• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best head coach who spent time in ATL?

sturt

• Premium Member
On 1/1/2021 at 6:12 AM, sillent said:

I'm going to assume this is a secret credit to Lloyd Pierce coaching and how he's got the "juice" now and y'all are reminiscing on who would be next. For all the hate y'all have given a 3rd man head coach with busted rosters I'm sure he appreciates this love. Seriously though I bet he's in the conversation before it's all said and done. I guess we don't know what we got because we ain't ever had nothing like him but I bet his 29 opponents know better.

Lloyd Pierce = WoodynoGoody.

What I mean is both guys took tanking teams that would build through the draft.  Both guys were defensive minded. 

The real problem for Lloyd is that they have hired his replacement.  Nate represents a real threat to LP because Nate has been a HC and his teams have been a mainstay in the playoffs.   The problem that Woody and LP has is that because they took tanking teams building through the draft, their record looks horrible.   Probably why no one has hired Woody for  a HC again.  BUT.. I think Both guys can coach... Woody needs more offensive strategy. 

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, NineOhTheRino said:

Lenny was the best.  Fratello was my favorite

Looking back I have to say Mike Woodson should be given more credit.  We overrated the roster while undervaluing the work Woody did to put that team in position to compete.   

The 2009-2010 roster was his best team in terms of wins

10 Mike Bibby PG 6-1 190 May 13, 1978 us 11 Arizona
34 Jason Collins C 7-0 255 December 2, 1978 us 8 Stanford
11 Jamal Crawford SG 6-5 185 March 20, 1980 us 9 Michigan
1 Maurice Evans SF 6-5 220 November 8, 1978 us 6 Wichita State, Texas
15 Al Horford C 6-9 240 June 3, 1986 do 2 Florida
50 Othello Hunter SF 6-8 225 May 28, 1986 us 1 Ohio State
2 Joe Johnson SG 6-7 240 June 29, 1981 us 8 Arkansas
33 Randolph Morris PF 6-10 266 January 2, 1986 us 3 Kentucky
27 Zaza Pachulia C 6-11 270 February 10, 1984 ge 6  
32 Joe Smith PF 6-10 225 July 26, 1975 us 14 Maryland
5 Josh Smith PF 6-9 225 December 5, 1985 us 5  
0 Jeff Teague PG 6-3 195 June 10, 1988 us R Wake Forest
6 Mario West SG 6-5 210 June 19, 1984 us 2 Georgia Tech
24 Marvin Williams SF 6-8 237 June 19, 1986 us 4 UNC

53 wins with that roster was damn good.

This team was great.  The only problem with it is underachieving Marvin Williams (The worst draft mistake in Hawks History).   I hate that we got old man Joe Smith.  He was a shell of his former self.  Honestly though... Woody's teams suffered because they were always trying to justify the pick of Marvin Williams.  He never deserved PT over anybody who he started in front of... It's only because we passed up CP3 that we had to make something out of MW24.

The greatness on this team is Crawford and Zaza.   They were great depth for us.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Lloyd Pierce = WoodynoGoody.

What I mean is both guys took tanking teams that would build through the draft.  Both guys were defensive minded. 

The real problem for Lloyd is that they have hired his replacement.  Nate represents a real threat to LP because Nate has been a HC and his teams have been a mainstay in the playoffs.   The problem that Woody and LP has is that because they took tanking teams building through the draft, their record looks horrible.   Probably why no one has hired Woody for  a HC again.  BUT.. I think Both guys can coach... Woody needs more offensive strategy. 

I think the reason Woodson didn't get another job is because his teams were very predictable on both ends of the floor come the playoffs.  His iso ball and switching D were nice for the regular season but both got abused in the playoffs and he had no wrinkles to make them effective.  It showed he was better in a supporting role on a better coach's staff.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

Hubie Brown then Fratello

Very true and it was both a blend of the big rotation concept forced on the team and then later on how to manage the damn egos. Both truly great coaches who did very well. So many quality regular season and playoff memories. Thanks for that. 

• Like 1