• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jason Walker Breaks Down the Hawks Draft

jaywalker72

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=452

Let’s just get right into what was a crazy draft night.

#6: Josh Childress, Stanford

I listed about four names on 680 the Fan during the draft for the Hawks pick, and Childress was not one of them.

Whoops.

In retrospect I really should have listed him even though there was little buzz about Childress until the day of the draft. He had been steadily dropping down the list and seemed to be behind Andre Iguodala and Luol Deng.

I say I should have listed him because Childress fits the description of a Billy Knight player as well as anyone, giving good athleticism along with length, showing an ability to attack the basket as well as pull and shoot a jumper.

Josh also brings a heady approach to the game, showing the Billy Knight is serious about playing better basketball to go along with his uptempo game. Childress needs to put on some pounds, no question, but the Hawks see him as a matchup problem for other teams at the 2.

#17: Josh Smith, Oak Hill Academy

The Guilty Pleasure pick.

Smith is a crowd pleasing pick, no doubt. A kid that displays the level of athleticism that Smith does is going to ooh and ahh the people that come on down to the Hawks game while Josh is wearing Hawks colors.

The biggest knock against Josh is that he lacks things about his game. No alternate hand, no jump shot, etc. When a player like Josh can be successful using his athleticism to score, which Smith did, it’s understandable that other parts of his game wouldn’t be developed. It’s not that Smith can’t be taught or do it after he’s been taught, it’s that he hadn’t had to yet to get the job done.

Besides, what better team to take Smith than the Hawks, who happen to be home team and boasts one of the greatest athletes to play the game, Dominique Wilkins, on the ownership panel. I suspect that whoever is chosen to coach the team, Wilkins will impart a lot of knowledge on the young man anyway.

Jay Bilas of ESPN said that Smith is “most likely to bomb”. I would inject that, at 17, he is more likely to be the biggest steal of the draft.

#34: Donta Smith, Southeastern Illinois CC

At this point people had to be saying, “What?! Another swingman?!!!” Donta Smith is an exceptional athlete and a player whom many thought could go to Sacramento in the 1st round. Smith displays many of the attributes that Knight wanted to stockpile, so he did.

I was pleased the Billy continued to take the best player available instead of picking a position. Smith is another guy who could be a steal where he was selected in that he is still young, being 20 years old. He is a player that can score, score, score, a trait that is needed for the Hawks.

Smith also boasts the coveted seven foot wingspan to help on the defensive end. In short, he’s another long, versatile player that will fit in nicely with this developing team.

#37: Royal Ivey, Texas

Ivey was brought in twice be the Hawks because they like his toughness from the point guard position. He had a good workout in the one that we attended, and was brought in later to match up against Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston, Jameer Nelson, and Devin Harris and he held his own defensively, obviously clinching this pick for the Hawks.

Ivey was clutch as a Longhorn, played in big games, and was efficient with the basketball, spinning a 3 to 1 ratio assists to turnovers. Ivey didn’t score a lot in college, but is quick off the dribble and is very aggressive.

Here is what we said about Ivey after his workout with the Hawks:

Royal Ivey

Ivey showed good polish, footwork, release, and nice offensive versatility in the drills. Ivey covered good ground when dribbling, and finished well around the basket. Ivey may have shown the best long range shot of the group, looking strong from the top of the key three, which might be the truest test of a shooter.

Plus: Decent outside shot, footwork, and release

Minus: No outstanding deficiencies

“I think it went well. It was very intense and we were all really into it. My performance was probably a seven out of ten. My shooting went well, and I think I did well on the one-on-one play. I was intense throughout the whole workout.”

(JW) He was intense and showed energy throughout the workout. He did do well in the one on ones, showing his ability to score inside or outside on his man.

(Other team workouts)

“I have a couple more team workouts coming up. I have Houston, Detroit, Milwaukee and a few other teams. So I will be traveling from here on out.”

(Draft prospects)

“Hopefully, people will take a second look at me and give me a chance. I’m only asking for a chance to come to camp and prove myself. That is really all I can ask for.”

(JW) He’ll get a look over the summer and will likely make it into a camp in the fall, but prospects of playing in the NBA will hinge on his ability to run the point, which didn’t really come up in these drills for him to show.

(On individual game)

“I would compare myself to Eric Snow or Kevin Ollie. They are all about defense first, hitting the open shot, passing the ball and competing hard.”

(JW) Kudos to Royal for not throwing out some unreasonable comparisons. I am sure he wouldn’t mind Ollie’s 5 year, 15 million dollar Cleveland contract just the same. Again, his ability to control a game from the point will have a lot to say about his NBA chances.

Let’s take a look at some questions about this draft from the pundits:

1. Where’s the Beef?

The Hawks are going to be roundly criticized for not taking any big men in the draft. Why? The Hawks took the best player available. Give Knight credit for not reaching for the next Les Jepson or Chris King. The Hawks must not have felt that a player like Pavel Podkolzine was better than Josh Smith. Good for them.

Besides, the draft isn’t the only place to pick up big men. You have to remind yourself that while franchise players are tough to find in the pivot in free agency, good steady players aren’t as uncommon. Jason Collier proved that you can find some good values out there, without having to pass on a player like Donta Smith to do it.

As long as we are talking about big men, remember that the Hawks might make a free agent play for Stromile Swift, whom Billy drafted #2 overall for the Grizzlies.

2. Swingmen! Get your Swingmen Here!

True enough, the Hawks last season took Boris Diaw and Travis Hansen, two swingmen. This year, three more to join the fray in Childress, Josh, and Donta. It could be argued that all three in this year’s draft outshine Boris and Travis, but this was all about getting the best possible guy, and Knight did that.

The Hawks needed to get more athletic, faster, and more defensive, and they did that just fine. And if everyone does develop and pan out, they have some terrific trade bait down the road.

3. The 2 Smiths can’t contribute immediately.

So? The Hawks don’t need instant gratification, they need talent, and they got that. Besides, when the Smiths do get on the court this next season, they will bring some instant gratification in that they can fill it up and display some awesome athleticism.

Overall, the Hawks addressed their biggest need, athletic talent. Yes they picked from what seemed to be the same pool, but so what? This was not a good year for big men, as players like David Harrison underwhelmed when worked out. They took the best player available and for a team that has always overlooked this type of player historically, it was a fresh change of pace.

No asking who the heck Priest Lauderdale was or why we would take Cal Bowdler over James Posey. We took the best player on the board when we selected and it looked good.

Overall Grade: B+

If any other team had drafted a player that was widely considered to be a lottery pick with the 17th pick in the draft, it would have been lauded as a steal. Instead the Hawks get the “bust of the draft”. It’s not a fair assessment.

The Hawks consistently took the best player available to them, and even though I hadn’t listed Josh Childress as a candidate for that pick, I should have based on his skill set.

In Smith and Smith they got great raw talent with explosive ability, all that Hawks fans can ask for. Was it Ed Gray? Roy Marble? No, it most certainly wasn’t.

The Hawks exorcized some drafting demons in my opinion in this draft, and that makes it a successful draft in my grading book.

Special Thanks

Thanks to the Hawks and 680 the Fan for having us on last night through the Hawks 2nd pick of the night. It was a wild night of unpredictable picks and trades, but it was a great time at the ESPNZone amongst all the Hawks faithful.

Also big thanks to the posters on the RealGM and Hawksquawk boards who came out to say hello…Good times….

• Moderators

Nice breakdown Jay.

I like the first three picks but I'm not sold on the trade of our last second rounder to SA.

I would have loved to have gotten Gordon, Livingston or Harris at #6 but of the remaining swingmen I will trust Knight's evaluation of Childress as the best of the bunch. He certainly showed some nice talent and a pretty good shooting touch at Stanford and he has the length Knight loves (he is 6'6'' but has a 6'11'' wingspan). The Smiths are all about potential and I think both were excellent value at those picks given the players on the board - especially Dunta Smith. He may be a real steal.

Ivey may be a valuable role player and from the favorable impression he made against this draft's elite PGs, I'll assume he can step in and be effective defensively from day 1.

None of the picks blew me away but I was cheering when the Hawks picked Josh Smith and Donta Smith (7'1'' foot wingspan - similar to Tayshaun Prince, although Prince is less athletic but a much better shooter and more polished) and I can't wait to see what it is like to have athletic, long players digging in defensively for the Hawks in the future.

Great Article Jay. I too am very happy with our picks. The took at #6 Josh Childress and the choices were Iggy , Deng and Childress and from the bunch the most polish and that has alot to offer is Childress. I loved the 17th pick, I was hoping for him and we got him. I know he will bring excitement to the Arena and you never know what can become of him. I also liked very much the picks of Ivey and Donta, Smith is extremely ahletic and alot of potential and is a scorer and Ivey is just a straight up tough minded player.

Great take on the draft Jay.

I like your insight on Knight's draft strategy. BK drafted the best player available. Although the players drafted are in the same pool, the POTENTIAL of either Donta or J.Smith to break out would be great trade bait.

BK is really thinking about the future and the flexibility the Hawks will have down the road.

It's interesting how all the critics down play the Hawks, but I believe this is a positive step in the right direction. During the Babcock Era, I was sick and tired of the Hawks drafting philosophy. The Hawks did miss out on James Posey instead drafted Cal Bowlder. Yet, there's new blood in the Hawks organization, and BK is doing a great job. I know the names do not stand out, but BK is really looking at the bigger picture.

BK is slowly building the Hawks up. I'm sure he would have wanted more ala Howard or Livingston; however, with the Hawks current draft positions, I believe BK did his best.

Jay pointed out that the Hawks could get a big man in free agency.

The Hawks have plenty of money, and I don't expect them to spend it all this year. In time, I see the Hawks picking up one or two marquee players. By then, the emergence of Donta or J.Smith will add to the mix. If by chance both break out, BK can lure in another impact player.

Although no big names were selected in the draft, right now it's great to be a Hawk.

"Best player available vs. positional needs".

BK proved to me that he isn't afraid to stockpile athletic talent. Again, BK is slowly building up the team. He's assembling athletic talent, money, draft picks, and in time, the attraction to play in Atlanta will soon become a hot spot (it already is, we just need a marquee player to start it off).

great article...glad to see some positivity

i liked our choices for a few reasons

a) we actually have a plan and blueprint: long, athletic defensive players

b) we didn't waste picks on stiffs just cause their size (tho i woulda liked to get ramos, but he didnt fall far enough)

c) diaw/childress/ivey is an EXTREMELY defensive 1/2 combo

d) danta should push josh to become better and they both have great potential, so they can fight for minutes with each other, making both of them work hard to improve

Thanks, as always, for the feedback, fellas...

I like that we stockpiled talent, no matter where it was on the floor.

We had been telling everyone that Billy would not look at what he had picked prior when deciding on his next pick. The talent when Billy picked was at the swing spots, and he took it.

Big men were not abundant in this draft and I am glad that Knight didn't reach for someone that would have struggled to make the team instead of a player like Donta Smith.

It was great talking with you last night before the draft (Iman and I had to sit outside on the patio). I was at first upset about the Childress pick but it is growing on me. His game seems alot like Jalen Rose which is not a bad thing at all. I am getting sick of the local talking heads on Sports talk today calling Childress a 3 when he clearly will be used as a 2. The guy has the range to shoot the three (he shot almost 40% on college threes last year) and has great handles. Josh Smith was well worth the pick at 17 and I hope Bilas' comments will motivate him. Thanks again for the work on getting in inside info.

Great article, as usual Jay. I too like the selections by Knight. Those of us who follow the team know what Knight is doing, he is creating quality depth at the 1/2/3 positions and that is great. There are a lot of frontcourt free agents out there and we could look to add frontcourt help in the draft next year with our 4 picks. Knight's patience is going to help us in the medium and long term, imo. We are not forfeiting our picks for stop gap players that don't fit our style yet have big names like Big Dog or Reef.

On another note, on the Buck and Kincaid show they were interviewing Josh Childress. Josh was incensed when they informed him about what Bilas said about the other Josh. He said it was disrespect. Josh (Childress) said that he looked forward to playing with the other Josh and thought he was a great player.

• 2 years later...

Good call on Smith.

I'll never forget how Jay Bilas disrespected Josh and his family on draft day by making that ridiculously inappropriate comment.

I'll never forget how there was a Slam Magazine that had Dunk of the Week. Josh Smith on Jay Bilas. When: Every night coming at an arena near you.

That was awesome.

Quote:

Nice write-up and appreciate the positive attitude toward the Hawks draft. I agree 100%.

I remember my days of optimism regarding the Hawks franchise with fondness. Proudly defending the Hawks franchise from the slings and arrows of Walter, Hotlanta and Diesel. Those were happier days.

Two years later, however, my optimism has turned to pesimisim.

Can you blame me?

Quote:

Of course not. What Jason did not say is that privately he was wanting Iggy or Deng and was shocked like the rest of us that we took Childress.

Oh well. Another Knight blunder at the draft. Big shock.

Has there been something I missed, or are Childress, Deng and Iggy still roughly equivalent-producing players?