• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pair Wingstop as starters and a Euro 💶 bench

Spud2nique

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

I think Nate wants to have one of Cam or Hunter off the bench for a good wing defender on the court at all times. I get that. Here's the problem. Our defense is in shambles. We have individual good defenders but the corner stone of our defense is Capela. He's killing us. I know he's hurt but if this is the best he can do then he needs to be shut down and let him rest.

I will not forget how awesome Capela was for stretches last year.  People were suggesting he was the actual best player on the team and some nights it felt that way.  It's brutal without Clint being healthy, but the other issue is our 2nd unit.  I'm thinking about guys we can bring in as a 2nd string PG.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member
48 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

Someone else said it, but Cam and Dre don't offer enough dribble drive shot creation.  Trae would be the only guy who can create offense for others.  It would be no assists from anyone else, only turnovers.  

Who cares???  I just want team to stop scoring a thousand points against us in the 1st quarter.

31 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Who cares???  I just want team to stop scoring a thousand points against us in the 1st quarter.

They are not nearly as good on defense as you imagine them to be.   

Trae is high volume but an inefficient  scorer.  You add Dre and Hunter to that, plus Capela, and that is a sloppy offense.  Trae needs shooters he can kick out to.  Dre and Cam aren’t good enough on D to overcome the problems we would have on offense.

How do you suggest we went 27-11 last year without Dre and Cam?  Why don’t we win more with them if their D is so good?  

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 5:36 PM, JayBirdHawk said:

Here is what's going on with Cap:

......one of the biggest on-court issues has been the play of Clint Capela. Capela was one of the biggest reasons why the Hawks were so successful last season. He almost single-handedly transformed the Hawks’ defense. He has not looked the same this year after dealing with a lingering Achilles issue.

“I’m still treating it every day,” Capela told The Athletic. “I’m trying to manage it as best as I can. I’m trying to get back to where I was last year. I’m getting there. It’s going to take time. It’s still early in the season. It’s going to take more games. The effort is going to have to be better, even if I play less. The effort has to be better. I want to get back to where I want to be with longer minutes and the effort I want to play at.”

Capela has made just 59 percent of his shots at the rim, ranking him in the bottom 25 percent of all big men across the league, per Cleaning The Glass. The explosion that Capela has shown over the years has not been on display on offense, and he hasn’t been anywhere near the dominant defensive player he was last season. That’s part of the reason why the Hawks have been one of the worst defenses in the league so far.

McMillan is going to lose him for the year being stubborn! It’s time to sit capela! His injury is the only reason he’s not same right now and I knew that whole time. I rather sit him early than take risk and allowing him to play right now.

if capela gets injured for the season due to playing hurt this is going to be all on McMillan and it will be fire-sale on him around here.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 2:15 PM, AHF said:

Only if they don't mind the Trae and JC PnR moving the offense more away from them than it has been to date this year.  The reason I talk about starting Cam/Hunter is for better defense and offensive emphasis shifting back towards the PnR.  

All for this!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Final_quest said:

Someone else said it, but Cam and Dre don't offer enough dribble drive shot creation.  Trae would be the only guy who can create offense for others.  It would be no assists from anyone else, only turnovers.  

As @AHF already stated if you put wing stop as the starters then we’d have to move back to running a high amount of PnR with Trae and Collins to generate some offense and honestly teams have not proven they can stop that combination…:hawks just kinda drift away from it and stop doing it throughout the games.

1 hour ago, Final_quest said:

They are not nearly as good on defense as you imagine them to be.   

Trae is high volume but an inefficient  scorer.  You add Dre and Hunter to that, plus Capela, and that is a sloppy offense.  Trae needs shooters he can kick out to.  Dre and Cam aren’t good enough on D to overcome the problems we would have on offense.

How do you suggest we went 27-11 last year without Dre and Cam?  Why don’t we win more with them if their D is so good?  

Not gon lie you make a hell of a good point.

I think it’s a tough pill to swallow because Hunter and Cam were drafted to be our starters and while they’ve showcased and had some good outings I believe in year 3 and based on how the team performed last year we all are expecting a lot more during this regular season.

but your argument is legit no matter who tries to challenge you. Facts are facts. The playoff run wings were mainly Huerter and bogi as starters.

With that said I still would rather see wingstop get the opportunity to start. I would have to hope that they can learn to bring the offense consistently and learn how to play off of Trae. 

I actually think Dre could still be our starter and expected him to play better.  Schlenk has said that he views the draft as an opportunity and knows you are not gonna hit on every pick.  So I don't view it as anyone is drafted to be the starter.  Cam and Dre both get an opportunity to earn that role. 

When we signed all those contracts over the past two years we shifted from a team developing starters on the job to a win now team.  So when you say "hope that they can learn" I don't think that is the philosophy of a win now contender.  You have to deal with facts over hope if you are in that state. 

Think in terms of dribble, pass, shoot.  With Cam and Dre, Trae carries too much of the load with dribble and pass.  Then you get to shooting and all three are combining for 42-43% from the field and maybe 34% from three.  If we are a team in development, it's fine, but again that's not where we're at.

The defense of Huerter and Bogi statistically is not bad.  Last year there were articles coming out talking about Huerter becoming an elite defender.  Bogi lead the entire playoffs in steals at one point.  I'm not saying that either is better than Cam or Dre, though they have dimensions to their defense that are better. 

It's not clear to me what combo is the right one for us at the moment, but I definitely think it's not Cam and Dre.  

14 hours ago, JTB said:

McMillan is going to lose him for the year being stubborn! It’s time to sit capela! His injury is the only reason he’s not same right now and I knew that whole time. I rather sit him early than take risk and allowing him to play right now.

if capela gets injured for the season due to playing hurt this is going to be all on McMillan and it will be fire-sale on him around here.

Pretty sure if Chelsea was still here he'd be out for at least a month...lol

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Your thread title didn't mention Hunter or Reddish. I didn't even know it existed till now. 

All good lol just hoping for some kind of change for the positive. Watching this Hawks team play lately, it’s not fun.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 5:44 PM, terrell said:

At what point do we go back to our winning line up from last season?  I can see why you want our big two way players Cam and Dre there, but it wasn't working at the start of last season either.  Dre was playing well, but we were losing....

Surrounding Trae with the our best shooters(Bogi, Kev, Collins, Gallo) just works better imo)...

Trae/Bogi/Kev/Collins/Capela

Delon/Wingstop/Gallo/Dieng

Is what I'm rolling with...

This right here........

• Like 1

10 hours ago, terrell said:

This right here........

Good call you were right. I started to realize it after the 4th or 5th straight loss during the 6 game losing streak.

By all means we still need hunter and cam but until proven otherwise both are ONLY situational starters in my eyes and even then the lineup shouldn’t be changed unless absolutely necessary.