• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Casualties of the Luxury tax....

Diesel

• Premium Member

In the zone: Jock Landale, 22, basketballer | The Saturday PaperAtlanta Hawks' Kevin Huerter Back Sooner Than Expected?

The Hawks have dropped at least two players because of the luxury tax.   Jock Landale and Kevin Huerter.   The effect of the moves is seen quite clearly.   These were money moves that has effected what happens on the floor.  Kev is having his best season as a pro; he has become Maryland Kev.  And Landale would have helped our big man rotation. 

Our reluctantness to go into the tax tells me that there will be more money moves to come.  We're just now seeing the value of a healthy Bogi.   Unfortunately, we have the rest of this season and the offseason to see who is going to be the next to go.  Every year, we hear JC rumors.  Could he be the next casualty of the Luxury tax?

Tell me what you think.

All I know is that you can be a bean counter and a championship team at the same time. 

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/12/2022 at 6:28 AM, Diesel said:

Jock Landale

Not really.

Jock actually would have cost less than Frank, but it would seem that the FO already had identified Frank (ie, when they cut Jock) as their preferred fifth big (.... and that, on a team that continues to prefer not to have a sixth).

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Hawks received $10 million in Luxury Tax payments from the 2021-22 season. 

So it's not only about Tony paying the tax. It's also about what he receives as non-Tax payer.

Sadly... it effects what we do on the court...  But hey.. At least Tony got that shiny new dime...

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Sothron said:

You forgot Delon Wright who we have severely missed this season. I would have loved to see him and DJM together in the backcourt. Oh well.

FWIW Ressler will pay the LT starting next season. 

I hope so, but with potentially JC and Capela gone we'll have $40 million plus the cap increase to fill out the roster.  I can see a "let's wait another year" coming.

• Like 1