• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Prediction: Will Schlenk keep or deal the #16 pick

sturt

Prediction: Will Schlenk Keep or Deal the #16 pick?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Will Schlenk keep or deal the #16 pick?

2. 2. If "keep," what will be the rookie's generally accepted position?

• PG
    • Combo Guard
    • SG
    • Wing
    • SF
    • Combo Forward
    • PF
    • PF/C
    • C
    • N/A -- I selected "deal"
  3. 3. If "deal," deal for what?

• Deal with other asset for higher draft slot
    • Deal for lower draft slot or future pick
    • Part of a deal to obtain Ayton
    • Part of a deal to obtain LaVine
    • Part of a deal to obtain Gobert
    • Part of a deal to obtain someone else or elses (elaborate in comments please)
    • N/A - I selected "keep"

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/23/2022 at 11:00 PM

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, sturt said:

What I've been able to confirm--don't ask me where I read it now, but it is true, trust me--is that the current team can speak with other teams.

But.

Apparently the current team cannot discuss contract terms that the other teams would be willing to accommodate, let alone can they grant permission to other teams to speak with their guy even though they ultimately do have control.

I don't get why it's so wrong for a current team to be allowed to convey to their own RFA what other teams would be willing to do.

But then again... I'm still cloudy as to whether the current team and their RFA can discuss terms... and then... the current team can relay to other teams they're talking to, what terms appear to be okay with the RFA (???). As long as there is no agreement among anyone on the contract terms, that seems to be key.

I think because, ultimately the Player decides where he wants to play.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think because, ultimately the Player decides where he wants to play.

Yes and no.

Ultimately, his current team can always force the issue by making a max offer... in which case his only alternative is to sit out a season... and which gets him nowhere since he still ends up being an RFA next go-round. My point would be the current team always holds the highest card, though "yes," they hardly ever use it. (Think the Bulls did it with Butler, iirc.)

But... regardless of that... I see no harm in the current team relaying to the RFA what other teams have told them they're willing to accommodate... that's just information for the RFA to use if/as he wishes.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Deals fall thru all the time and the Hawks can be stuck with a player they drafted for the Suns/Bulls and their R/FA signs elsewhere.

I agree it isn't something you would do unless you liked the player anyway.  But, for example, maybe if the Hawks were looking to flip the #6 pick to the Suns / Bulls they could have talked to the two of them about which player the Suns / Bulls wanted knowing that Atlanta was undecided between Haliburton or OO with that pick and then factored that into their draft decision (to the extent they trust the other GM, depending on how serious the deal discussions are, etc.).  GMs do make decisions factoring in how marketable in a trade a player or contract is all the time so it wouldn't be that foreign of an exercise.  Definitely wouldn't be the first time a deal was struck before the pick was made.  That is actually pretty common when the Stepien rule is in play and a team drafts the player they intend to trade and then get around the Stepien rule by not trading a future pick but trading a player they just picked.  But I will definitely concede that unlike those Stepien deals (which typically happen very quickly after the draft pick is made) that there would be more delay and hence more risk if the Hawks took a player that they didn't want.  But if you are waffling between Trae and Luka and know that the Bulls are ready to trade S&T prime MJ for Smitty and Luka (because of course Krause doesn't want to pay him the max) then maybe it makes sense to go that direction.

I am hoping we trade the pick plus assets (like Bogi or Huerter) to move up for Ivey. Aquire a promising young player to continue the long term success, reduce payroll, and open a roster spot. 
Not likely to happen, but that’s what I’m hoping for. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

As of today- it's Keep.

I understand if it’s swapped via trade to make us better but all those welcomed introductions to the ATL got me chills. 🥶 Good kid and a grinder. We’ve had really great drafts since Travis arrived. A- overall for Travis drafting. 

• Like 2