File under just when you thought you'd seen everything in baseball...


Recommended Posts

  • Premium Member

That's crazy.  Showing up an ump is always a great idea right?   I saw the calls and while they were bad they were only bad in the era of computerized strike zones.   89% right or whatever it was would have been an amazing day behind the plate 20 years ago.   For Eric Gregg that'd be a new personal best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Well, first, do the math, right? That's not even $30m/yr.

Then too, a lot of Nats big money contracts over the Lerner years have been backloaded, so that it's less expensive since the time value of money practically always means a dollar today is worth more than a dollar in 10 years.

I doubt he's going anywhere soon, unless would become apparent that the Lerners have found a buyer, and that buyer prefers to start with as clean a payroll as possible.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, sturt said:

Two words.

John. Collins.

Two other words..

Different situation.

I understand it’s probably difficult as a fan to come to terms with having to deal this phenom of a player, but he wants to win and he doesn’t wanna be another Bradley Beal loser stuck in DC. 
 

He said he got a taste 👅 of winning and wants more..

That’s not in DC.

Less than 2 weeks, he is wearing a new uni. Guaranteed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member

There is no difference b/t NBA writers descending like vultures on the John Collins story line from MLB writers doing the same with Juan.

I understand it's probably difficult as a fan to come to terms with having to deal with a phenom being dangled by media as-if the $440m offer was the end of the story.

I also understand that, as a Braves fan, you have so much more insight to Soto than any given Nats fan would... hence your ability to divine that "he wants to win and he doesn't wanna be another Bradley Beal"... hehe....

Here's another similarity with JC.... JS has been clear his preference is to remain with the team where he won a ring. (Nice to know... he's not a ring brat... too... can't help but notice... Bradley Beal has no ring.)

Juan has faith in Rizzo putting together another long stretch of competitive teams in DC. Let me assure you.

Or don't.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, sturt said:

Juan has faith in Rizzo putting together another long stretch of competitive teams in DC. Let me assure you.

 

You got a few hours at most.

Pads and Cards coming hard.

Have you said your farewell’s 👋 to Juan? Pic of him seen saying bye 👋 to our own @sturt 

 

image.gif.a7bc3e37dacdeca69d6863659dc83475.gif

So let’s recap shall we,

Spud said Gallo would be gone Sturt disagreed ✔️ 

Spud said Bruno was a goner and he wasn’t any good Sturt disagreed ✔️ 

Spud said Soto would be traded, Stu disagreed. ✔️?…

How many hours? He still got faith in your GM you think? 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

You got a few hours at most.

Pads and Cards coming hard.

Have you said your farewell’s 👋 to Juan? Pic of him seen saying bye 👋 to our own @sturt 

 

image.gif.a7bc3e37dacdeca69d6863659dc83475.gif

So let’s recap shall we,

Spud said Gallo would be gone Sturt disagreed ✔️ 

Spud said Bruno was a goner and he wasn’t any good Sturt disagreed ✔️ 

Spud said Soto would be traded, Stu disagreed. ✔️?…

How many hours? He still got faith in your GM you think? 

OMG 😲...:laugh1:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Spud said Gallo would be gone Sturt disagreed

Spud said Bruno was a goner  Sturt disagreed

 

I really don't mind the kidding and attempts at humor so much.

But people are going to read that and think you're serious. And those are not serious, truthful statements. Neither one. Ever. At all. End of sentence.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sturt said:

I really don't mind the kidding and attempts at humor so much.

But people are going to read that and think you're serious. And those are not serious, truthful statements. Neither one. Ever. At all. End of sentence.

Duuuuude, we exchanged PM’s about Gallo and the Bruno thing, well he’s a great person but he stinks, he stunk when he was here and he stinks now and he will most likely stink next year and beyond.

Bow you’ve pissed off 2 people today! :buttdance:Mace being the 1st 😂 

 

and the Soto one .. let me find it..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, sturt said:

There is no difference b/t NBA writers descending like vultures on the John Collins story line from MLB writers doing the same with Juan.

JC wasn’t Soto. Soto wants out of that mess they call a ball club over there in DC aka Montreal, but anyways, you said Soto would trust the GM, it’s written right here.

If the readers don’t believe me they saw your prediction on Soto and would probably believe the other two things as well because they are quite believable.

🤷‍♀️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sturt said:

Neither one. Ever. At all. End of sentence.

 

On 7/17/2022 at 3:20 PM, sturt said:

Juan has faith in Rizzo putting together another long stretch of competitive teams in DC.

Right here ☝🏿

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Duuuuude, we exchanged PM’s about Gallo and the Bruno thing

Oh damn.

You were serious???

You've posted twice since this part in the first one... I presume, you came to realize that I didn't say what you said I said... a person of integrity would just admit that... a clown wouldn't.

Let's just be clear, Spud. I was among the first to say it was highly unlikely that Gallo would be back, and offered numerous trade ideas after season's end based on that premise. And while I didn't want Bruno to be sent off in a trade, that's not the same thing as predicting he wouldn't eventually be let go someway somehow, ie, what you said I said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, sturt said:

Oh damn.

You were serious???

You've posted twice since this part in the first one... I presume, you came to realize that I didn't say what you said I said... a person of integrity would just admit that... a clown wouldn't.

Let's just be clear, Spud. I was among the first to say it was highly unlikely that Gallo would be back, and offered numerous trade ideas after season's end based on that premise. And while I didn't want Bruno to be sent off in a trade, that's not the same thing as predicting he wouldn't eventually be let go someway somehow, ie, what you said I said.

Seems you hate a bit guy. You didn’t even love the AJ Griff call 📞. I get it tho, frustrating from your view.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Seems you hate a bit guy. You didn’t even love the AJ Griff call 📞. I get it tho, frustrating from your view.

If that's as close as we're going to get to, "I was wrong, and I apologize for lying," I'll just have to take it, I suppose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Premium Member
On 7/17/2022 at 5:20 PM, sturt said:

There is no difference b/t NBA writers descending like vultures on the John Collins story line from MLB writers doing the same with Juan.

I understand it's probably difficult as a fan to come to terms with having to deal with a phenom being dangled by media as-if the $440m offer was the end of the story.

I also understand that, as a Braves fan, you have so much more insight to Soto than any given Nats fan would... hence your ability to divine that "he wants to win and he doesn't wanna be another Bradley Beal"... hehe....

Here's another similarity with JC.... JS has been clear his preference is to remain with the team where he won a ring. (Nice to know... he's not a ring brat... too... can't help but notice... Bradley Beal has no ring.)

Juan has faith in Rizzo putting together another long stretch of competitive teams in DC. Let me assure you.

Or don't.

 

 

Let's see what happens. I'm always one to say I try not to pretend myself omniscient, as-if I dictate the future. Like Fields admitted there had been conversations about JC, so Rizzo has been up front that they're talking w/ other teams and assessing their options. My assertion above was response to the idea that turning down any given offer should be taken as writing on the wall that Soto is relocating.

Mind you, when it first came to light that the Lerners were selling the team, I was one of the first to say that that probably should be taken to mean Soto would be moved--just based on my NLStros experience, the lesson taken from that was that new owners prefer as clean a payroll sheet as possible.

I still am inclined toward that, but have to give latitude to those who have claimed that there is no consensus among whatever prospective new owners are out there, which may explain why Soto hasn't already been dealt.

If it weren't for that factor, though, then there would be precious little reason to think that Rizzo isn't just using this opportunity... just as Schlenk has done in the past... to measure what he can get in the future if he ever decides to make the move. There is no compelling reason, other than the ownership change, to make the move now, when the population of interested teams is confined to just a few who consider themselves real contenders. Rather, all things being equal, you'd rather make that kind of move in the off-season, when hope springs eternal for almost all of the other 29 teams... a much better seller's market, naturally.

I do love this kid's attitude and maturity and, of course, talent. It will be sad, no question, if he's not a National at 6:01 pm today.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, sturt said:

It will be sad, no question, if he's not a National at 6:01 pm today.

The contrary, most likely now he will be moved to a team that contends on a regular basis and that should make a player of his caliber.. happier? Makes sense don’t it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7:41am: There is a “growing sense” that the Padres are the likeliest landing spot for not only Soto but also Josh Bell, tweets Barry Svrluga of the Washington Post. There’s some momentum in those talks, he adds. Similarly, the Post’s Jesse Dougherty tweets that the Nationals are beginning to narrow the field.

San Diego, of course, already has Eric Hosmerinstalled at first base, but they’ve been trying for more than a year to unload the remainder of that contract. Speculatively speaking, if the Nats truly want to maximize the return on Soto (and perhaps Bell), they could be the ones to absorb the remaining three years and $39MM on Hosmer’s contract themselves. The trio of Hosmer, Patrick Corbin and Stephen Strasburg would be a lot of underwater contracts for one team, of course, but the Nats have little else on the payroll in the immediate future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.