• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae the VILLAIN?

thecampster

• Moderators
5 hours ago, kg01 said:

So I've had something on my mind since game 1.  It took basically 3/4 of a game to (de)escalate from cursing at Trae to literally spitting on him.

I hope folks think about that when they say the F U chant was "no big deal".  Like it or not, condoning and promoting that type of nonsense serves to dehumanize the target.

Normal, well-adjusted people may not be affected by that.  But we don't live in a world where everybody is both normal and well-adjusted.  We live in a world of imperfect people who operate across the spectrum of "humanity".  We also live in a world where kids watch how adults(sic) act as way to inform them on how to treat other people.

All actions have consequences, intended and unintended.  "Ah, it's not big deal."  Well how do you know it's not a big deal?  You don't know how some kid or some dumbarse is gonna take seeing a young man treated that way.

Some people hear those chants and see it as tacit "approval" of whatever off-kilter thoughts they have.  Some people get emboldened by a crowd shouting vulgarities and think they're all "with" him.  Hence we have some jackleg spitting on a player.  Don't believe there aren't people in that crowd perfectly willing to go even further.  Why?  Well, because "f*ck Trae Young", right?

It's not that serious but, at the same time, it kinda is .... isn't it?  Or, put another way, maybe we should be better before the next thing going viral is all the "thoughts and prayers" messages after something crazy happens.

Wow.  Serious, thoughtful and well written.  Kudos @kg01

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1