• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Darko Must Be Acquired For Rasheed

archie44

Hello Hawkers.

Well I love what we're doing here. Scrap it. Forget it. This machine was broken. Time to get new parts.

I understand the desire for more draft picks, and I think that will be taken care of in the next few days.

But WE'VE GOT CAP ROOM!!!!!!!!!!! Holy crap have we got cap room.

I'm starting to think these Rasheed rumors are out there for a reason. Maybe ole' Billy is talking about moving him again. The teams who really need him couldn't deal with the Blazers, since they needed real parts and not just cap space or picks. But we were happy to give up "star" players in return for his future cap room.

But if we trade Rasheed to the Detroit Pistons, we MUST get Darko Milicik. Forget getting the cap room and a lousy draft pick. Get cap room and a young terrific prospect. Darko is the man. We have the chance to groom him slowly and hopefully could become the player many believe he can be. Why do the Pistons care about him? He's not playing. Larry Brown is the coach of this team. Since when does he give a damn about the future? He loves Rasheed.

There is no point to do the Detroit deal if Marko is not involved. Who knows? He might suck. But how great would it to get the #2 pick in the draft from a year ago and allow him to develop slowly? He won't have to worry about us winning for a while.

Darko, a high draft pick, and cap room out the wazoo is a perfect formula for a great future. Plus, this human corpse we have as a coach will be out of here soon and we'll get one hell of a coach. Oh the names that are being floated!

So keep the faith Hawkers. We're moving on up!

But let's get DARKO. Come on BK.

This is a deal that we can make today that would strictly be between us and Detroit and I think it could have a very realistic chance of happening.

Wallace/Doleac to Detroit

Milicic/Atkins/Rebraca/Sura to Atlanta

Now what this does for us is it gives us 2 expiring contracts in Sura and Rebraca and only 2 years of Atkins, who is a solid backup PG. It also gives us the enormous potential of Milicic plus almost guarantees that we dont win more than a few games from here on out. Add Howard through the draft next year and then go for Kobe or QRich as our main FA pickup and then sign some experienced vets to short contracts.

Next year we are:

JT/Atkins

Kobe or QRich/Jax??/Hansen

Diaw/Person??/CC

Milicic/Hendu

Howard/Pryzbilla

I would play with that young lineup and see what we can do with it. First we go after Kobe, if not him then QRich. Surely we can get one of those two. I would definitely try and resign Person to a friendly deal and save as much money as I can for 2005. That squad next year probably wont make the playoffs so we get a mid lotto pick plus a good bit more caproom in 2005 to finish this roster off. Howard will have a rookie of the year season under his belt and Milicic will have 1.5 seasons of playing time with us getting big minutes. In 2005 we lose Pryz, Hendu, CC, and Atkins off our books leaving us with only:

JT

Diaw

Kobe or QRich

Howard

Milicic

2004 lotto pick

as the only guys for sure under contract with us. I figure that still leaves us with close to 20 million to spend in 2005.

I don't think Wallace and Doleac can be lumped together.

However, the idea behind the deal is excellent. It gives the Hawks a young prospect who is getting no playing time with the Pistons yet is a legitimate 7 footer with potential and a high skill level that can play the 4 and 5 positions. Remember, versatility is a key ingredient to players Billy Knight likes.

You're not going to get Darko, bottom line. I'm a Pistons fan and I'm getting upset with this whole "Darko is going to get 10 minutes a night" and then get another DNP last night. And even though Larry Brown may or may not called him puke or vomit or whatever...It's up to Joe Dumars and Joe isn't going to make a move.

Darko is 18, he should be a high school senior, he's that young. There's no way that Joe is going to give up Darko for a few months rental of Rasheed Wallace. No way. I think there are three untouchable players on the Pistons and they are Ben, Chauncey and Darko.

Every package I hear going to you guys is:

Milwaukee 1st/Rebraca/Hunter/Corliss or Atkins

For

Sheed

That's it. You'll get a 1st rounder that is top 15 protected this year and lottery protected until the like 2007. It's not a bad deal, to free up more cap room. Who knows? You guys could concievably steal Memo from us this summer...and that's a guy that I never hear anything about on this board. He's a guy that can shoot, handle, run, and post up...and a guy that hasn't even begun to reach his potential.

Oh...and if you want...you can HAVE Rip Hamilton for free. For free, we'll just give him to you. Here's a guy that does nothing but score...and he hasn't even done that lately!

"You'll get a 1st rounder that is top 15 protected this year and lottery protected until the like 2007. It's not a bad deal, to free up more cap room. "

I don't see this helping the Hawks. We currently hace all of Rasheed's salary as cap room. How does taking on the 5.5M salary next year of Corliss give us cap room. By my count it is like trading 5.5M of cap room for a 1st round pick in 2007. That is after our rebuilding plan should be complete.

Just don't see Atlanta doing it.

I agree. All of this is even more unlikely than signing Kobe. The pistons knew what they were getting with their 2 pick. They knew they weren't playing him this year. So why would they all of the sudden trade their future for a player rental for 3 months??

I would also love to get Darko, but we have little to no chance

Atlanta trades: SF Rasheed Wallace (17.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.5 apg in 37.2 minutes)

Atlanta receives: SG Bob Sura (3.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 13.4 minutes)

C Zeljko Rebracca (3.1 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.6 minutes)

PF Darko Milicic (1.0 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 3.4 minutes)

PG Lindsey Hunter (3.7 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 16.0 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -5.6 ppg, -0.6 rpg, and +1.0 apg.

Detroit trades: SG Bob Sura (3.6 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.6 apg in 13.4 minutes)

C Zeljko Rebracca (3.1 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.6 minutes)

PF Darko Milicic (1.0 ppg, 0.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 3.4 minutes)

PG Lindsey Hunter (3.7 ppg, 1.0 rpg, 1.5 apg in 16.0 minutes)

Detroit receives: SF Rasheed Wallace (17.0 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 2.5 apg in 45 games)

Change in team outlook: +5.6 ppg, +0.6 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Atlanta and Detroit being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Atlanta and Detroit had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 1521668

If Detroit wants him bad enough, and Larry Brown seems to want him pretty bad, then he'll give us Darko!

The Pistons have lost 6 in a row. They are getting desperate.

Without Darko involved, a Sheed to Detroit trade makes no sense for Atlanta.

They don't have enough expiring contracts to match Seed so we'd have to take back either Corliss or Chucky and their bad deals as well as a late 1st rounder and the guaranteed deal that goes with it. So we'd be hurting our own capspace in order to help a division rival not only get better this year, but also shed salary to resign their own free agent center.

You guys, just because RealGM says a trade works, doesn't mean it's a good trade. I could trade Corliss Williamson, Atkins, and like Rebraca for Kobe - because salaries match. Just because salaries match, doesn't mean it's a good deal. Sometimes on this board, you guys overvalue your players a bit (SAR/CC for Brent Barry and Rashard Lewis??? TERRIBLE trade).

It doesn't take Joe Dumars into account. Larry Brown isn't calling the shots for the Pistons, Dumars is...and Dumars knows that he has a project on his hands in Darko. That's why they signed him to a 4 year deal, so he'll be around at 22 and have plenty of time to develop.

I know the pick isn't going to help, I was just saying that it's the most you're going to get out of Detroit in the way of a young player that you can use.

HAHA...

Like we really going to get the number two pick in last year's draft for Rasheed. I mean come on you think Detroit will trade the guy they took over Carmelo? That would be admitting they made a mistake. If anything Darko is just being brought along slowly until they know he can step on the floor and play mistake-free basketball.

I love you guys since we all Hawks fans but please come back to reality.

Darko...hahahahahaha

Yeah laugh all you want, Piston fan lurkers, but no Darko, no Sheed. No way we trade Sheed for a bad contract and we aren't even interested in your first rounders unless they are from another team, they will be too low. Forget Sheed if you want to keep Darko. Knight is as shrewd as Dumars. Look at the Grizz today. 9 games over .500. Knight built the core of that team. Not West, Knight did. So you think he will trade Sheed for a bad contract ? Not in your life.

The onyl way to get Darko would be to give Detroit more than Rashweed - which means cap space.

So, Rasheed+? for Darko+bad contracts(meaning atkins and ? possibly rip?).

I think it would be worth it for ATL - it insures that we don't get big cap relief for 2 years but there will still be room for a couple of decent FAs to add to the high draft picks.

Detroit could do this because it gives them a better shot at a title this year - especially if they can make another deal with any expiring contacts we give them.

Seriously, would Det part with Darko for Sheed? I know Darko doesnt play but would they really trade him? Also can someone clue me in about Darko? Why doesnt he play? I know he is young but whats the story with him not playing? Is it b/c Brown doesnt like him or is there more to it?

The plan in Detroit is to sit Darko for the year and let this team play it out. He's not ready yet, that's the bottom line. I've seen him play in person and while he's skilled, he has no clue on offense and came into came severely out of shape. He's not ready for the NBA mentally and ESPECIALLY physically right now. He's still an awkward teenager when it comes down to it. That's why they'll stick with him.

Pathway: It looks like Atlanta is going to do what Denver did and tank the rest of this season and next season to rebuild. That means Darko is out of the mix, but they might be willing to take on expiring contracts to either a. sign one big player or b. sign a bunch of marginal guys to one year deals, see if they develop and if not...they're gone the next year with another high pick to build around. So Darko doesn't have to be included into the mix for this to be a good deal for the franchise. I know it seems like you would have given SAR & Ratliff up for free, but all in all, this is what Denver did and Kiki rebuilt them in no time at all.

Quote:

Pathway: It looks like Atlanta is going to do what Denver did and tank the rest of this season and next season to rebuild. That means Darko is out of the mix,

I don't understand this at all. I understand why Detroit would want to keep Darko, but are you saying that Atlanta wouldn't want him because they are rebuilding? Please explain?

Quote:

...but they might be willing to take on expiring contracts to either a. sign one big player or b. sign a bunch of marginal guys to one year deals, see if they develop and if not...they're gone the next year with another high pick to build around.

Not if they're stuck with Corliss or Atkins. Hawks already have expiring contracts. Your trade gives the Hawks less cap space. Knight would be pretty stupid to take role players signed to long term contracts just to get a mid to late 1st rounder. If Darko is untouchable, fine. But that's about the only thing in Detroit that makes sense for Atlanta.

• Moderators

Quote:

HAHA...

Like we really going to get the number two pick in last year's draft for Rasheed. I mean come on you think Detroit will trade the guy they took over Carmelo? That would be admitting they made a mistake. If anything Darko is just being brought along slowly until they know he can step on the floor and play mistake-free basketball.

I love you guys since we all Hawks fans but please come back to reality.

Darko...hahahahahaha

I have to agree with the Pistons fans and Hawks fans who don't think Detroit will trade Darko. If Wallace left after this season, Dumars would be in much more trouble than if they continued their losing streak this season. Dumars took Darko over Carmelo because he believes he will be the better long term prospect. He is taking flack for it now but if someone drafted Jermaine ONeal second in the draft they would have taken a lot of criticism until he was one of the best players in the game like he is now.

Darko is basically untouchable unless Detroit is willing to label him a total bust while he is still the youngest player in league history (remember, Stern had to move the birthday deadline for draft eligiblity to allow him to enter the draft last season).