• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trae’s Fouls

benhillboy

I loved how he used them last night (4 of em). Isaiah Thomas said long ago one of his youth mentors would ask him “how many fouls you had?” before anything else.  A PG who isn’t afraid to use them to get a little dirty is huge to chemistry.  I’m sure Quin has uttered “don’t be afraid to foul” to Trae about 100 times so it’s sticking.  He’s making him believe that even though you aren’t a strong 48 minute defender you can seize a moment and make plays.

I don’t mind if it’s in the penalty too much if it’s an 80-ish or below shooter.  It may be me but players tend to miss one when he fouls them anyway so on a would-be basket it’s a plus.  

Trae was pesky and buzzy, using his hands and quickness.  He swiped downward and upward on rebounders blind side trying to get a steal; that’s irritating and slowing to an opposing offense.  I’d much rather he mix it up with referees on the defensive end as well, they hear you out a little more and show favor on that end if you’re truly working.

Hawks have a slightly higher winning percentage when Trae has more than 2 fouls (36-41, .467) than when he has less than 2 (77-89, .463). There is no danger of him ever fouling out when he commits an offensive foul once every 5 games including the playoffs.

I’ve always said an engaged, sacrificial defender in Trae takes this team to a whole new plane of competition.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This is the kind of pesky team defender that I had envisioned for Trae to become for years.  He is finally realizing that he too can have an impact on the defensive side of the ball. And he probably can get even better over time by being a pesky Arron holiday type defender.

• Like 1