• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel's Hope for the Draft....

Diesel

• Premium Member

If we don't win the lottery (which I cannot see why not)... I say:

6th Pick.. Josh Smith. We need the athletic awesomely talented SF. He's the man and may be the best in the draft.

17th pick. Al Jefferson or Kris Humphries...

We need a PF type. I like both of these young kids. I must say that I like Humphries better but having Big Al Jefferson wouldn't be so bad.

At this point, I would trade Boston 43/35 for #25. I think that Boston is not willing to sign three players to 4 year deals..

25th pick... Sasha Vujacic

If I knew that I could get Humphries or Jefferson later, I would try for Vujacic earlier... However, this would work, if not, maybe Duhon.

38th pick...Romain Sato.

I like this guy, I would like to see him compete with Hansen for that contract....

So this is what the team could be:

Pryz/Rebraecca

Jefferson(Humphries)/CC/Hendu

Josh Smith/Diaw

Jax/Sura/Sato

JT/Vujacic

The question is would Jefferson or Humphries be ready to be PF this early. I hope so....

at the 6th spot, i too would love Josh Smith.

the last time we had a 6th pick, it didnt work out too well with DJohnson... hopefully this time, itll be different.

17th pick- Jameer Nelson if hes available... wat u guys think?

25th pick- the best available talent regardless of position. someone who is NBA-READY and ready to come in and contribute. im lookin for the new Carlos Boozer...

38th pick- Romain Sato... the dude sounds like a HANSEN-CLONE, but im all for it... let to 2 compete for the last SG spot.

The only thing I can go by is the nbadraft.net mock so this is probably way off. According to them, we could get Kirk Snyder and Duhon in the 2nd. Trade our last 2nd rounder for a future one b/c we really don't need 5 rookies. (Unless it is a foreigner who isn't coming over yet-- Luka Bogdanovic) At #6, the list I consider is Howard, Okafor, Smith, Biedrins, Childress, Livingston, Deng and Iguodala. The best one of those still available. We aren't a great team anywhere so we shouldn't pick by position. I must say that I like Iguodala, maybe just not that early. At #17, Ha Seung-Jin, Tiago Splitter, Peter Ramos, Jameer Nelson (If we don't pick up Duhon)....

Let's say Josh Smith, Peter Ramos, Kirk Snyder and Chris Duhon (Move JT somewhere) Look at resigning Bob Sura and Jason Collier.

Duhon/

Sura/Snyder

Diaw/Smith

Collier/CC

Ramos

IL:Hendu

That team right there sucks big time but, as we all know, we have to persuade free-agents to come here. Is it by hiring a big name coach? (Scott?) I hope Denver lets Jeff Bzdelik go.

I like those plans. And I agree of trying to persue Boston into trading that 25th pick for 2 of our 2nd rounders. Since we have the funds to sign 3 1st rounders it will be a great move for us.

I also like the picks of Jefferson or Humphries, although if Splitter is around at the pick I will take him over any of those 2. Just hopefully he is around. Vujajic will be a great pick at 25 as well.

But is the reason you will take Jefferson and Humphries over Splitter is because those 2 guys can bang inside, if that is the reason then yes go with either or. Will be a big decision if all 3 are available.

Good plan Diesel.

• Premium Member

Jefferson... I like what I have seen and also what I have heard about his moves around the basket. He's definitely no Dwight Howard. In fact, Howard looked 10 times better when they played in the same games. However, at that pick, I think he'd be good.

I like Humphries for the reasons you said. Humphries is a banger. A runner. And about one of the quietest Secrets in the draft. He has worked out with Wally S. and Wally says that Humphries would be a top PF in the league today. Not only that, when he played this year, I caught a few games. I thought he was going pro last year but I think college did him some good. Minn. didn't run through him like Danny Manning at Kansas but his presence was there. For us, I think we can have an offense centered around cutting Sf/SGs and transition... I think that we really need a rebounder at Pf/C and a runner would be exactly what we need at Pf.

I looked at Spitter. These are the things I like about him. He's from Brazil. Brazillian teams usually play more Physical than euroteams. (NeNe for example). He has real good size. However, I don't think that Spitter would be right for us. I think he needs a team where he can sit the bench for a couple of years and play in transition a lot when he gets in. Denver would be an awesome place for him to go and he's probably going there. Simply because he can split time with Camby at the 4, and he runs transition a lot and won't be asked to do a lot of rebounding. We need somebody who can pull down about 10 boards because for as Athletic as Smith will be, I don't know if he will break 5 rpg and that will factor because we will be a running team.

I agree....if we can sneek away with Josh Smith at 6, it would be a steal. I am kinda hoping he gets some kind of bad rap or something by the scouts to drop his stock to No. 6.

At 17 I am picking up the high school Guard from New York City (Telfair sp??). NBADraft.net has exactly the picks I would want Atlanta to pick, even though I don't trust their judgments or predictions. I really think Josh Smith is going No. 3 or 4.

Telfair would bring a little marketing to the Atlanta Hawks. He is a young Iverson type with extreme quickness and handles and he is hyped a lot because he is a NY kid.

Your thoughts?

I think Josh Smith is a player the Hawks will strongly consider at this point, and I also think they will consider Andris Biedrins with that 6th pick. I say the 6th pick, because that is what we hold at this time.

I do not think Al Jefferson will slide to 19. Kris Humphries might be there, but he's not the type of player we are looking for. He can play for us offensively, but Billy Knight is looking for a player that brings his offensive game with the athleticism and length to make an impact on both ends of the floor.

I do not see Josh Smith going that high, but I do see him as a player that could become the best of the bunch 3 years from now.

Right now, you know that Chicago and Washington are not going to take high school players. Chicago will trade Dwight Howard before they draft him at #2 for themselves, and Washington is a team that has been burned by taking Kwame Brown.

I see the top 5 players going off the board like this, if the order stays the same as the records:

1. Magic -- Emeka Okafor PF Connecticut

This is the impact post presence they are looking for.

2. Bulls -- Dwight Howard PF SACA

The Bulls will not be making this pick. Howard will be this pick, but he will not be for the Bulls.

3. Wizards -- Luol Deng SF Duke

I think he's a lock for the #3 pick, especially if Washington gets it.

4. Bobcats -- Shaun Livingston PG Peoria Central

That the Bobcats want Livingston is the worst kept secret in basketball at the moment.

5. Clippers -- Devin Harris PG Wisconsin

There really isn't much question that the Clippers will be going for a point guard that can help them immediately with this pick.

6. Atlanta -- Josh Smith SF Oak Hill Academy

Probably the best athlete in the draft and a home grown talent that played his first few years at McEachern.

If we do land between 3rd & 6th these are the players that I would most want us to take...

1. Smith - I would really hate to pass up a kid that really has the potential to Kobe or Carter-esque. I love how Jackson is growing and all, but Smith is going to be a WHOLE lot cheaper. This may also save us from NEEDing to get Kobe or Tracy, although... JT/McGrady/Smith... hm?

2. Livingston - He would be an automatic fit. Sure, he's not a PF or C, but he can rotate with Diaw (who would also rotate with Jackson) and Sura (who would rotate with JT). This would be a very quick and diverse back court.

3. Howard - If he drops, which I sort of hope he doesn't. I don't trust the transition from HS for bigger players.

Excellent point about Chicago. I think they have a real bad taste in their mouth surrounding drafting High School players. If we don't get better than 6 maybe we can set up a trade with them.

I hope Billy Knight can pull something like that!!!

Here is my picks, before reading the rest of the post:

If we are stuck with the 6th pick:

6th pick: Josh Smith, Andris Biedrins, trade up to aquire Dwight Howard.

17th pick: Pavel Podkolzine, Tiago Splitter, Al Jefferson, Robert Swift, Sasha Vujacic, JR Smith, Peter John Ramos!!!(most likely wont be around by this time), and Roko-Leni Ukic

35th pick: Ha Seung-Jin, Luka Bogdanovic(outstanding talent)

38th pick: Romain Sato(may go higher)

Everytime I see post of proposed picks a lot of you guys throw out a lot of European and foreign names. Do you all know something I don't know because I will be honest with you...I don't really know anything about these guys because I don't see them on our sports media.

How do you guys get any exposure to any of these guys? If so is it enough to make an educated prediction of what he will translate in the NBA? Have you seen any of them play (more than one game)?

Some of you have more foreign names than American names in your proposed picks.

Just curious...I thought I may be missing out on some type of media that you guys are receiving?? Do I need to call DTV and get some more stations? Some of you are throwing these foreign names out with confidence.

most people read a profile or two on nbadraft.net and draftcity and then act like they really know these players. There are euro games on NBAtv, not that I have it. I didn't get league pass cause I was pissed that Comcast didn't have NBAtv. Of course they've added it since, leaving me in the wind...

Quote:

most people read a profile or two on nbadraft.net and draftcity and then act like they really know these players. There are euro games on NBAtv, not that I have it. I didn't get league pass cause I was pissed that Comcast didn't have NBAtv. Of course they've added it since, leaving me in the wind...

I mentioned Pavel, because if he is out there with the 17th pick we must consider him. I know there are bad things going around about him right now, but alot of the questions will be answered before draft time. Pavel has alot of ups and downs, but the positive sides out weight the negative sides, atleast I think.

Like I said if he even falls to the 17th pick.

I know alot of people just guess about players, and don't do to much research. They rely on two websites, and don't try to find things out for there selfs. I on the other hand have done some reserach about the players I listed, and wouldn't of listed them at the picks I did if I knew they would become bust. There are a good bit of overseas players I just don't have a clue about, but majority of the ones listed in nbadraft.net, and so fourth I do have a understanding on.

I hope everyone else does a bit of research on a player, before they post how the Hawks should draft them.

Exactly Lascar!!!

Have you seen those players play. I really don't like judging talent based on someone elses opinion unless I know that person or trust that persons judgement. If we only have 2 forms of bio info (nbadraft.net and draftcity) of a player and we don't know who is making these evaluations then how can we trust what they are saying about these foreign players??

Is that enough to make a decision on whether we need that player and specifically where that person should be drafted??? I don't want the Carmelo Anthony vs. Milicic draft pick mistake to happen to Atlanta.

Personally I don't think so......

I believe the Hawks should only consider established starters if drafting a Euro player. I prefer known commodities. Many of the Euro players have been drafted even though they did not play major minutes for their Euro teams. I guess because they had size, were young, and would not demand major dollars even on their second contracts.

well don't assume that just because we don't know much about the euros, that the nba scouts don't. The bottom line is that some team have many very talented world scouts while others don't. You just have to trust that they know what they're doing.

Personally I think a team's track record is all we can go on.

Who's the hawks Euro-scout? I know Billy goes over there to scout, but is there someone else with that as their primary responsibility? Who was it that said we should pass on Gasol? Maybe not fair as we got Abdur Rahim, but someone in the organization had to have participated in the decision as for how Gasol had been evaluated.