him Im now realizing so its important all these young pieces learn how to play off ball with him in my opinion. 

I agree. Being a fan of big point guards I'm still excited to see Cam, Bembry and Hunter running it at times and I think/hope Turner will as well but Trae is so dynamic I don't want the ball to be forced out of his hands too often.