• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

File under just when you thought you'd seen everything in baseball...

sturt

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

The contrary, most likely now he will be moved to a team that contends on a regular basis and that should make a player of his caliber.. happier? Makes sense don’t it.

If the objective for your GM is to make Player X "happier," and not to prioritize his team's interests, then you have a bigger problem.

Don't fool yourself, Spud. Rizzo isn't the perfect GM, but he's about as competent as they come.

The decision is about what's best for the franchise, and again, you don't seem to get it, but the only compelling reason right now to deal Soto is if it is perceived to be something new ownership will prefer. But yeah, I'm on record from the outset, that's pretty likely actually.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Spud2nique said:

In a way, I feel like the middle man here trying to facilitate a trade 🤣 

Of course you do. You've actually had this trade done weeks ago already. In your mind.

Oh man, is this the source of stu's recent angst?

Don't worry @sturt, your Nats will find and develop another promising young ultra-star like Soto again ..... then you'll trade him away to start all over again, I guess, since that's the WAS way apparently.

Ok, I see it now.  It be ok, stu.

But seriously,  why do they keep doing that?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, sturt said:

record from the outset, that's pretty likely actually.

That’s not what written history info dated though, we have proof of that. You thought Soto would stay a Nat..

I don’t think you understand the money complications (which I’m not breaking down) if the Nats keep Soto, it’s going to hurt them to wait to trade him this summer, he’s gotta go now.

weeks

Months.

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

Don't worry @sturt, your Nats will find and develop another promising young ultra-star like Soto again ..... then you'll trade him away to start all over again, I guess, since that's the WAS way apparently.

It’s frustrating to load up and dump like OKC does on the regular in the NBA it seems.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, sturt said:

Of course you do. You've actually had this trade done weeks ago already. In your mind.

I didn’t have Josh Bell heading out with him though.

So you’re telling me the Pads will add:

Hader

Soto

Bell

Extend Musgrove..

Wow, these are your papas Pads.

#DoinitforTGwynn

Dylan Carlson is the one you want Stu, Cards ain’t budging though.

7 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

It’s frustrating to load up and dump like OKC does on the regular in the NBA it seems.

It's weird especially considering they actually did win it all not long ago.  Why so impatient with a dip? 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

You thought Soto would stay a Nat..

My friend, you seriously need to read better.

I thought Soto wanted to stay a Nat. That's accurate.

I thought the media were overplaying the turn-down on the contract offered. That's accurate.

It is not at all accurate to say "you thought Soto would stay a Nat."

I don't think I even commented here about it... but I do have the Twitter posts in response to my friends at Talk Nats that could verify, if I felt it important to dig that up for you. (I don't.)

On 7/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, sturt said:

Here's another similarity with JC.... JS has been clear his preference is to remain with the team where he won a ring. (Nice to know... he's not a ring brat... too... can't help but notice... Bradley Beal has no ring.)

Juan has faith in Rizzo putting together another long stretch of competitive teams in DC. Let me assure you.

Or don't.

This keeps coming back.

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

@kg01 obviously the Lerners were already in "preparing to sell" mode last season.

That has everything to do with Trea being dealt to the Dodgers. That will have everything to do with Soto being dealt, if he's dealt.

It didn't have as much to do with Max being dealt, or any of the other contracts because they were all expiring, and there was some decent return achieved... those were moves than most teams would consider making, no matter the off-the-field circumstance.

Remember, they resigned Stras... and that's bit them in the butt, unfortunately.

Remember, they did attempt to resign Bryce, but in the end their entirely reasonable offer fell short.

I especially hated letting Rendon go, me.... but that one's actually turned out to be a fortunate move, given Anthony's production in LAA.

So, circling back... the answer is what I said the answer is already... to the degree they "keep doing that," it's all about the sale of the team.

• Premium Member
20 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I don’t think you understand the money complications (which I’m not breaking down) if the Nats keep Soto, it’s going to hurt them to wait to trade him this summer, he’s gotta go now.

This, I gotta hear.... a Barves fan instructing a Nats fan about a Nats player's "money complications"... hehehehe

Spud, you overextend yourself, my friend. And that's an enhanced problem when a person doesn't read for comprehension especially well. It would help if you had just a little intellectual humility, so that on the other side of your overreach, you actually had the integrity to come back and say as much. But that's evidently just not part of how you choose to be.

*sigh*

21 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Don't worry @sturt, your Nats will find and develop another promising young ultra-star like Soto again .....

This is the concern though. I don’t think a player of Soto’s ability will come along to a team like the Nats again this soon.

Soto is pretty special. He’s 23, and probably a top 5 or 10 player in the league to me.

The last time the Nats had a guy like this was when they were in Montreal..his name was Vladimir Guerrero. Aka THE MAN. 

For the Washington (Montreal) franchise to land a Vlad and Soto.. is incredible..

I don’t see it coming back this fast, not a Soto guy, perhaps a good prospect but NOT NEARLY as talented as Soto.

This, I gotta hear.... a Barves fan instructing a Nats fan about a Nats player's "money complications"... hehehehe

Spud, you overextend yourself, my friend. And that's an enhanced problem when a person doesn't read for comprehension especially well. It would help if you had just a little intellectual humility, so that on the other side of your overreach, you actually had the integrity to come back and say as much. But that's evidently just not part of how you choose to be.

*sigh*

I’ve read Washington will have money issues and get a lesser deal if they hang onto Soto. FACTS.

• Sad 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I’ve read Washington will have money issues and get a lesser deal if they hang onto Soto. FACTS.

Well then. If Spud has read something... who can possibly wonder whether you know what you're talking about???

hehehe

I think your reading comprehension speaks for itself in this very thread, unfortunately for you.

For any ordinary team, it's not a money issue. The Lerners, in fact, have long had the deserved reputation for not being shy to spend. Soto remains under team control for, as I recall, two years. He won't be cheap, but he also won't be making in arbitration what he's actually worth.

It's only for a team in the midst of a likely ownership change that it's an issue.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

I don’t think a player of Soto’s ability will come along to a team like the Nats again this soon.

Soto is pretty special. He’s 23, and probably a top 5 or 10 player in the league to me.

The last time the Nats had a guy like this was when they were in Montreal..his name was Vladimir Guerrero. Aka THE MAN. 

For the Washington (Montreal) franchise to land a Vlad and Soto.. is incredible..

I don’t see it coming back this fast, not a Soto guy, perhaps a good prospect but NOT NEARLY as talented as Soto.

Agree with all that.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Well then. If Spud has read something... who can possibly wonder whether you know what you're talking about???

hehehe

I think your reading comprehension speaks for itself in this very thread, unfortunately for you.

For any ordinary team, it's not a money issue. The Lerners, in fact, have long had the deserved reputation for not being shy to spend. Soto remains under team control for, as I recall, two years. He won't be cheap, but he also won't be making in arbitration what he's actually worth.

It's only for a team in the midst of a likely ownership change that it's an issue.

Ya but it’s the Senators/Expos bro. Nobody reaaaaaallyyy.. how can I say this politely 🤔 gives a $hit. :laugh1: 

You’re lucky you even have a fluke a$$ ring, take it and 🏃‍♀️. *