• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Quin Snyder Unplugged.

JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

What did you want to establish with Trae going forward? I haven’t had a specific agenda. That’s why I felt like being thrown into it with all the guys — with D.J. (Dejounte Murray), with Hunt (De’Andre Hunter), with Trae, you kind of go down the line — just being together and being around each other, those windows that you feel, those things that you think are important, present themselves, and then you can talk about them. Whatever that might be. Rather than kind of having a list of things. Let’s experience it first. Let me get to know them, them get to know me, and to the extent that everybody gives each other the benefit of the doubt on trust, until that gets violated in some way — and maybe it will, even unknowingly. But even that is an experience, if you’re transparent about everything, that can help you grow as a team, and grow as a coach.

Trae Young: Quin Snyder is a hell of a coach

i_46_c4_b1_trae-young.png?w=190

“Quin’s a hell of a coach, hell of a person,” Young said after the Hawks swept a key two-game series in D.C. over the Wizards last week, giving them a little breathing room over the Raptors and Wizards in the Play-In chase. “I just continue to take it day-by-day. We’re continuing to learn each other. It’s been a great process so far. It’s just the beginning. I know we’re going to win a lot of games here. We’re going to win a lot of games together. So, that’s the plan.”

John Collins calls Hawks' 2022-23 season 'a soap opera'

i_3a_ad_c9_john-collins.png?w=190

https://theathletic.com/4300281/2023/03/13/quin-snyder-exclusive-interview-trae-young/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I get the feeling that he's a master of developing relationships with players.   Players will go through a wall for Snyd.   Never heard a player with a bad word about him...other than the long practices. 

I look forward to seeing him develop that trust with our guys. I think he's well on his way. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

More:

You could have waited until the summer and had a lot more places to choose from. There’s always changes after a season. So something had to intrigue you about this. Was it situation, franchise, players, team, all of the above? Something else?

My wife’s lived in Atlanta, when she was younger. We spent a lot of time in the southeast, when I was at Duke and whatnot. The area was appealing on one level. But that wasn’t the determining factor. I think, I really connected with Landry when we talked. And Kyle and I, Kyle played for me, once as an assistant (when Snyder assisted Mike Budenholzer in Atlanta), once as a head coach. There was some trust there that was already established. I think the conversations I had with Tony, and his vision, big picture.

And then, the team. The players, feeling like the group, you’d have a chance to potentially impact them. Every job has challenges. There was a lot of things that, in my mind, made sense. And I felt like I had an idea of what that looked like. I was really lucky, being in Utah. So I had a good lens to kind of look at it through. I didn’t anticipate this happening now, but it was intriguing enough. And then the more I learned about it, it just made sense to me, even though the timing wasn’t what you thought it would be, that it made sense to do.

How much of your playbook can you put in now?

I think the biggest challenge is the terminology, and the communication. I think that’s something you try to take the pulse of as you go. There’s things, maybe concepts, that you feel like fit the group, and they may already be doing, but kind of do them more, or do them a little differently, refine them. More than anything, you know, there’s things that I feel strongly about, and you can start to do them. But understanding that you may not be very good at it. And trying to find that balance between what you see in the present, and the future. The things that line up are the things you really want to do.

And the other things, you just have to know, maybe you see that somewhere down the line, but it’s not going to help right now, because it’s not going to help you win. The barometer for me, I guess, is how can we be the best version of ourselves at the end of the year? Whatever that kind of process looks like. And it’s trying to adapt to it each day.

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Last one:

How unsettling is it to not yet know your team? You come in, and you have to live with some stuff until you’re more familiar.

For one thing, the coaching staff has been great. The guys, listening to them, sharing, you think we can adapt in this area? ‘Quin, that one’s hard.’ Or, a lot of things, you find out, they’re doing. And how can you try to make it more comfortable for me, and also keep the players in their comfort zones. Just getting to know everybody in the organization. Again, I think that’s where Landry and Kyle have really helped. And, everybody – from Zac (Walsh, the Hawks’ director of team operations), operations, training staff, coaching staff, people have really helped me

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Here's a thought, Coach.

Get a couple of guys in here who are familiar with your philosophies. One of 'em is playing just down the street for College Park. Another of 'em is here in the city, able to be re-signed as quickly as you'd want after his one 10-day stint.

Just tryin to help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...