• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Future of AJ...

Diesel

• Premium Member

AJ Griffin  aka Griff Money  aka Young Kobe.

What is the future of AJ?

Here's my thing.  Let's consider that AJ may be a great player on the rise i.e. Young Kobe.    But if he does have his rise...where does he settle?

Is he a SG or is he a SF?

Does he replace DJ or Does he replace Hunter?

What are your thoughts?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Is he a SG or is he a SF?

Does he replace DJ or Does he replace Hunter?

I think he can play either SG and SF.

Too soon to tell if he replaces either.  

Does DJ resign? Does Hunter become more consistent?

Development is also not always linear, so we will see what happens in his sophomore season.

The good thing is, he is in the first year of his rookie contract so there is time for his development before his 2nd contract approaches.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think he can play either SG and SF.

Too soon to tell if he replaces either.  

Does DJ resign? Does Hunter become more consistent?

Development is also not always linear, so we will see what happens in his sophomore season.

The good thing is, he is in the first year of his rookie contract so there is time for his development before his 2nd contract approaches.

I agree.   However, these things require planning.   If DejounTrae is the immediate future of the Hawks and we plan to reup DJ... then we need to realize that Hunter is probably going to be traded and we should groom AJ to be his replacement. 

I know we all look at the Hawks as to what are we going to do with our bigs... but this SG/SF issue has to be resolved also. 

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I agree.   However, these things require planning.   If DejounTrae is the immediate future of the Hawks and we plan to reup DJ... then we need to realize that Hunter is probably going to be traded and we should groom AJ to be his replacement. 

I know we all look at the Hawks as to what are we going to do with our bigs... but this SG/SF issue has to be resolved also. 

By the time AJ is due a contract extension, Hunter will have one year left on his deal....so time over the next 3 years to groom him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

some interesting things 🤔

But he definitely needs more minutes.

Didn't realize he was this ummm.....concerned...... with things he can't possibly know or control.  God is on God's time - hope this sort of thinking doesn't affect him too much.  Hope he has his head on straight.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Despite picking up Chick-fil-A for his teammates for many trips on the road, Atlanta Hawks rookie forward AJ Griffin doesn't get anything for himself. Why not? He became a pescatarian (someone who eats seafood but no meat or meat products) prior to the start of his first NBA season.

"Don't forget the sauce, Rook!" shouted Atlanta forward John Collins as I asked AJ about his fast food runs. AJ laughed and said his meal of choice is often pasta-related. Becoming a pescatarian was a result of talking with his teammate Tyrese Martin, "He talked about it this summer. He got me onto it, and I loved how I felt after trying it for a few weeks."

Those first two weeks of AJ not consuming meat were rough, but after that time passed, he found it easier to live without it. "I stopped noticing that I wasn't even eating chicken, it just came natural." The transition hasn't been tough for when the Hawks hit the road as AJ sticks to what he knows, "I just try to get as much pasta, shrimp, noodles, whatever you can get." He is averaging 9.3 points off the bench on 47.7% shooting. Among rookies, AJ is 7th in total points for this season (fewest total minutes played out of those in the top 10), 4th in total three pointers made, and 7th in total steals.

• Like 1

What is AJ Griffin?  He's the Hawk's hope of the future.  He's our best.  He's a solid foundation piece.  He has a lot to learn and must be given the opportunity to grow.

Will he be a 2 or a 3?  He could be either one.  This will depend on who else Atlanta has on the team and their position.  He is capable of fitting right in from either position.

🧑‍🔧

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
12 hours ago, StonedDogs said:

Can two ball dominant point guards win a title? Are there any in history who has done it? 

The problem is...

Small Sample size. 

It can probably be done.   However, the sample size over history is small.   But to answer your question...

Coming out of McNeese State, Joe Dumars was a PG drafted in the 1985 draft.   He was what I would consider an OG (Off Guard).   That's my notation that he can play both Guard positions.  I feel that's what we have in DJ.   Players like Barbosa, Dumars, Baron Davis, McCollum, etc... these are guys who could be OGs.

That being the case, there have only been a few PG/OG pairings.. that I can remember:

• Thomas/Dumars =  Chips
  • Nash/Barbosa = WCFs
  • Lillard/McCollum = Actually both are OGs.
  • Iverson/Snow = Finals 
  • Paul/Harden = WCFs

See many people think that two "PGs" can win.   No.  You have to be able to put the right players around them and to establish a hierarchy that works for them.  One will be the Alpha.  I don't think we're far off that where we are.  It's definitely an X and O's coach dream to have the pieces that we have.   Our team as composed right now, would have dominated in the 90s.   The problem is Steph Curry.   Steph changed the game. 

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I think we would be better served with him at SG and eventually find a replacement for Hunter if he doesn't develop a knack for rebounding the ball. It might be already too late for that. Problem is right now AJ can't rebound as well.

For AJ Griffin, he hasn't had this long of a season ever in his young life.  He's still maturing.  The talent is apparent.  He's been brushed aside right now.  He needs to rest and recover his talent.

After this season, a very short rest period.  Then it's prep time for the pre season and next season.  He will know more of what to expect.  He should be better.

:smug:

• Premium Member

I saw AJ on the bench during a time out the other day.  I felt sad for him.   I realize that his minutes have waned down to garbage time... and that he can work on some areas.. but I still believe that he has star potential.  If he doesn't get significant time the rest of the way, I hope he goes and works on his defense and his shooting.   He should be a three and D guy.. He's so young, big, and he has great instincts. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...