Save the day.. Trade of the Day....

Diesel

• Moderators

I would evaluate this trade as: "Do I prefer Hunter or Hachimura?"  I haven't watched Rui this year so I'm not going to opine on that but from what I saw in prior years I would have to be persuaded that this would be an upgrade.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, AHF said:

I would evaluate this trade as: "Do I prefer Hunter or Hachimura?"  I haven't watched Rui this year so I'm not going to opine on that but from what I saw in prior years I would have to be persuaded that this would be an upgrade.

And isn't Hachimura more PF than SF?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Rui, I would say is the modern day PF.   He doesn't rebound well because he hasn't really been in that position to rebound (offensively) but he does shoot from outside pretty good.  His size and motor are good.  He's a rotational player.   I think he's more Physical than Hunter... but Hunter can be better in spurts.   I see Rui as a rotational player who can play good minutes at the 4.  

I think the other part of the trade was ignored.  Gabe Vincent.   He's not a bad player.   Again, another rotational player, but somebody I trust to go out and hold up the offense but mainly bring some defense. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think the addition of Gabe Vincent, if he's still anything like his Heat days might be interesting though.

Not interesting enough that I would take a worse player or worse fit.  He doesn't move the needle enough for me to care about that piece.  I'm only doing it if I think Rui is an upgrade for this team.  Vincent is a career sub 40% shooter (33% from 3) so isn't my ideal backup but good enough defensively that it would be a nice luxury for minutes behind Trae and DM.

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Why would the Lakers do this??? The Lakers couldn't care less about the Hawks. 

46 minutes ago, theheroatl said:

Lakers would never do this dude 

They would do it if they like Hunter better than Rui for their team.  It essentially lets them upgrade from Taurean Prince as their starting SF to DeAndre Hunter.  For whatever his faults, that is an obvious and significant upgrade.  (Heck, Hunter is even an upgrade on Prince as a rebounder!)

image.png

Rui is a very nice backup to LeBron.  I think Vincent is more valuable to the Lakers as a backup combo guard than he would be here so him being in the deal doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

But the idea that the Lakers might prefer Hunter to Rui is pretty realistic.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

They would do it if they like Hunter better than Rui for their team.  It essentially lets them upgrade from Taurean Prince as their starting SF to DeAndre Hunter.  For whatever his faults, that is an obvious and significant upgrade.  (Heck, Hunter is even an upgrade on Prince as a rebounder!)

image.png

Rui is a very nice backup to LeBron.  I think Vincent is more valuable to the Lakers as a backup combo guard than he would be here so him being in the deal doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Somehow the Lakers end up with Cam and Hunter?  That would be some comedy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, FL_BRYANT said:

Why would the Lakers do this??? The Lakers couldn't care less about the Hawks. 

Lakers need some three point shooting help.   They won't be able to match up with Phoenix as is.  Having Mills and Hunter off the bench will help.   Plus, they get out of two three year contracts of players that they have no more use for.  Lastly, Lebron has become the Atlanta Hawks Wing whisperer.  He knows how to get the best out of former Atlanta Hawks wings.   He can reach Hunter. 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

image.png

What you say is true... but the reason I looked is because it seems that the Lakers have found that they don't need Gabe as much.   Patty Mills is that off the bench gunner that will help them win playoff series.  Reports are that Gabe is shaky as an off the bench gunner.