• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zach Edey Conundrum - Could Edey be the next great Atlanta Hawk or is he the next Cam Reddish

NBASupes

Posted (edited)

Tennessee is a really tough and are an excellent team but Purdue shooting been awful from the foul line and the 3pt line. Their half court defense has been elite but they haven't been good today. They just need to get the ball to Edey and make open 3s. 

Edited by NBASupes

9 minutes ago, KB21 said:

All were better athletes who have better mechanics.  

I get that's your opinion but the facts are facts. There are plenty of examples of bigs that never shot the 3 in college that develop a shot in the NBA. And FT shooting is a pretty good indicator of that potential.

I know you don't like him and that's fine. I'm just saying you don't know that he can't shoot from range. All we know for sure is he hasn't. 

• Thanks 1

All this hype for a bench player in the NBA.  Edy can't play in space, can't shoot further than 5 feet from the basket.  You go straight at him on offense because he is more of a help blocker on defense.  The refs are helping him look like a allstar in college by letting him throw players around in the paint without calling fouls on him, letting him go over the back of players without calling fouls on him, but you can't touch HIM and its free throws.  I've never seen anything like this.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b95223gj7mxha5xok1gmdss

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I’m by no means a scout like some of yall, but I can definitely see him working with a guy like Trae. If we didn’t have Trae I’d be more skeptical. We also have guys like JJ and DJM who can make plays.

Plus, I think it’s a huge position of need for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

All Edey has done today is completely shut down the paint, score his career high and make the MVP play on the block of Knecht. 

Still not an Edy fan on the NBA level, but he 100% shut down the lane today on defense and flat out controlled it on his offensive end.

29 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I’m by no means a scout like some of yall, but I can definitely see him working with a guy like Trae. If we didn’t have Trae I’d be more skeptical. We also have guys like JJ and DJM who can make plays.

Plus, I think it’s a huge position of need for us. 

Why is it a position of need?   Oh.  I forgot the typical Hawks fan myth that you aren’t a center unless you are 7-foot tall.  We have OO and Bruno at center.  We have one small forward on the team.  

Edited by KB21
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Why is it a position of need?   Oh.  I forgot the typical Hawks fan myth that you aren’t a center unless you are 7-foot tall.  We have OO and Bruno at center.  We have one small forward on the team.  

It isn’t a myth that 7’ makes you a center, but you can’t teach size. There is one person that rants about that each year, it isn’t this entire fan base. Bruno is a good bench piece and OO has also had a lot of health issues. I wish we could have seen him get more time when CC went down. I don’t think Edey would be a day one starter, but I think we have the personnel to tap into his NBA success.

1 minute ago, cam1218 said:

It isn’t a myth that 7’ makes you a center, but you can’t teach size. There is one person that rants about that each year, it isn’t this entire fan base. Bruno is a good bench piece and OO has also had a lot of health issues. I wish we could have seen him get more time when CC went down. I don’t think Edey would be a day one starter, but I think we have the personnel to tap into his NBA success.

We would be absolutely atrocious defensively and very limited offensively.  We would at least have that 7-footer even though he doesn’t fit the modern game.  

• Premium Member

I think one thing getting lost in this is that some people think he would be a good fit. Once we get closer to draft day we will learn more. It’s not like we are picking first in the draft. I like him for this team, not saying there aren’t other options. This thread is about him, and I agree that he’d succeed with our team.

• Thanks 1