• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

CBA and Salary Cap related items...New 6 year deal reached 2023!

JayBirdHawk

• Moderators

You can take that to mean that the owners are asking for concessions and the Union is happy with the status quo or something closer to it then the owners’ targeted landing spot.

• Premium Member

No Lock-Out. Deal Done!

The tentative deal, which starts with the 2023-24 season, was announced by the league and union and is expected to be ratified by league governors and players in the coming weeks. The deal includes a mutual opt-out after the sixth year, sources told ESPN.

Among the key initial elements of the deal described to ESPN:

• The NBA is curbing the ability of the highest-spending teams, such as the Golden State Warriors and the LA Clippers, to continue running up salary and luxury tax spending while still maintaining mechanisms to add talent to the roster. The NBA is implementing a second salary cap apron -- $17.5 million over the tax line -- and those teams will no longer have access to the taxpayer mid-level in free agency. Those changes will be eased into the salary cap over a period of years.

As a counter to those spending limitations, the new CBA is expected to create more spending and trade opportunities for teams at the middle and lower spectrum of spending. There will be an opening of more opportunities in the free agent market, including larger trade exceptions.

• In an attempt to curb load management and lost games among star players, the NBA is tying eligibility for postseason awards -- such as All-NBA teams and MVP -- to a mandatory 65 games played. The 65-game minimum does come with some conditions.

•  

• The in-season tournament could arrive as soon as the 2023-24 season. The event will include pool-play games baked into the regular-season schedule starting in November -- with eight teams advancing to a single-elimination tournament in December. The Final Four will be held at a neutral site, with Las Vegas prominent in the discussion, sources said.  Each in-season tournament game would count toward regular-season standings; the two finalists would ultimately play 83 regular-season games. Winning players and coaches will earn additional prize money.

This is the biggest thing I was looking for (see Dejounte Murray)

• The NBA and NBPA have agreed to increase the upper limits on extensions from a 120% increase on a current deal to 140%, which could have a significant impact on the futures of stars like Celtics forward Jaylen Brown.

•  

• There is an increase in two-way contract slots, jumping from two to three per team. Two-way contracts were created in the 2017 collective bargaining agreement as a vehicle for teams to develop younger players. It has been seen as a success, as it's become a route to players earning long-term homes in the league, and in several cases becoming major contributors.

• Thanks 2

• JayBirdHawk changed the title to CBA and Salary Cap related items...New 6 year deal reached 2023!

Kinda feel like the apparent ease with which this was done doesn't bode well for fans.  The changes the sport needs aren't easily digested by either side.

Folks always say 'it's the players' league'.  Bowl sh*t.  It's the fans' league and we the only ones without a seat at the proverbial table.  We gonna continue getting screwed. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Other CBA highlights:

All-NBA selections will now be positionless

Non-max rookie extensions go from 4 years to 5 years

Luxury Tax brackets will increase at the same rate as the salary cap (used to be $5 mil increments)

Players can now invest in NBA and WNBA teams, Cannabis and Sports Betting companies.

Salary cap smoothing of 10% when the new TV deal kicks in, so no cap spike (32%) like in 2016.

High-spending teams above a second-apron of luxury tax aren’t allowed to send cash in deals, trade first-round picks seven years away or sign players in the buyout market. They also can't take in more money than they send out. (These would have impacted the Durant and Harden trades).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Players can now invest in NBA and WNBA teams

Current players can invest in NBA teams?  Surely only their own and not the opposition, correct?  Otherwise the potential for salary cap circumvention (not circumcision, Spud!) and owning a piece of your team... and then being traded to a rival, etc., all become thorny issues.  
Interested to see how this plays out.  

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

Current players can invest in NBA teams?  Surely only their own and not the opposition, correct?  Otherwise the potential for salary cap circumvention (not circumcision, Spud!) and owning a piece of your team... and then being traded to a rival, etc., all become thorny issues.  

I'm waiting to see what the full details/parameters/restrictions are. There will/may probably be limits set on investments, disclosure agreements will need to be transparent to deal with cap circumvention. I guess once traded a player will be required to sell their shares

• Premium Member

so how many? 3? Unlimited?

Edit: thinking about this more, small marker teams will sign these max deals, then not be able to adequately fill in the back end of the rosters, particularly from the exemption that will be removed for a tax team.

• Premium Member

I thought it was an April Fool's joke lol

Overall, I like a lot of what I'm reading...

• I was lukewarm on the in-season tournament thing, but I dig it now
  • I think the 2nd salary cap idea and cap smoothing are great ideas
  • I REALLY like the minimum number of games required to be eligible for awards
  • I'm happy that they didn't lower the age limit
  • I like the mandatory physicals for combine attendees
  • I like the removal of supermax limits
  • More two-way slots is a good thing
  • More revenue going into the BRI seems like a win for the players

Seems like they got a great deal done.  The only thing I'm maybe a little concerned about is the All-NBA selections being position-less.  I need to think on it and hear some opinions, but at first glance...it feels like some guys are going to get screwed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

Update:

• Premium Member

:good:

65-Game Threshold For Awards Will Have Minimum Minutes Requirement

The NBA has a few stipulations in its new 65-game requirement for postseason awards, according to reporting from ESPN's Baxter Holmes.

Players must play 20 minutes per game for it to count as a game except in two of the 65 games a player can play between 15 and 20 minutes and it will still count.

Two of the three primary candidates for MVP this season have yet to play in 65 games with Giannis Antetokounmpo at 62 and Joel Embiid at 64. Nikola Jokic has played in 67 games.

• Thanks 1