• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I've been watching the 2024 NBA Draft class and it's been... weaker than usual

NBASupes

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, KB21 said:

If they go the nurturing route

Looking at how this season unfolded with a lack of depth from the start.  I don't know if I would be happy with a player that will just be sent to CP.

I think they need a player able to contribute that can help us fill in the depth on the roster.

We have needs all across the Front court:

Center - are we rolling with OO and trading Clint

Power Forward - need a backup at PF behind JJ

Small Forward - with Bey out for next season, his spot as a swing forward needs filling. Will Hunter remain a fixture off the bench or will he go back to starting.

The guard rotation/depth will be dependent on what happens with DJ.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Looking at how this season unfolded with a lack of depth from the start.  I don't know if I would be happy with a player that will just be sent to CP.

I think they need a player able to contribute that can help us fill in the depth on the roster.

We have needs all across the Front court:

Center - are we rolling with OO and trading Clint

Power Forward - need a backup at PF behind JJ

Small Forward - with Bey out for next season, his spot as a swing forward needs filling. Will Hunter remain a fixture off the bench or will he go back to starting.

The guard rotation/depth will be dependent on what happens with DJ.

Honestly, if you are relying on a rookie for any of that, you are probably going to be screwed anyway.  I'm not sure I see very many prospects who I feel like can come in and play a role right away without any significant flaws.  Ryan Dunn would potentially be our best defender on the perimeter, but the offense is a major issue.  Donovan Clingan would give us more rim protection, but there are questions about whether he's just a drop coverage big on defense and whether he can play more than 20 minutes a night.  Dalton Knecht would give us shooting and shot ability off the dribble on offense, but defensively, he's lacking in a major way.  Filipowski could potentially be a stretch four, but there are questions as to whether he is athletic enough to defend fours.  My feelings on Zach Edey are already noted.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
59 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Honestly, if you are relying on a rookie for any of that, you are probably going to be screwed anyway.  I'm not sure I see very many prospects who I feel like can come in and play a role right away without any significant flaws.  Ryan Dunn would potentially be our best defender on the perimeter, but the offense is a major issue.  Donovan Clingan would give us more rim protection, but there are questions about whether he's just a drop coverage big on defense and whether he can play more than 20 minutes a night.  Dalton Knecht would give us shooting and shot ability off the dribble on offense, but defensively, he's lacking in a major way.  Filipowski could potentially be a stretch four, but there are questions as to whether he is athletic enough to defend fours.  My feelings on Zach Edey are already noted.  

Yes flawed, but playable in certain instances and fill a specific role. 

If our owner is unwilling to 'spend' we have to draft players that can fill a role immediately, not perfection, but provide on court value.  

There are enough rookies contributing meaningful minutes in some fashion this season on playoff teams.  Even out own AJ played 19mpg as a rookie: find what they can do well and play them in those areas where they will have success and be able to contribute.

Hawks need to put together a team that can win next season with talent and real depth.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Hoping that Zvonimir Ivisic has an excellent tournament showing and gets his name back on draft boards. I love his height, fluidity, athleticism, transition play, and shooting. Absolutely crushes the eye test for me. Can someone explain why he's not producing? Is it cause he's too skinny or raw, or is he just not that good?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

With two picks probable in this draft, it is going to be interesting to see what direction the Hawks go.  Thinking back to the 2021 draft, they drafted Jalen Johnson knowing that the immediate impact would not be there.  It was their intent to nurture him and bring him along slowly.  That has worked now that he has a real NBA head coach and a legitimate developmental staff nurturing him.  

In 2022, from everything I have been able to gather, their target/guy they wanted to draft was Jalen Williams from Santa Clara.  Jalen was a small school prospect, but he was a seasoned college player.  I think he was a guy they saw as a potential immediate contributor.  

In 2023, from everything I have been able to gather, Kobe Bufkin was the guy they wanted.  There was some Derek Lively talk, but it seems that Kobe Bufkin was their target all along.  Kobe is somewhere between Jalen and Jalen.  He's not as raw coming out as Jalen Johnson was, but he wasn't as ready to contribute immediately as Jalen Williams was.  

If they go the nurturing route, then I wonder if they are in on Jalen's brother Cody Williams.  The guy has no chance to contribute in a meaningful fashion in the NBA next year, but he's got tools to work with.  He's the upside play that I typically don't jump up and down for, but the upside is there.  He strikes me as a potential Cam Reddish type pick...a guy who is drafted based off his talent and not his production or a combination of the two.  However, Jalen Johnson was that type of pick to me as well.  Trey Murphy was my guy in that draft, and I will gladly admit that I was wrong in my assessment there.  

They were all in on Jalen. 

For 2023. They had five kids like liked which was Gradey d*ck, Casen Wallace, Derrick Lively, Cam Whitmore, and Kobe. They were worried all could be gone. I was kinda surprised they passed on Cam but his Intel was bad. A lot of people past on him. 

This year, too early to tell. Usually pre draft season is when I get draft Intel. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Did a little digging, apparently his defense isn't where it should be

Him and Bradshaw must return back in college. They need a lot of development 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

You already know how I feel

10. Edey

Kings pick. Knecht, Shannon Jr., if they are gone then PGs like Carter, McCain, or Kolek. 

Draft vets or guys who can really help the squad. No one that needs to spend time in College Park unless it's one of the PGs and hope it's temporary.

We need to maximize this draft since we don't have one next year. Quin generally likes to draft older guys if possible. 

Edited by NBASupes

16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Kentucky gonna have to adjust and do like they did the previous years and have upperclassmen mixed in with the youngins

Mitchell and Reeves were their upperclassmen this year and were the only ones who showed up to play.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Bradshaw, Big Z, and even Reed return for a second year. 

SMDH. 

😭😭😭😭😭

7 minutes ago, bird_dirt said:

Mitchell and Reeves were their upperclassmen this year and were the only ones who showed up to play.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Bradshaw, Big Z, and even Reed return for a second year. 

SMDH. 

😭😭😭😭😭

They were role players. They need someone like Oscar. A college star. 

16 hours ago, KB21 said:

With two picks probable in this draft, it is going to be interesting to see what direction the Hawks go.  Thinking back to the 2021 draft, they drafted Jalen Johnson knowing that the immediate impact would not be there.  It was their intent to nurture him and bring him along slowly.  That has worked now that he has a real NBA head coach and a legitimate developmental staff nurturing him.  

In 2022, from everything I have been able to gather, their target/guy they wanted to draft was Jalen Williams from Santa Clara.  Jalen was a small school prospect, but he was a seasoned college player.  I think he was a guy they saw as a potential immediate contributor.  

In 2023, from everything I have been able to gather, Kobe Bufkin was the guy they wanted.  There was some Derek Lively talk, but it seems that Kobe Bufkin was their target all along.  Kobe is somewhere between Jalen and Jalen.  He's not as raw coming out as Jalen Johnson was, but he wasn't as ready to contribute immediately as Jalen Williams was.  

If they go the nurturing route, then I wonder if they are in on Jalen's brother Cody Williams.  The guy has no chance to contribute in a meaningful fashion in the NBA next year, but he's got tools to work with.  He's the upside play that I typically don't jump up and down for, but the upside is there.  He strikes me as a potential Cam Reddish type pick...a guy who is drafted based off his talent and not his production or a combination of the two.  However, Jalen Johnson was that type of pick to me as well.  Trey Murphy was my guy in that draft, and I will gladly admit that I was wrong in my assessment there.  

2022 they were all in on J Dub. Once he got taken before them they just did BPA.

2023 they were all in on Cason Wallace. Lively Whitmore and Bufkin were the other three guys they were targeting/considered and it ended up between Bufkin and Cam. They knew Lakers were taking Bufkin behind and they had a deal ready for the 20th pick which would have landed them Cam but Houston decided to keep the pick.

Too early to tell who will be the guy right now but it'll come out I am sure of it. Don't have historical data to predict this regime's draft profile as easy as it was fro Schlenk but I am positive we will hear of it. I don't think Cody will be someone they target and frankly he has been awful post injury

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

2022 they were all in on J Dub. Once he got taken before them they just did BPA.

2023 they were all in on Cason Wallace. Lively Whitmore and Bufkin were the other three guys they were targeting/considered and it ended up between Bufkin and Cam. They knew Lakers were taking Bufkin behind and they had a deal ready for the 20th pick which would have landed them Cam but Houston decided to keep the pick.

Too early to tell who will be the guy right now but it'll come out I am sure of it. Don't have historical data to predict this regime's draft profile as easy as it was fro Schlenk but I am positive we will hear of it. I don't think Cody will be someone they target and frankly he has been awful post injury

The Hawks seem to have a very close relationship with the Klutch agency.  I'm curious to see which draft prospects they will represent.

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Was the deal for Cam in addition to getting Kobe?

• Premium Member

So who had their bracket busted with the Kentucky loss?

Question - Reed and Dillingham doesn't start for KY? Combined they had 13pts, how come? They're supposed to both be top 5 picks?

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

IIRC, The rumors I remember was Harden going back to Houston, which meant Houston would be interested in Capela, so that may have been the deal?

But Udoka wasn't interested in bringing back Harden so deal died I guess.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The deal was for pick 20. Clint was going to Houston 20 was coming to the Hawks and they were gonna take Cam. Houston stayed put

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

It was separate, in fact, Cam being there killed the deal. Capela to Houston. In fact, we were in it again but they preferred Adams this year

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

The deal was for pick 20. Clint was going to Houston 20 was coming to the Hawks and they were gonna take Cam. Houston stayed put

The Hawks could have wanted Cam but Houston wanted him. It was just for 20. The player I was told Atlanta wanted was Gueye at 20 as well. So it's fair to say, Gueye was and still is sky high on their board

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1