• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

From a FT point generation perspective alone.  Edey draws so many fouls, he's averaging almost 10 free throws a game. He's double/triple teamed most games and still shoots 62%.  By just dumping the ball down to Edey, teams have to pick a poison. If they let him be single covered in the post, he'll convert 80% of the time (1.6 point/possession). If they drop a guard to double, you're giving Trae/DJM/Bogie or Matthews a wide open 3.  How in the holy hell is that worse than OO?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think the dumbest comment I've heard thus far was the comparison to Tacko Fall.

Fall senior year - 11.1/7.6  (AAC)

Edey senior year - 24.5/12.1  (Big 10)

They are not remotely the same player. Both are tall and that is where the similarities end.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Okay now this is just silly. Edey is by far the better offensive player. In the NBA, where the 3 point line gives centers more room to operate, he becomes an even better post up threat. None, absolutely none of our current centers save Bruno can be counted on to get a bucket back to the basket. Its flip a coin in a post.

Edey is a better lob threat, a better offensive rebounder, better post up player and would immediately be our best screen setter. OO better than Edey offensively is ridiculous. I do not care if he's been hitting 3's at a 33% clip. That does not make him a better offensive player.

Who cares about posting up?   It’s obsolete.  It’s far more important for the big to be able to shoot from the perimeter.  

Everything you stated above is opinion and conjecture.  Posting up is not obsolete. It happens every game still, 10-15 times per game. 2 points is 2 points.

There are roughly 100 offensive possessions per game with team scoring roughly 115-120 ppg. That's 1.2 points per possession. Edey is a beast in post ups, lobs and put backs. Between his fg% in the post and and1's, his efficiency is closer to 1.5 points per possession or equivalent to a 50% 3 point shooter. Being a threat in the post frees up 3 point shooting (see Dwight Howard prime in Orlando). I really don't understand how you aren't seeing this. He is so impactful, his Purdue team probably wouldn't have even made the tourney without him. He is literally the difference been an NIT bid and a 1 seed in the field of 64.

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Not to mention how slow paced you will have to be to accommodate how slow a Edey is.  

The Hawks NEED to slow down. They are at their best when they aren't top 10 in pace.  They get killed when they try to run a track meet on the court. 

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Quin Snyder has also never been a post up heavy coach.  The Jazz were always at the bottom of the league in post ups.  

Coach Quin been on record for saying he doesn't mind mid range shots or post ups as long as you are really good at it. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, thecampster said:

If we've done anything in this thread, we're going to push a lot of Squawkers to watch Purdue v Gonzaga tonight at @7:30 to take a real time look at Edey.

That should be a really good game.  I’m excited to watch it and the variety and strength of opinions on this thread do make it more interesting still.  

I don’t disagree that you take the most impactful player on the board unless they are almost certain to be there with your next pick.  That said, I would feel a lot better about taking Edey with the Sacramento pick if we are going to do it just because I feel like there will be some intriguing options at 10 that won’t be there under any circumstances closer to 20.  Edey seems like the hardest player to predict in terms of draft slot that I can remember in some time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AHF said:

That should be a really good game.  I’m excited to watch it and the variety and strength of opinions on this thread do make it more interesting still.  

I don’t disagree that you take the most impactful player on the board unless they are almost certain to be there with your next pick.  That said, I would feel a lot better about taking Edey with the Sacramento pick if we are going to do it just because I feel like there will be some intriguing options at 10 that won’t be there under any circumstances closer to 20.  Edey seems like the hardest player to predict in terms of draft slot that I can remember in some time.

We'll lets be fair here too, there is bound to be the potential to package a pick + piece to move up from 18(ish) or the potential to pick something up and move down from 10.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, AHF said:

He's been appearing in the lottery on DX and Ringer

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/39788382/2024-nba-mock-draft-how-top-prospects-fared-ncaa-tournament

If he's gone, that would be a massive disaster for us. Let's not pass on an impact player because we think we can get him later. That's how we f***ed up, Giannis. 

If we are the ceiling at 10 for Edey, I am perfectly fine with that. 

With Clingan gone, you don't have an alternative. It's Edey or bust at this point. 

Edited by NBASupes

• Premium Member
40 minutes ago, AHF said:

Yea, he's been mocked anywhere from the teens to the second round.

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, AHF said:

hopefully it's a good game.  Purdue didn't have much trouble with them when they played a few months ago.

5 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yea, he's been mocked anywhere from the teens to the second round.

All that matters is what NBA teams see him at. If they see him as a lottery guy, then that's what he is. If we are his ceiling, let's get it done. 

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

All that matters is what NBA teams see him at. If they see him as a lottery guy, then that's what he is. If we are his ceiling, let's get it done. 

I'm all for Edey. He fills an enormous need for us which is a legit backup center with size. I have no doubt he can be a contributing + player in that role. If he becomes anything more than that is a cherry on top. 

• Like 2

It continues to amaze me at those who want to use a premium pick, likely our last one for a while, on a guy whose ceiling is a situational backup in the NBA.  I shouldn’t be surprised though.  Things the same fan base that openly pined to replace Al Horford with any 7- footer that could walk and chew gum at the same time.