This team is done this year.

swanlee

• swanlee changed the title to This team is done this year.
  • Premium Member
3 hours ago, swanlee said:

I've seen enough to know the ups and downs we see are what this team IS and we will not turn it around this year. I'm actually thinking we miss the playoffs all together.  Injuries and covid put us in a hole we can't dig out of and now the team simply is not mature enough to get its crap together.

This is not a contending team but a team going through growing pains. I don't think it's an actual roster issue it's just a maturity issue.

This team needs to get its shit together focus on defense and stop taking things for granted. Maybe missing the playoffs might wake them up.

I have zero positive expectations for the rest of the season.

If we get to the playoffs... we will be better. 

Honestly, we are a playoff team of sorts.   I think when we can focus on one team, we do better.   We make adjustments game by game.   That's why you see us beat teams the second time around now....  Slow adjustments.

You are right..we are young.  very young.  But if we're healthy, we are a handful. 

• Like 2

I agree. I wish people would quit bringing up the Braves. This team reminds me of year 2 Trae Young Hawks. Came off a hot rookie year where we massively overachieved considering our WOAT level talent level. We got a lot better and it seemed like we got a lot worse because we spammed the 1/4 PnR, it got downloaded and now we gotta run an offense and we sucked at it. 

We are much better than year 2 Hawks but we aren't good enough for what we honestly should be.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

If we get to the playoffs... we will be better. 

Honestly, we are a playoff team of sorts.   I think when we can focus on one team, we do better.   We make adjustments game by game.   That's why you see us beat teams the second time around now....  Slow adjustments.

You are right..we are young.  very young.  But if we're healthy, we are a handful. 

That's mainly because we are exclusively a half court team and the playoffs is a half court based game compared to the open court style of the NBA regular season. That said, even as a playoff team, we have limitations. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, swanlee said:

I've seen enough to know the ups and downs we see are what this team IS and we will not turn it around this year. I'm actually thinking we miss the playoffs all together.  Injuries and covid put us in a hole we can't dig out of and now the team simply is not mature enough to get its crap together.

This is not a contending team but a team going through growing pains. I don't think it's an actual roster issue it's just a maturity issue.

This team needs to get its shit together focus on defense and stop taking things for granted. Maybe missing the playoffs might wake them up.

I have zero positive expectations for the rest of the season.

Way too many emotional reactions from game to game.  Just let this thing play out.   We blew the Detroit game, but it is very hard to win on the road vs good teams in the NBA.  Hawks have an extended homestand coming up.  That will be their chance to make it up.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

That's mainly because we are exclusively a half court team and the playoffs is a half court based game compared to the open court style of the NBA regular season. That said, even as a playoff team, we have limitations. 

I don't disagree.  I just don't see many terrible matchups for us... I used to say Milwaukee.  but after tonight.. I don't know.

Seems to me that the entire Hawks, from team to coaches believed that, because of our success in the playoffs last season, got the big head.  We believed.  We believed too much and we didn't adjust to the fact that all the other NBA teams would be ready for us.  They were.  We couldn't sneak up on any team.

When our shots fall, Hawks are a great team.  When they don't, we are a stinker.  Too many games, our shots refuse to go.  We don't fast break.  We don't play shut down defense.  NBA teams can easily prepare to face the Atlanta Hawks because they all now know us.

😪

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Seems to me that the entire Hawks, from team to coaches believed that, because of our success in the playoffs last season, got the big head.  We believed.  We believed too much and we didn't adjust to the fact that all the other NBA teams would be ready for us.  They were.  We couldn't sneak up on any team.

When our shots fall, Hawks are a great team.  When they don't, we are a stinker.  Too many games, our shots refuse to go.  We don't fast break.  We don't play shut down defense.  NBA teams can easily prepare to face the Atlanta Hawks because they all now know us.

😪

I don't believe all of our guys got a big head. Maybe Trae did but Bogi, Kev, Dre, Clint, and JC all seem the same. They just got exposed. Honestly, they got exposed in the playoffs for spamming that 1/5 PnR but in the playoffs, you can focus on one team, you can't in the RS.

5 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I don't believe all of our guys got a big head. Maybe Trae did but Bogi, Kev, Dre, Clint, and JC all seem the same. They just got exposed. Honestly, they got exposed in the playoffs for spamming that 1/5 PnR but in the playoffs, you can focus on one team, you can't in the RS.

You don't advance multiple rounds if that's the case.

As you said, teams can focus 100% on you in a series so "spamming" one action doesn't work.  You literally defeated your own argument.

Did you not eat your Wheaties this morning, supes?  You're better than this.

I'm granting you a do-over.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

As you said, teams can focus 100% on you in a series so "spamming" one action doesn't work.  You literally defeated your own argument.

The Hawks have the 2nd best offense in the NBA after getting exposed for spamming the 1/5 PnR this year. You still have issues stopping it even if you know it's coming, the difference is wins and losses. 

You don't understand what I am saying but you got some {EDIT: stephen a smith. Cut it out, yous guys! ~lw3} to say in response. Listen or ask the right questions before being a snark. 

They won due to the opponents. The Knicks weren't built for the playoffs and Philly relies on Simmons who's the anti Trae. His floor is extremely high but his ceiling drops when the game changes from open court in the RS to a half court style in the playoffs. 

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, kg01 said:

There has to be the understanding that you don't get through 2.5 series by being predictable. 

We are already a Halfcourt oriented team.. We have a superstar who shows up when the lights are the brightest (anti-Harden)...  Our Adjustments are game by game.  If we make it to the top 8 (after the play in), we will win our first series.  From there, who knows where we will go. 

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The Hawks have the 2nd best offense in the NBA after getting exposed for spamming the 1/5 PnR this year. You still have issues stopping it even if you know it's coming, the difference is wins and losses. 

You don't understand what I am saying but you got some {EDIT: Steven A. Seagal. Although I dunno his middle initial. Chamomile, people! ~lw3} to say in response. Listen or ask the right questions before being a snark. 

They won due to the opponents. The Knicks weren't built for the playoffs and Philly relies on Simmons who's the anti Trae. His floor is extremely high but his ceiling drops when the game changes from open court in the RS to a half court style in the playoffs. 

Predictable doesn't win multiple rounds in the playoffs.  We're not the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

That's a team that could win despite multiple opponents "knowing what's coming".

And don't be the revisionist guy blaming the opponents for us winning.  That's unfair.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

What's so frustrating is that I'm pretty sure that the Hawks themselves just like the entire league knows their defense is horrendous.....but yet there's no sense of urgency on that side of the ball🤯...what is the disconnect????

• Like 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, QuantumHawkz said:

What's so frustrating is that I'm pretty sure that the Hawks themselves just like the entire league knows their defense is horrendous.....but yet there's no sense of urgency on that side of the ball🤯...what is the disconnect????

There are some things you can do and some things you can't do. 

Nate is defensive minded but his first priority on defense is staying in front of your man and getting the rebound.  It seems to me that he would rather play the odds and give up a 3 ball (higher priority) than to give up an open shot or a layup.   The general problem that Nate doesn't see is that guys in this age can hit the three ball with much more regularity. Last year when we played Philly, they had Seth, Maxie, Korkmaz, Green and Milton.  It was good that they didn't have Green for that run.  What we saw is that they went off with all of those guys as some point and time because even then we allowed them to have open looks.   We found that we have to keep a man on Seth and eventually Korkmaz.    Philly's issue is that Embiid (who is also a great shooter from outside) was killing us every way possible and their shooter went cold.   Only Curry was able to be counted on and Doc didn't run plays for Curry.   With Harden there, I don't think we can run that same kind of defense.   We have to pay attention to shooters.   So maybe instead of the poor 3-2 Zone or even the poor 2-3 zone... if we zone we should look at something like a triangle and 2 and keep somebody on Harden and Embiid at all times. 

Brooklyn ran something similar the other night.. maybe it was a diamond in 1.  However, Harden had a man on him chest to chest (Kyrie) at all times and when he would come into a certain zone, they would double the ball out of his hands.   It was a work of art. 

Last night, we played good defense.  I'm glad that we didn't let Kinnard go off.  The mitten gave effort.   Nate also got to get Trae to realize that when his teammates see him going all out, they will go all out.  It's the Tim Duncan effect.   Part of the Spurs culture is that they would see Tim doing the work and say.. well this dude is a Superstar and if he's going all out.. I'm going to go all out.   Trae is a superstar... when his teammates see him doing the work on defense.. they will do the best that they can too...

• Like 1