• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Defensive Possession Types (NBA.com play stats)

mrhonline

• Premium Member

In case you haven't seen, the NBA has started posting both offensive and defensive possession types per player. They list average number of possessions, eFG% in that play type, percentile rank, etc.

---

I filtered for the Hawks' returning players and looked at the most common defensive play types among those players. This fuzzy (easier to read if you click on it) chart results:chart2.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

So the Y axis is the efg% that the player gave up on those plays, correct?  (I.e., Dedmon was a god defending post-ups and brutal in isolations?)

Opposite. https://stats.nba.com/articles/defensive-stats-spotlight-play-type-breakdown/

https://stats.nba.com/players/isolation/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=-1&SeasonType=Regular Season&TypeGrouping=defensive&CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Hunter's PnR roll man defensive stats are insane. Once he gets it, he will be an true army swiss knife. 

https://stats.nba.com/players/roll-man/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=-1&SeasonType=Regular Season&TypeGrouping=defensive

He straight harassing people in one on one perimeter D (on 2K) but playing over the years, 2K is intuitive, they are always ahead of the actual learning curve of the player but the player always catches up to their projected level of skill. It’s crazy.

Hunter is going to be on some all nba defensive teams I think.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mrhonline said:

Sort of.  It's percentile rank for that play type.  You definitely want a higher y-axis score.

So Dedmon was the worst post-up defender in the league?

While Collins is currently manning the 4 spot, I think in two years, maybe we need to trade Collins and move Hunter to the 4, get a 3 or if that's Okoro start him and start Cam at the 2. That would be a lethal defense with Capela at the 5. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, mrhonline said:

Sort of.  It's percentile rank for that play type.  You definitely want a higher y-axis score.

The other thing notable on this is that under these metrics Young looks not so bad as a defender.  He is below average but not too far below average in any particular category or overall.  

Above average:  Spot Ups; Post Ups

Near average:  P&R Handler (with high frequency); Off Screen; Hand Offs

Below average:  P&R Roll Man; Isolations (but still better in these categories than other Hawks)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

The other thing notable on this is that under these metrics Young looks not so bad as a defender.  He is below average but not too far below average in any particular category or overall.  

Above average:  Spot Ups; Post Ups

Near average:  P&R Handler (with high frequency); Off Screen; Hand Offs

Below average:  P&R Roll Man; Isolations (but still better in these categories than other Hawks)

Young has very good lateral quickness. His team defense is Jamal Crawford but without length status and it's a killer. Same for Parker who isn't bad in the direct action but horrible outside of it. This is probably the biggest reason I am against Edwards as our pick. Trae and Ant can't play together on defense. They would kill us. 

Edited by NBASupes

46 minutes ago, AHF said:

So Dedmon was the worst post-up defender in the league?

Limited sample size issues but 1.50 PPP. WTF!!!!! People really gotta stop talking about Cam as a non-guard. His big man stats are horrendous. I really don't see the potential either. He's really a more talented and much bigger unpolished Corey Brewer with Tony Allen aggressiveness on defense. Once he gains understanding, he will be an elite perimeter defender but he's not going to be the next Leonard, Pippen, or Iggy. He's a perimeter beast through and through. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Trae always cracks me up when he gets posted up.  He stiffens up and really takes on the challenge.

But I think what you're seeing in the "spot up" defensive stats is the vacuum created by teams attacking Trae.  (And probably in the post up stats for the bigs, frankly. Poor Dedmon was left on an island on a number of occasions).

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Hunter's PnR roll man defensive stats are insane. Once he gets it, he will be an true army swiss knife. 

https://stats.nba.com/players/roll-man/?sort=TEAM_ABBREVIATION&dir=-1&SeasonType=Regular Season&TypeGrouping=defensive

Yep. That's the stat that really drew my attention. 

Hunter looks every bit the 3&D forward.  I'd personally just camp him the corner and let Trae find him.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mrhonline said:

Yep. That's the stat that really drew my attention. 

Hunter looks every bit the 3&D forward.  I'd personally just camp him the corner and let Trae find him.

3&D forwards can defend the perimeter and that's a WIP for Hunter at this time. 

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hunter's numbers off screen and vs post ups and spot ups are surprisingly bad.  Expected his iso number to look great which is nice to see.  Surprised to see how good Collins' iso number is.

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

While Collins is currently manning the 4 spot, I think in two years, maybe we need to trade Collins and move Hunter to the 4, get a 3 or if that's Okoro start him and start Cam at the 2. That would be a lethal defense with Capela at the 5. 

Not condoning moving Collins but Hunter can handle the 4 spot. He’s a legit 3/4 4/3 you can even shove him into the 2 position if needed. Like:

Trae

Hunter

Cam

Collins 

Capela

or just switch Hunter and Cam like we do.

2 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

Not condoning moving Collins but Hunter can handle the 4 spot. He’s a legit 3/4 4/3 you can even shove him into the 2 position if needed. Like:

Trae

Hunter

Cam

Collins 

Capela

or just switch Hunter and Cam like we do.

In time he will be able to play all three positions. 

• Like 2