• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question of the Day 1-28

Diesel

• Premium Member

If we were to give Quin everything he wants (player wise)  do you think he can win a championship here in Atlanta? 

• Players must fit under the present salary structure. 
  • You don't have to propose a way to trade for them. 
  • No superteam - even if it fits... No Jokic, Curry, etc.

Do you think he can win a championship with his philosophy?

What do you think the team would look like?

I believe that, regardless of the coach, the success of any team depends on the skill of the players.  Everyone knows that a big part of any players makeup is desire.  However, if the natural ability to perform is not there, no matter how much you want to, it ain't happening.  If Quin has the players with the size and talent that he wants and they are willing to listen and learn, he can be successful.  Players must fit together, complement each other, for any team to be a success.

:smug:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Premium Member

When you say "He can be successful, do you mean that he will win a championship?"

We Atlanta Fans sometimes have low standards for Successful.  Our losing nature makes 58 wins feel successful.   But I want to put a whole cap on successful.. that cap is Championship.   So does Quin Successful = Championship?

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Diesel said:

When you say "He can be successful, do you mean that he will win a championship?"

We Atlanta Fans sometimes have low standards for Successful.  Our losing nature makes 58 wins feel successful.   But I want to put a whole cap on successful.. that cap is Championship.   So does Quin Successful = Championship?

I think success is defined relative to the strength of the roster.  One of Doc Rivers best seasons, imo, was going .500 his first season in Orlando with a talent deprived team.  He really got them bought in and maximized their record.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
56 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Last 5 Champion coaches

Mike Malone

Steve Kerr

Mike Budenholzer - fired

Frank Vogel - fired

Nick Nurse - fired

Players win championships.  It doesn't take the best coach the league to do it.  It takes good coaches.  

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I think success is defined relative to the strength of the roster.  One of Doc Rivers best seasons, imo, was going .500 his first season in Orlando with a talent deprived team.  He really got them bought in and maximized their record.

I don't disagree.. but remember, the premise is that Quin has every player that he wants.   Can he win a championship.   So if we could within reason give him a team that he desires.. no undersireable...nonQuin players...  Does he win a chip?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

Last 5 Champion coaches

Mike Malone

Steve Kerr

Mike Budenholzer - fired

Frank Vogel - fired

Nick Nurse - fired

Players win championships.  It doesn't take the best coach the league to do it.  It takes good coaches.  

Last 5 Champion coaches

Mike Malone

Steve Kerr

Mike Budenholzer - fired  .... His replacement Fired after 4 months.

Frank Vogel - fired ...  With Lebron it's either his way or the highway.. Ask David Blatt.

Nick Nurse - fired  ...  That great team.. Dismantled within 4 months

If the players were so great why couldn't they sniff a chip without the coach?  You can't just pull up the blanket statement without looking at the whole story.   Bud did nothing wrong except expose Giannis in the playoffs.   He didn't want Giannis guarding Jimmy because he believed that Jimmy would eat him up and foul him out. 

Lebron has to have controls at all times.  He uses coaches like puppets.  As soon as the coach believes that he can make a move without Lebron's approval.. that coach is gone.  When you lose your star Center to a hangnail and have a bad season.. you have to get fired.

Nurses Toronto was dismantled within 4 months of his firing.  Why because they were supposed to be dismantled.   Nurse was not the problem.  The problem was FVV and Siakam each taking turns trying to be the man.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Diesel said:

Last 5 Champion coaches

Mike Malone

Steve Kerr

Mike Budenholzer - fired  .... His replacement Fired after 4 months.

Frank Vogel - fired ...  With Lebron it's either his way or the highway.. Ask David Blatt.

Nick Nurse - fired  ...  That great team.. Dismantled within 4 months

If the players were so great why couldn't they sniff a chip without the coach?  You can't just pull up the blanket statement without looking at the whole story.   Bud did nothing wrong except expose Giannis in the playoffs.   He didn't want Giannis guarding Jimmy because he believed that Jimmy would eat him up and foul him out. 

Lebron has to have controls at all times.  He uses coaches like puppets.  As soon as the coach believes that he can make a move without Lebron's approval.. that coach is gone.  When you lose your star Center to a hangnail and have a bad season.. you have to get fired.

Nurses Toronto was dismantled within 4 months of his firing.  Why because they were supposed to be dismantled.   Nurse was not the problem.  The problem was FVV and Siakam each taking turns trying to be the man.

My point is you seem to want to make a statement right now of whether Quin can win a championship and we're a team that can barely make the playoffs.  Quin could have one a championship with any of those teams.  None of those coaches were the secret to those teams winning it. 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

My point is you seem to want to make a statement right now of whether Quin can win a championship and we're a team that can barely make the playoffs.  Quin could have one a championship with any of those teams.  None of those coaches were the secret to those teams winning it. 

Actually, my quest is bigger than that.

My question... in case you missed it... is If Quin had all the players that he desired (we will call them Quin guys)... if Quin had all Quin guys.. Do you believe that he could win a chip?

This is different than Can Quin win a chip with the Hawks as constructed.

This is if he had his ideal situation, does his style of coaching and or coaching philosophy lead to championship.

Because if you can answer that question NO.. then we don't need to dismantle this team for Quin guys.   If it equals yes, then we need to look for Quin guys.  
It's that simple @macdaddy.

But too many people want to hem and haw on the question because deep in their heart... in the places that they don't want anybody to know about.. they are scared to admit that Quin couldn't win a chip if he had his guys.   Please tell me different.

• Moderators

I think if you put Quin in charge of Golden State instead of Kerr during their heyday that he would have rings right now.  So I think he could win a championship with the right roster.  (Most coaches could win with something like the Kobe / Shaq Lakers).  I think of someone like Tyrone Lue who I don't think is anything amazing at coaching and the fact that he won his first year as a head coach.  I don't think that was because he brought anything amazing so much as he had players good enough to win it all.  Snyder could do the same.

Jury is out for me on how much of an asset or impediment Snyder would be on a team that is a contender but not a dominant force.   

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Diesel said:

Actually, my quest is bigger than that.

My question... in case you missed it... is If Quin had all the players that he desired (we will call them Quin guys)... if Quin had all Quin guys.. Do you believe that he could win a chip?

This is different than Can Quin win a chip with the Hawks as constructed.

This is if he had his ideal situation, does his style of coaching and or coaching philosophy lead to championship.

Because if you can answer that question NO.. then we don't need to dismantle this team for Quin guys.   If it equals yes, then we need to look for Quin guys.  
It's that simple @macdaddy.

But too many people want to hem and haw on the question because deep in their heart... in the places that they don't want anybody to know about.. they are scared to admit that Quin couldn't win a chip if he had his guys.   Please tell me different.

Absolutely.  If he could have the players he wants of course he could win it.  Most coaches could.  I'm not seeing the point of this question. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, AHF said:

I think if you put Quin in charge of Golden State instead of Kerr during their heyday that he would have rings right now.  So I think he could win a championship with the right roster.  (Most coaches could win with something like the Kobe / Shaq Lakers).  I think of someone like Tyrone Lue who I don't think is anything amazing at coaching and the fact that he won his first year as a head coach.  I don't think that was because he brought anything amazing so much as he had players good enough to win it all.  Snyder could do the same.

Jury is out for me on how much of an asset or impediment Snyder would be on a team that is a contender but not a dominant force.   

I don't prescribe to a situation where the team should just win because they have good players.. I do think the coach is necessary.   But I will admit that some coaches have an easier road than others.   That being said... Sometimes a coach cannot get out of their own way.   Do you think Mark Jackson would have won a chip with those same GS Warriors?   Why didn't Lebron's first Heat team win the chip?  Im not going to talk bad about Tyron Lue because look at what he's doing in LAC!  

Now.. if Quin had Quin Guys, I don't know.   D. Mitchell is a top 15 player in the league.   Gobert is the most dominating defensive force that we have seen since Dikembe.  Yet.  Quin couldn't get them past the 2nd round.  The question becomes, what were they missing?  Seems like they were all Quin guys.