• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks draft possibilities

KB21

Right now, I think it is very likely that the Hawks will be picking for themselves at the 6th pick and 17th pick. They may try to move up from the 17th pick by using two of their second round picks. I feel that it is more likely that they Hawks will use those two second round picks to move up into the latter stages of the first round to select a player though.

The first two picks are a lock. Dwight Howard and Emeka Okafor will be going to Orlando and Charlotte in some order. Chicago picks next, and they appear to be trying to decide between Luol Deng and Ben Gordon. The Clippers moved down to the 4th pick to take Gordon, but they may be foiled by the Bulls. In that case, they may look to Shaun Livingston with that pick. The Wizards at the 5th pick seem set on taking either Luol Deng or Josh Childress, with Shaun Livingston having an outside chance.

This gets us to the Hawks. These are the players that I feel Atlanta will choose between, if available, in no particular order:

Shaun Livingston, PG, 6'7", Peoria Central - This would be an intriguing pick made solely for the future. Livingston has a high upside as a 6'7" true point guard. He's not physically strong enough to make an impact yet. His strengths are his court vision and his point guard instincts at his size. He does have some weaknesses though. He's an average athlete who is more quick than fast and explosive, and he isn't a particularily good perimeter shooter. My guess is that if he is there, the Hawks will take him. The Hawks have worked him out twice.

Jameer Nelson, PG, 6'0", St. Joseph's - Nelson is the senior college player that everyone wants to knock, but he is probably the most physically and mentally ready point guard in the draft. Nelson has great instincts, leadership ability, and is one of the strongest players in the draft. He reminds me a lot of Tim Hardaway. I think he is high on the Hawks list, as Billy Knight had some good things to say about him. I think he could very well be the pick if Livingston is off the board.

Andre Iguodala, SG, 6'6", Arizona - Iguodala is a great athlete who is a jack of all trades. He can defend, handle the ball, pass the ball, and rebound. He's got great court vision and instincts. The one thing he lacks is scoring ability. He's not aggressive on the offensive end, and he is a below average perimeter shooter. If the Hawks plan to keep Jason Terry in the fold, then Iguodala makes a lot of sense for them. He is an alternate ball handler that can bring the ball up the court at times.

Josh Childress, SG/SF, 6'7", Stanford - Childress is a polished college player who isn't quite the athlete that Iguodala is. He is a better shooter though. Childress has the versatile skills Billy Knight looks for in a player. He's a long armed defender in the Scottie Pippen mold. Childress is just an average athlete though.

Devin Harris, PG, 6'3", Wisconsin - Harris is the most athletic of the point guards that are available. He's got good size for the point guard position, though he does need some time in the gym. He's a good leader who is high on a lot of teams draft boards.

At the 17th pick, chances are, this player will be a high school player. There are some possibilities here:

Josh Smith, SF, 6'8", Oak Hill Academy - Smith is a great athlete who lacks basketball skills at the moment. He's probably the best overall athlete in the draft and is a very explosive two foot jumper. He's got a lot of work to do on his overall game though, but it appears he is a willing worker despite popular opinion. If he's there, I feel the Hawks will take him.

Dorrell Wright, SG, 6'7", South Kent Prep School - Wright is another terrific athlete that can jump out of the gym. The difference between he and Smith is that Wright is a much better perimeter shooter and ball handler than Smith is. He needs some work, just as all high school players need work, but the upside is there. I think he's closer to being a Tracy McGrady type than Smith is. Wright will have worked out for Atlanta twice.

J.R. Smith, SG, 6'7", St. Benedict's Prep - Smith is a great athlete with deadly shooting range, but he had some bad workouts leading up to the Chicago camp. While he didn't play at Chicago, he really helped himself out be measuring in at a shade under 6'7" and testing out well athleticall. He needs to work on his handle and in between game, but he looks like a Vince Carter type of player.

Al Jefferson, PF, 6'10", Prentiss High School - Jefferson was having some good workouts up until he injured his shoulder and bruised some ribs in Seattle. He's a big, post oriented player with a large wingspan. He has very polished offensive moves in the paint and is an explosive leaper.

A player I feel Atlanta may be interesting in getting an extra pick for is Anderson Varejao.

as Livingston. CHI could very well take Deng and LAC may take Livingston. I don't think the Wizards will take Gordon or Livingston with all the guys they currently have in the backcourt. Therefore, I think that there is a VERY good chance Gordon could be there at #6. In facy, if CHI goes with Iguodala at #3 as some have predicted, I'll be shocked if Gordon isn't there at #6.

Yeah. Gordon had a workout with the Clippers over the weekend, and on Monday, they make the deal with the Bobcats.

Right now, they have to be hoping that the Bulls don't spoil their plans, because Chicago is seriously considering Gordon with the 3rd pick.

Lvingston will likely struggle early as a rookie but he has a chance to be special. He already understands the game, he just needs to physically mature enough to be able to compete with grown men. I'd MUCH rather have him at #6 than Josh Smith. I think Josh Smith is already physically ready, he just doesn't have the head or the skills. I feel a lot more confident that Livingston will get stronger than I do that Smith will develop his game.

I'm not worried about Livingston from an athleticism standpoint. He is quicker than Magic Johnson was and his vertical leap is every bit as good. His value will be his size (height), his skills and his uncanny court vision. He has things that you just can't teach.

I do like Gordon a LITTLE more because he is more of a sure thing but Livingston's upside is higher so I would LOVE to grab him at #6. It certainly doesn't hurt that he can play with JT as well.

....draft is this:

Shaun Livingston at 6

Dorrell Wright at 17

Wright has the skills that Smith lacks at this point to go along with supreme athleticism. It's a gamble to attempt to build around two high school kids, but these two 6'7" guards could be the Hawks future back court.

Josh Childress, SG/SF, 6'7", Stanford - Childress is a polished college player who isn't quite the athlete that Iguodala is. He is a better shooter though. Childress has the versatile skills Billy Knight looks for in a player. He's a long armed defender in the Scottie Pippen mold. Childress is just an average athlete though."

I thought he looked VERY impressive in the clips. I think

I seen him play MAYBE once. The question is, is he worth

the 6th pick?

I know you say he's an average athlete..But it looks like

he has SKILLS. That along with decent athletic ability

could be enough. Or maybe he turns out and has a Rip

Hamilton like career.

If we somehow got Linvingston with the 6th...I'd trade almost all of our remaining picks, or possibly one of them with JT, to get Childress.

one proven smart, heady player, with three years of college...to go with the Kid from Peiora (sp). If we managed to retain JT, fine. If not, I'd work on resigning SJax....then we'd be set, more or less, in the backcourt.