• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Prediction: Will Schlenk keep or deal the #16 pick

sturt

Prediction: Will Schlenk Keep or Deal the #16 pick?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Will Schlenk keep or deal the #16 pick?

2. 2. If "keep," what will be the rookie's generally accepted position?

• PG
    • Combo Guard
    • SG
    • Wing
    • SF
    • Combo Forward
    • PF
    • PF/C
    • C
    • N/A -- I selected "deal"
  3. 3. If "deal," deal for what?

• Deal with other asset for higher draft slot
    • Deal for lower draft slot or future pick
    • Part of a deal to obtain Ayton
    • Part of a deal to obtain LaVine
    • Part of a deal to obtain Gobert
    • Part of a deal to obtain someone else or elses (elaborate in comments please)
    • N/A - I selected "keep"

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/23/2022 at 11:00 PM

• Premium Member

... and other related questions.

Thought last year he'd deal #20. Wrong.

Didn't know that there was all the Reddish backstory that probably made things more complicated.

Same logic, new year for dealing #16. Will I be wrong again?

Think the logic just intensifies--there's every reason now to be full-on assault on championship contention, and a FRP isn't likely to be a contributor for any head coach in this situation, let alone Nate.

Don't see Ayton or LaVine or Gobert as pragmatic options. Only the last of the those makes our defense better, and at that, at a position where our defense isn't nearly as bad as at other positions. And worse, Gobert is one who makes insane money.

So, I'm left to the conclusion the #16 will be traded for some other vet(s).

Of course, I'm infatuated with my OKC trade that renders defensive improvements at SG, SF, and PF, plus the promise of the Euroleague's reigning king coming over to play beside his Serbian brother and see if between them they can, with KVon and Dre, form a killer wing squad.

I voted deal the pick; part of deal to obtain Gobert.

Note: I voted that because I think that’ll happen but what I WANT.. part of deal to obtain AYTON.

Ayton is the dream. I’ll take Gobert though he’s a heck of a player and probably an all star center in the East.

• Like 2

• Moderators

I picked deal the pick but I don't think Schlenk is locked into dealing it for any particular player.  I just think he will look to flip it for a more established player.  Might be a star as listed or might be a role player or might be to clear cap space to allow another move to be made, etc.  Just think that our "rookie" development project next year should be JJ and Coop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, AHF said:

I picked deal the pick but I don't think Schlenk is locked into dealing it for any particular player.  I just think he will look to flip it for a more established player.  Might be a star as listed or might be a role player or might be to clear cap space to allow another move to be made, etc. 

OH NO YA DON’T!!! That’s a non answer! That was my answer! :sarcastic:IT’S A COP OUT! 
I mean ummm, ya that sounds about right.

.. @sturt he cheated 🤫 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

Voted Deal...and went with other for several reasons.

1. #16 can't be dealt in any deal for FAs Lavine and Ayton since the draft occurs before FAcy.

2. No interest in Goberated

3. It will be a trade no one expects.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'd be fine with it being involved in a big trade but I voted keep because that's what I think will happen. Mainly because Travis has been pretty good in the mid to late first round so I suspect ownership may wanna let him find another steal on a cheap contract to replace a big one we're about to move. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Voted Deal...and went with other for several reasons.

1. #16 can't be dealt in any deal for FAs Lavine and Ayton since the draft occurs before FAcy.

True but a player picked at 16 can be traded in a S&T deal for one of them.

• Thanks 2

• Premium Member

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Now.. if the Draft is on the 23rd.. and the moratorium is July 6....I don't know if you can do a whole lot of SNT deals with the picks involved.  Somebody explain. 

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Someone set me straight if I'm wrong on this, of course, but I think that's only true for the UFA, not the RFA.

Granted, the deal can't go through officially until 7/1 regardless, but ATL and PHX theoretically could work out a deal independent of Ayton, since the Max Qualifying Offer rule exists that if PHX offers that, he has no other alternative but to sign it (... or, sit out). And moreover, even if we set that aside, I believe it is within PHX's jurisdiction to grant ATL the opportunity to negotiate with Ayton since he is under their control.

???

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

True, but Bulls and/or Suns would have to REALLY want the guy the Hawks picked at #16, and there is no guarantee they will. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Someone set me straight if I'm wrong on this, of course, but I think that's only true for the UFA, not the RFA.

Granted, the deal can't go through officially until 7/1 regardless, but ATL and PHX theoretically could work out a deal independent of Ayton, since the Max Qualifying Offer rule exists that if PHX offers that, he has no other alternative but to sign it (... or, sit out). And moreover, even if we set that aside, I believe it is within PHX's jurisdiction to grant ATL the opportunity to negotiate with Ayton since he is under their control.

???

I think the same rules apply for UFAs and RFAs....since it falls under FREE AGENT. 

Hawks can trade #16 to Bulls or Suns independently for a another player under contract.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think the same rules apply for UFAs and RFAs....since it falls under FREE AGENT. 

The case study for this, come to think of it, is right under our collective nose... BogBog/SAC/MIL situation.

To my memory, the reason MIL got penalized was that they'd made a deal, and BogBog's people didn't even know anything about it. So, naturally, it seemed to me, MIL was at-fault for making a move that essentially was going to force BogBog's hand at the very start of free agency when he hadn't even had a chance to survey the field of what offers might come in.

My memory was/is only half right.

Here's the actual NBA explanation...

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nba/bucks/2020/12/21/bucks-lose-2022-second-round-pick-early-bogdanovic-discussions/3993148001/

Cliff's notes: It's apparently not in the CBA, but the league office at the request of teams asked for and received confirmation that there would be a higher standard beginning in 2019 with regard to "gun jumping." And MIL jumped the gun. Of course, how SAC wasn't also guilty of jumping said gun is an interesting question, but I suppose the league office would say that SAC's penalty was that they got nothing for their trouble since BogBog signed a new contract w/o them getting any compensation.

Summary of Cliff's notes: @JayBirdHawk is right.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

True, but Bulls and/or Suns would have to REALLY want the guy the Hawks picked at #16, and there is no guarantee they will. 

Could be a deal worked out in advance and then executed later if they can find a player everyone likes reasonably well.

• Premium Member
Just now, AHF said:

Could be a deal worked out in advance and then executed later if they can find a player everyone likes reasonably well.

What I've been able to confirm--don't ask me where I read it now, but it is true, trust me--is that the current team can speak with other teams.

But.

Apparently the current team cannot discuss contract terms that the other teams would be willing to accommodate, let alone can they grant permission to other teams to speak with their guy even though they ultimately do have control.

I don't get why it's so wrong for a current team to be allowed to convey to their own RFA what other teams would be willing to do.

But then again... I'm still cloudy as to whether the current team and their RFA can discuss terms... and then... the current team can relay to other teams they're talking to, what terms appear to be okay with the RFA (???). As long as there is no agreement among anyone on the contract terms, that seems to be key.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

Deals fall thru all the time and the Hawks can be stuck with a player they drafted for the Suns/Bulls and their R/FA signs elsewhere.