• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kevin is back!

NBASupes

19 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Good job KH.

I just need him to be more agressive going to the rim though. More FT attempts needed.

yeah cuz he's pitiful getting to the line.

Kevin: 112 NBA games, 105 FT attempts

Cam: 44 NBA Games, 88 FT attempts

Thats unacceptable

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

However, Huerter’s season got off to a bit of a shaky start. He found himself, for the most part, coming off of the bench in the opening 10 games and on a minutes restriction as he rehabbed from a knee injury that caused him to miss training camp and preseason.

Just as his season began to really get going, though, Huerter sustained a left rotator cuff strain in what was Atlanta’s best win of the season (at the time) on the road against the Denver Nuggets. From there, Huerter was ruled out for at least two weeks.

Huerter returned to action on Dec. 4 — nearly a month later — but just as he started the season, Huerter was placed on another minutes restriction. Unlike the start of the season, it didn’t take as long for Huerter to be reinstated to the starting lineup.

The rest of December, however, was a struggle for Huerter as he worked his way back from that injury, shooting 37% from the field and 32% from three. 

People were also quick to put the label ‘injury prone’ on Huerter but ultimately, he ended up playing 56 of the Hawks’ 67 games (or, 83.5%), only four less than Young and two less than Reddish. In fact, from January 1st, no other Hawk played more games than Huerter.

Huerter’s efficiency was largely unchanged (with the exception of Huerter’s free throws) but what did change was Huerter’s volume: attempting more shots in general and more three-pointers and in more minutes per game — so to keep up the same efficiency (which was already good in the first place from distance) on more attempts is an encouraging sign.

One problem was that Huerter’s defense wasn’t exactly fantastic at times. I believe that Huerter’s defense is generally underrated, but even I was a little underwhelmed by his defense — he should be better than he sometimes is.

Another issue was one that extended from last year and will, once again, be an issue next season: free throw generation.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2020 at 12:12 PM, Peoriabird said:

They are being nice with their evaluation of Kevin last year.

Maybe they are helping out with his possible trade value you know. lol

Huerter is the only volume three point shooter the Hawks have who is shooting over .375 from three. As far as I am concerned he needs to get more love. You can be sure of this: someone will be looking at him in two seasons really hard.

We need to enjoy his game at a average of 2.7M a year while we still can and take full advantage of it. Maybe he is not a starter over Reddish but that is a damn cheap 6th man.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, Buzzard said:

Huerter is the only volume three point shooter the Hawks have who is shooting over .375 from three. As far as I am concerned he needs to get more love. You can be sure of this: someone will be looking at him in two seasons really hard.

We need to enjoy his game at a average of 2.7M a year while we still can and take full advantage of it. Maybe he is not a starter over Reddish but that is a damn cheap 6th man.

I agree and believe Huerter has a bright future with a better coach.  He has a lot of skill and I wish we had someone who could develop them even further.

• Premium Member

To maximize his offensive value, Huerter must diversify his scoring repertoire. Last season, he took only 18 percent of his shots at the rim and just over one free throw per game, and he struggled to finish through length and bulk in the paint. A player of his size, smarts, and athleticism should make the rim and foul line focal points of his game. Instead, Huerter often shied away from contact, either fading away from defenders or stopping drives short.

Despite above-average 3-point and mid-range shooting, he finished the year below the league average in scoring efficiency because he rarely generaged easy points inside the arc. Atlanta’s coaches have stayed on Huerter about being more aggressive, and he occasionally showed flashes of burst and craft once he put his injuries behind him.

Defensively, Huerter may not quite be the kind of stopper the Hawks need to mask Young’s deficiencies. He plays hard, executes the team’s coverages, and moves his feet reasonably well, but doesn’t have the heft to challenge elite wings or the quickness to contain waterbug guards. On most teams, those minor limitations would still allow him to fit into a larger defensive structure. But Young’s limitations reduce the margin of error for his teammates and require them to bear more defensive responsibility than normal.

It’s possible that Huerter’s optimal role on the fully-formed Hawks is as a sixth man -- a move that could come as early as next season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

These guys love to blame Young for everyone else's problems

Defensively, Huerter may not quite be the kind of stopper the Hawks need to mask Young’s deficiencies. He plays hard, executes the team’s coverages, and moves his feet reasonably well, but doesn’t have the heft to challenge elite wings or the quickness to contain waterbug guards. On most teams, those minor limitations would still allow him to fit into a larger defensive structure. But Young’s limitations reduce the margin of error for his teammates and require them to bear more defensive responsibility than normal.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I don’t read that as blaming Young for Huerter’a defensive struggles.  I read that as questioning the fit with Young.  I think it is a fair question and the conclusion is the right one - Cam is your starter next season and Huerter the 6th man.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Not blame, just pointing out that Kevin's defense isn't good enough to play next to Trae.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Not blame, just pointing out that Kevin's defense isn't good enough to play next to Trae.

I'm not sure Pierce agrees with this.

In 2020 despite Huerter's numerous injuries, he was 3 on the team in total minutes being only Trae and Hunter.

In 2019 he was 2nd only to Trae

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm not sure Pierce agrees with this.

In 2020 despite Huerter's numerous injuries, he was 3 on the team in total minutes being only Trae and Hunter.

In 2019 he was 2nd only to Trae

I don’t think you and LP are exactly kind melded.  I’ll trust my gut on that over the guy who thinks LP has to be reminded that basketballs are round.  🙂 

Seriously, Huerter was the presumptive starter coming into the year.  Cam was terrible for 2019 and then came into his own.  I don’t think LP wanted to mess with that pattern (by “demoting” Huerter and moving Cam from a role in which he was flourishing) but next year my bet is that it will be a different story.  He clearly got comfortable playing Cam against the best opponents had to offer.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Pierce has me missing Bud!  LOL!

Bud is a great coach.  I was sad to see his terrible GMing leading to a roster that had to be stripped and him bailing on that next step.  I think he could still be here if Ferry would not have been fired.

• Premium Member

I posted this previously regarding the Draft and FA. Here's a snippet from Schlenk on Huerter.

Interestingly, Schlenk divulged that Huerter didn’t stay on top of his body maintenance last summer, and that was a reason why he dealt with nagging knee pain through training camp and the preseason. Schlenk said he asks the team to stay in Atlanta until Summer League and then go with the team to Las Vegas for a few days for practice. They then have July and most of August to go home or on vacation. When Huerter returned at the end of August, Schlenk said, “He was in worse shape, and his knee was bothering him.”

Huerter then completely changed his diet, did much better with his rehabilitation and became more diligent in being in the weight room. Schlenk said he came away this season impressed with Huerter’s level of professionalism and his commitment to getting better, but Schlenk still said there seems to be an aggression issue that hopefully can be worked on because of how well Huerter can shoot. There shouldn’t be a reason for someone his size and his athleticism to have only 18 percent of his shots come at the rim and only have a 57 percent field goal percentage when he is driving to the basket.