• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

List of the Day 8-17... Most Overrated.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Alright...  List of the day.. Name the 5 most overrated players in NBA history...  Those whom you have watched. 

One thing to note though.

There is a difference between overrated and biggest disappointment.

Adam Morrison, I would suggest is not overrated.  On the pro level he never showed that he was any good.   But he would be a big disappointment. 

• Premium Member

My list

1. Carmelo Anthony - gets so much praise for not doing anything

2. Allen Iverson - feels like his basketball rating gets raised because of his cultural impact, inefficient offensive player, not a playmaker, not good on defense doesn't get him in the conversations I hear him in

3. Steph Curry - see people putting him in top 10, top 15 all time lists, everyone else there is an elite 2 way player who have also won a lot of chips and have longevity. Steph ain't there.

4. Can't think of other historical players atm, so ill say SGA 

5. Ja

• Like 2

5 hours ago, akay said:

3. Steph Curry - see people putting him in top 10, top 15 all time lists, everyone else there is an elite 2 way player who have also won a lot of chips and have longevity. Steph ain't there.

:hi:Have I told you how highly I think of you lately? If not, :clap:, just lovely 🥰 

• Haha 2

My list:

@akay and I have similar dudes.. 

1. Carmelo Anthony- One of the most selfish, black hole 🕳️ players the league has ever seen. Came in off a cuse championship and was a one way glorified jump shooter. To his credit, I thought he played hard and different his first 6 years of so in Denver, around 2009 it was over. Smartest move for the Nuggets to deal this dude. They won a championship 14 years later.. 

2. Danny Manning- When I hear his name, my body twitches, face, ears even move, I get heated, I wanna fight :boxing:. Where do I start. His body, the most no muscle ugly body the league has ever seen. I don’t think he knows what a dumbbell 💪🏿 is? His diet prolly stunk. No way that was an athletes body more like some dude at the Y. 1st pick in his draft.. 🤦‍♀️ 

Then.. Nique. 😡 I’ll never get over this not ever.

3. Stephen sCurry- Volume outside chucker in a system that caters to him with his coach LIAR Kerr. He can’t play defense, HE CAN’T PASS THE BALL FOLKS, simple passes only. HEY STEPH, IMA DROP A BOX 📦 AND 1 ON YOU! BETTER RUN 🏃‍♀️ 🤣 COME BACK HERE YOU SCARED LIL CHICKEN BOYYYY!!! 😂 WUSS!!!! Enjoy your big white stepdad sloppy new poppy! #dellcurryolddad #davidkoechnernewdad

4. Blake Griffin- Came on explosive 🧨 and a dunk show, just yammin on everyone..then it became a power bully no win style ball. He got heavier like J Smoove, body changed and the explosiveness went away. Selfish player who can’t pass or really play any good defense. Jump shot still shaky even after all these years, he’s improved but needs time on the release. He killed the Clippers for yet another decade.

5. Ben Simmons- He doesn’t love the game. He doesn’t even fully understand the game. He is a prima-donna who only cares about himself, comes off super selfish. Can’t shoot a lick. I absolutely despise dudes that handle the rock 🪨 but can’t shoot. Damaged the Sixers and is doing the same to the Nets. He won’t be good again, he might be serviceable but without a jump shot, he’s screwed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, akay said:

Here it's time for the debate.

Here's the reason why Steph is on those lists..

#1.   He has 4 Chips.  Could have been 6. 

#2.   He changed how basketball is played.   Steph ushered in the "modern" NBA.   Until Steph, there was nobody who could take more than 8 3 pters per game. 

#3.   The only player in the History of the game to win the MVP with a unanimous vote.  Not MJ.  Not Lebron.   Steph...

About this two way player comment.   Were they really two way players?  I mean Duncan, Russell, Hakeem, and Jordan were great two way players.  Lebron is a good two way player. 

But how about Magic?   Magic shows up on about every top 5 list.  I watched Magic play... He wasn't locking down anybody.   Oscar Robertson shows up on some of these lists.   His defense wasn't what I would call great.  Since Steph is a bad two way player, name somebody who just went off on Steph?  What player had a 50 point game because Steph couldn't contain them.  OK... 30 point game?  I'm not saying that Steph has been great but I'm saying he hasn't been bad enough to ignore everything else about him. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

1.  Kyrie Irving.  Loved Uncle Drew.   He was supposed to take the reigns of Basketball and be the man.  However, I remember him being traded to Boston to run with young Brown and Tatum.    Then last year, he plays with Luka... and they miss the playin.   He's a skilled player just very overrated. 

2.   Carmelo.  I have to agree here.  Never won nothing.   Never came close to winning nothing. 

3.  Pascal Siakam - High Volume, High Usage.. not that talented. 

4.  SGA - This guy is getting the love now.  Him and Fox and Fox may be my #5.  But SGA is just playing well on a bad team. 

5.  Luka -   Yes, Luka (and not Luka Garza) is a very talented player.   However, Luka is not what the pundits try to say he is.  He's more Carmelo to me.   A very skilled player who probably won't go nowhere.   Missing the playoffs altogether last year made me look again. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, akay said:

My list

1. Carmelo Anthony - gets so much praise for not doing anything

2. Allen Iverson - feels like his basketball rating gets raised because of his cultural impact, inefficient offensive player, not a playmaker, not good on defense doesn't get him in the conversations I hear him in

4. Can't think of other historical players atm, so ill say SGA 

5. Ja

Magic wasn't an elite 2 way player.

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

My list:

@akay and I have similar dudes.. 

1. Carmelo Anthony- One of the most selfish, black hole 🕳️ players the league has ever seen. Came in off a cuse championship and was a one way glorified jump shooter. To his credit, I thought he played hard and different his first 6 years of so in Denver, around 2009 it was over. Smartest move for the Nuggets to deal this dude. They won a championship 14 years later.. 

2. Danny Manning- When I hear his name, my body twitches, face, ears even move, I get heated, I wanna fight :boxing:. Where do I start. His body, the most no muscle ugly body the league has ever seen. I don’t think he knows what a dumbbell 💪🏿 is? His diet prolly stunk. No way that was an athletes body more like some dude at the Y. 1st pick in his draft.. 🤦‍♀️ 

Then.. Nique. 😡 I’ll never get over this not ever.

3. Stephen sCurry- Volume outside chucker in a system that caters to him with his coach LIAR Kerr. He can’t play defense, HE CAN’T PASS THE BALL FOLKS, simple passes only. HEY STEPH, IMA DROP A BOX 📦 AND 1 ON YOU! BETTER RUN 🏃‍♀️🤣 COME BACK HERE YOU SCARED LIL CHICKEN BOYYYY!!! 😂 WUSS!!!! Enjoy your big white stepdad sloppy new poppy! #dellcurryolddad #davidkoechnernewdad

4. Blake Griffin- Came on explosive 🧨 and a dunk show, just yammin on everyone..then it became a power bully no win style ball. He got heavier like J Smoove, body changed and the explosiveness went away. Selfish player who can’t pass or really play any good defense. Jump shot still shaky even after all these years, he’s improved but needs time on the release. He killed the Clippers for yet another decade.

5. Ben Simmons- He doesn’t love the game. He doesn’t even fully understand the game. He is a prima-donna who only cares about himself, comes off super selfish. Can’t shoot a lick. I absolutely despise dudes that handle the rock 🪨 but can’t shoot. Damaged the Sixers and is doing the same to the Nets. He won’t be good again, he might be serviceable but without a jump shot, he’s screwed.

who's rating Ben Simmons these days?  🤔

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

name somebody who just went off on Steph? 

Trae.. in the gym yesterday wherever they were I’m sure he gave scurry all he could handle and more..

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

1.   He has 4 Chips.  Could have been 6. 

Or 1.

These aren’t in any order, but these 5 first come to mind when thinking of who’s overrated:

• Russell Westbrook: All those triple double seasons of teammates jumping out of the way so he could pad his stats. He’s since been found out, but at the time he was touted as better than Oscar Robinson (who could also potentially be considered overrated if he padded his stats as well, but can’t say since I didn’t watch him play). Yuck!
  • James Harden: More made free throws than field goals. Give me a break!
  • Yao Ming: Could never stay on the court in the NBA (sad), but had LARGER THAN LIFE  hype and still retained his HUGE fanbase.
  • Kobe Bryant: Way too inefficient as a #1 option. Padded stats in his final years as his teammates watched him chuck up shots. Amazing in his prime (with Shaq), but his growing ego was his downfall. One of the greats, but not too 10 all time worthy.
  • Kawhi Leonard: Spurs gem that most touted as a future superstar once it was his turn. Although all the tools are there, health is the issue. Hasn’t played more than 60 games in a season since 2016. 

Too early to call their careers overrated, but are currently:

• Ja Morant (amazing team that plays better with him off the court)
  • Zion Williamson (health issues)
  • Jalen Brunson (Knicks’ lack of PG talent over the years have him looking like a GOAT haha)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bird_dirt said:

Steve Francis

Franchise killer more like it I agree. Poor man’s Iverson.

Antoine Walker

Antoinette 🤭 

Rudy Gobert

Al Horford*

😂 beautiful list Dirt! 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

My list is basically a list of low calorie, volume scoring chuckers:

AI (low efficiency volume scoring at its finest; give Shaq your MVP)

Kobe (by far the best player on my list but I see him listed as a top 5 player of all time and my comments on the recent top 10 players in NBA history - Kobe was great but not the top 5 or top 10 player that many have him at; this is purely a response to just how highly he is rated)

Westbrook (inefficient, high volume scoring hurts your team)

Pistol Pete (more inefficient, high volume scoring and unlike the others he never won jack in college or the NBA - probably averaged 60 points a game on 50 shots a game in high school while finishing third in his local conference)

Let’s break that trend and add an “all-time great” big man:

Kevin McHale

I want to add an explanation for Kevin McHale.  Bird was the superstar.  The chief was the defensive anchor.  Remember how JC dropped off his production his first year with Clint?  Remember how he put up 17.6 points on .645% ts% to go with his 7.6 rebounds and 1.2 assists?  The great HOFer Kevin McHale averaged 17.9 points on .605% ts% to go with 7.3 rebounds and 1.7 assists for his career.  Does everyone see the argument for why McHale is overrated or do I need to go on?

Honorable Mentions:

Carmelo Anthony (calories not quite as empty as some others - maybe he is the potato chip to their donut; still empty calories)

Yao Ming (not one season with real impact)

Christian Laettner (how did he keep Shaq off the Dream Team as the college rep?)

Jermaine O’Neal (a 6x All-Star with like 12 point playoff average?)

Bill Laimbeer (wouldn’t have a notable career today; made his by being allowed to hammer people night after night without repercussions)

Steve Francis (bad attitude to go with his low impact, empty calorie career)

James Harden (this one is more about attitude and playoff impact - he went from being a super efficient underrated player to a cancer while still maintaining the elite player rep)

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If I had to do it all over again...

Ja Morant would be on my list.   How could I forget about the team made sensation. 

And for all the people saying Kobe... get the f--- out of here. 

You can't call anybody who led teams to chips.... (4 times) overrated.   His last two chips came with him and an aged Pau Gasol.   His 2009 and 2010 Chips cement the fact that he is one of the best ever.  In a time when Lebron was putting together teams to try to win a chip, Kobe took the players that were given to him and pushed til he won the chip.  Not overrated. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Diesel said:

If I had to do it all over again...

Ja Morant would be on my list.   How could I forget about the team made sensation. 

And for all the people saying Kobe... get the f--- out of here. 

You can't call anybody who led teams to chips.... (4 times) overrated.   His last two chips came with him and an aged Pau Gasol.   His 2009 and 2010 Chips cement the fact that he is one of the best ever.  In a time when Lebron was putting together teams to try to win a chip, Kobe took the players that were given to him and pushed til he won the chip.  Not overrated. 

Robert Horry is better than Jordan.  You can’t call that overrated because he has 7 rings.  Almost double Kobe!

(Pau Gasol led the Lakers in Win Shares for one of those championships.  He was hardly chopped liver.)

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, AHF said:

Robert Horry is better than Jordan.  You can’t call that overrated because he has 7 rings.  Almost double Kobe!

(Pau Gasol led the Lakers in Win Shares for one of those championships.  He was hardly chopped liver.)

When they beat Orlando in 5... Didn't Kobe average 32 ppg?

Now... this win share thing... Does that mean if we took Kobe's 28.6 ppg series average off the table tht Gasol will lead them to a win with his 18 ppg?  Don't let the rebounding induced stats fool you.. nor should you disregard the fact that Kobe's gravity allowed Gasol to eat.  I don't think the Celtics game plan was to stop Gasol. 

And about Horry.. the day that he leads a team in the finals... let me know. 

He can be on the happy to be there team with Stacy King and Steve Kerr.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

When they beat Orlando in 5... Didn't Kobe average 32 ppg?

Now... this win share thing... Does that mean if we took Kobe's 28.6 ppg series average off the table tht Gasol will lead them to a win with his 18 ppg?  Don't let the rebounding induced stats fool you.. nor should you disregard the fact that Kobe's gravity allowed Gasol to eat.  I don't think the Celtics game plan was to stop Gasol. 

And about Horry.. the day that he leads a team in the finals... let me know. 

He can be on the happy to be there team with Stacy King and Steve Kerr.

Yes.  Kobe averaged 32 points on 43% shooting.  That is volume scoring.  Ie he only scored that many because he took that many shots.  Look at my list again.  Volume scorers are getting killed on my list.

Kobe is a great player but not among the very best in the game but a lot of people include him in that discussion.  Thus, overrated.  Carmelo didn’t make the list for me because I think his rep has fallen pretty hard over the years where he is now viewed as better than Glen Robinson but not a truly great player which is much closer than when he was actually playing and had his overblown rep.  I suspect that will be what happens with Ja.  Ja is maybe the most overrated player in the game today but I don’t think time will be kind to him.  

• Like 1