• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks v. Knicks- Defensive Miscues - Hawks Disaster-class

NBASupes

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Ehh... Looks like a fundamentally bad defensive team. Coaching and players. 

The roster needs an overhaul besides a few key young core players (OO, AJ, Trae, DJ)

Sacred Cow time. 

This overhaul...  what has these players done to guarantee their stay through an overhaul?

I will spot you Trae because he is historic. 

But the rest... what have they done more than others to be on this great list?

With OO, AJ, Trae, and DJ.. what direction are you going??

If it's Defense, why are you relieving Dre and CC?  It can't be defense because most of the time, it's OO and DJ getting beat by their men.  AJ's defense is not stellar either. 

I'd rather you just said.. I like the young guys we drafted.   The guys who we haven't seen enough of to make a real determination on what they can be...

Didn't we learn about that when we had Taureen Prince and Bremby?  I heard a lot of the sacred cow BS about them too.

Let a player show us what they can do...before deciding that they must be a part of the overhaul.

11 hours ago, kg01 said:

I haven't heard this level of disgust and disdain since witnessing @Spud2nique react to the Warriors championship run.

This is Shakes voice isn’t it?

Something gives me a weird feeling this dude with the breakdown doesn’t know much but sadly he still does understand our defense stinks. 

• Haha 2

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

It's not nonsense.  Nate isn't the ONLY problem, but he's the biggest problem and I do believe replacing him would solve some of the issues this team has.  Wouldn't solve all of them, but I think a new voice would get more buy in from the players.  Perhaps I shouldn't have said it all traces back to Nate.  There's obviously some personal accountability from players but I think the Nate is the biggest issue from an effort and scheme standpoint.  

I think this is mostly true.  A new coach would probably get more player buy in.   A lot of the miscues shown in the video though.. were player recognition errors.   I can't say that that's on Nate.  It could be but it seems like there was a scheme in place but the players just wasn't using it correctly. 

But Let's look at this again...

However, the Hawks new hire has had varied results when coordinating team's defensive schemes in the past. Different fanbases from around the league quickly reminded Hawks fans that Longabardi had overseen three of the nine worst defensive teams of all time. 

The 2018-19 Cleveland Cavaliers (117.6) have the worst defensive rating ever. The 2019-20 Washington Wizards (115.5) have the seventh-worst defensive rating. Lastly, the 2021-22 Sacramento Kings (115.3) have the ninth-worst defensive rating in league history.

Maybe it's the wrong hire.  Either way, Nate is responsible.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

Interesting how many of those mistakes were not Trae’s fault.

We have a poor defensive culture. We lack discipline. Coaching strategy is lacking.

Back to the drawing board.

I hope people don't get your comment twisted.

You're not saying he's blameless, you're saying 'wait, look at what these other dudes are doing ... er, not doing'..

Up until now, our defensive struggles were blames solely on one guy because he's "the head of the snake" or whatever.  The reality is we have a poor defensive culture and literally everybody bares blame.

The fiction is that it's all one guys fault because he's the "WOAT" defender.  Only casuals think that. 😏

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

This is Shakes voice isn’t it?

Something gives me a weird feeling this dude with the breakdown doesn’t know much but sadly he still does understand our defense stinks. 

Nah, @shakes voice is more like Gilbert Gottfried I think. 😄

Edited by kg01
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I disagree. We've had games where the defense is locked in and communicating.

Oof, burd.  I gotta do the unthinkable and side with Gilbert.  I don't think there's been one full game where we haven't devolved into all-star game level defense(sic) for at least part of the game.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I disagree. We've had games where the defense is locked in and communicating.

I think you're having selective memory.  There have been games where the team has played good defense for maybe an entire quarter at most, but that's about it.   Granted, those quarters where the team actually tries really stand out because they happen so rarely.  I could see where they would leave such a lasting impression that later on you remember it incorrectly as being greater that it really was.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Oof, burd.  I gotta do the unthinkable and side with Gilbert.  I don't think there's been one full game where we haven't devolved into all-star game level defense(sic) for at least part of the game.

Disagree! Our defense was trending in the right direction to start the season - MIDDLE OF THE PACK: Clint was taking charges, Murray was getting steals, the communication was better - when I can hear guys talking on defense through my TV, it's happening. I'm not saying it was all-world then, but compared to what it has been lately -  it has been abysmal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Spud2nique said:

That’s me jerk! My 5 o’clock shadow. :er:

Oh, my bad.  I saw the mange and figured it was an otherworldly beast.  Does the girl-wife know you use a lawnmower instead of a Gillette? 🤓

24 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Disagree! Our defense was trending in the right direction to start the season - MIDDLE OF THE PACK: Clint was taking charges, Murray was getting steals, the communication was better - when I can hear guys talking on defense through my TV, it's happening. I'm not saying it was all-world then, but compared to what it has been lately -  it has been abysmal.

Compared to what it's been lately?

Shiiiii.... Me, you, and a boy named Sue could go out there and look good defensively if that's the standard.

Heck, at least we'd use all our fouls.  They would definitely 'feel' us.  Everybody would be gettin that jab to the belly when they raise up for a jumper.  Take a 3 at your own risk, baybee.  You'd see the first ever flagrant-8 with us out there.

And @Spud2nique would absolutely be hunting the first 'he too tawwwlllllll' celebration.

• Haha 3

• Premium Member

Nobody wants to touch it but I think we made the wrong hire....

We have a guy running our defense who is really not a good defensive coach...

Article 1

Article 2

Tell me we don't see the same things...

Before Longabardi’s hiring, the Cavs allowed 100.2 points per 100 possessions, the seventh best mark in the league. Since Longabardi took over the defense, the Cavaliers have allowed teams to score 105.4 points per 100 possessions, which, as fate would have it, is good for just 13th in the league. Remember Longabardi’s best season in Phoenix ended up in the team finishing with the 13th best defense in the league. If history were to repeat itself, the Cavs defense would decline under Longabardi, something that is definitely worth watching closely.

It must be considered that the one defensive numeric the Cavaliers value the most is defensive field goal percentage. Inside Cleveland’s locker-room is a board with the league leaders in that category, which serves as a constant reminder for the players how important that number is. It makes sense- if teams are shooting a high percentage against you, the defense isn’t up to par and vice versa.

Using the same parameters to judge how the Cavs defense has performed since Longabardi’s hiring, the Cavaliers allowed teams to shoot 44.3% per game, the 12th best mark in the league. However, since Longabardi took control of the defense, Cleveland has dropped to 18th in the NBA, as teams are hitting 45.9% of their shots against them.

It seems to me that Longabordi got his training with Thibs but that defensive training has fallen by the wayside with the new offensive focus on the three ball.   That's what Cavs fans saw... That's what Wiz fans saw.. and that what Kings fans saw...

We got a retread... to go with our retread.... and our defensive inability is showing because he doesn't put us in position to win.   Ty Lue had to take over the defense... and so did Doc Rivers.. according to many...  Nate... you better be thinking about taking over the defense. 

• Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Nobody wants to touch it but I think we made the wrong hire....

Dies-o, I absolutely want to touch it.

(pause for effect)

As this season unfurls, it becomes more and more clear we have coaching problems on many levels.  Purposeful bad hires, the nepo-elevation, the seeming disinterest in games.  It smacks of a guy near retirement just coasting to the end.

The question is why did the front office allow this?  Him hesitating to accept the job after the playoff run was a glaring, flashing red flag.  But we were so drunk off the run, and getting rid of Melvin Hunt (ok, that's just me), we looked the other way.

Shame on him but double-shame on us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, kg01 said:

lawnmower

:angry2:… :huh: no but Costco makes bank off me in the razor 🪒 department and not only cuz of my face.

image.gif.c757e392d44ec9ea8da462e5d94c30e4.gif

GO HAWKS!!! :hmm:

44 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I absolutely want to touch it.

(pause for effect)

You read my mind. :sarcastic:

• Haha 2