• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Playoff Predictions:

1. NJ Nets - Jason Kidd

2. Boston - Pierce, Walker, Baker = playoffs

3. Raptors - Prince Vince is back.

4. Pistons - blue collar prevents fluke.

5. Pacers - deep team sticking together.

6. Heat - - poised to rise up.

7. Wizards - MJ,Hamilton,Hughes,Jeffries, hmmm...

8. Bucks - wont implode twice + best draft.

9. Hornets - unhappy B.Davis spells trouble.

10. Sixers - - Iverson-Mutombo still MVPs, dont sleep.

11. Hawks -- still 2 players away

12. Knicks -- McDyess helps bad karma.

13. Cavs --- on the rise, A.Miller + D. Wagner, hmmm...

• Admin

Boston won't be as high -- no point guard

Hawks with addition of Theo will be a contender.

NY might be a surprise too if McDyess works out and they are able to trade Spre for a legitmate SF.

The scarey thing with all of the East teams with the exception of the Cavs could very well be in the playoff hunt. I find it to hard to really predict. It is going to be an interesting year in the East.

Hurry up and start the season!!

Wow, thats being quite skeptical about our team. I think right now they are better than Wiz, Bucks, Heat and Raps. We are a team now that has 2 years under their belts playing together and thats what will make us successful. Eeveryone know each other very well and their style of play. Only 2 players other than Dikcau only have one year with the team and thats Reef and Ira and both of those guys got acclamated with the team very very well.

IMO It will be a battle to make the playoffs, but then again who said you dont have to battle in the NBA game in and game out. Our players are warriors and they are very hungry for that playoff berth, like I said before we will be a top 5 team in the East.

Africa, I have to disagree with you here. I think that things in the east are going to be as screwy this year as they were last. Barring future trades...

1. Hornets: good players that are well coached, deep at every position. Most well-rounded team with defined roles.

2. Pistons: great bench, lost no one, and improved a lot with Billups.

3. Nets: needed to trade KVH and find a BU pg...hasn't happened

4. Pacers: deepest, most talented...worst coached

5. Bucks: health and age, but they're still pretty good.

6. Sixers: AI's AI...and he's not going to jail.

7. Boston: rolling the dice, coming up snake-eyes

8. Hawks: biggest bonus is health and amt. of time team's been together

9. Orl: Grant Hill could change this placing dramtically, but they still have NO inside game. Is the former rookie of the year going to be a bu sg/sf now?

9. Toronto - going to really miss Keon...who's backing up the aging Hakeem? I just don't see the "talent" everyone raves about.

10. Heat - still need a pg and healthy Zo and Caron to devl.

11. Wizards: Popeye's not on board yet and Jordan's taking a backseat...how long till Collins' loses it?

12. Knicks - improved, but not that much.

13. Bulls - 25 wins should be about right

14. Cavs - Can Wagner move without the ball...I really feel sorry for 'dre.

I see you strained to include the Hawks, some of that rebate must be coming outta your pocket :> I would too love to see the Hawks back into the playoffs but it gonna happen.

The Heat, Wizards, Bucks, Raptors fought to the wire to get in despite having major injuries and such. The Hawks werent even close.

Objectively, I cant surpass may favorite team over others who were stronger despite their injuries. We didnt fight through our injuries to compete for that last spot, we werent good enough. Without injuries all of the above teams would have made it, except maybe the Heat and Wizards.

I just dont see how the Hawks close a 15 game gap. Ratliff will help but he's rusty. Dickau aint going to do jack against real NBA competition. Hendu, Crawford and Kukoc are going to give in to their injuries, so...unless there's some movement, I just cant see it.

The Hawks are an illusion, they are decent on paper, but in reality they are too injury prone to make it thru a season successfully.

WHO KNOWS who will be in the playoffs this upcoming season? NJ could repeat or they could miss the playoffs entirely. I don't think there is one team out there who is guaranteed a playoff spot in the East.

Who's to say NJ won't return to their injury prone ways? I'm not sold on K-Mart, T Mac, Kittles and Van Horn making it through 2 consecutive seasons remaining relatively injury free.

What will Baker do to Boston's chemistry? Who will be their PG? Who will be their Center?

Who will play Center for Toronto? Will VC regain his past form? What will TOR do without Clark? Will Williams be healthy and even if he is, can he run the point? Can Lenny coach (sorry, couldn't resist!)?

Are the Pistons really that good? Will they be able to stay as healthy as they did all last season? Is Chauncey Billups really an upgrade on Chucky Atkins?

Can Isiah coach? Will they trade Tinsley? Will their young guys (Bender, Harrington) ever live up to their vast potential? Will Reggie begin to show his age? Is Artest a great addition or a cancer?

Can Zo stay healthy? Will Caron Butler be better than his summer league stats indicate? Can Butler find his place among a veteran team. Will Riley have patience with a rookie? Will Eddie Jones ever step up? Who will play PG?

Will MJ play? Is Larry Hughes a PG? If the answer to those two questions are no, they are done. Can Jefferies be an impact player this year? What about Dixon? Is Kwame Brown ready to contribute? Can Heywood play more than 2 good games in a row?

Will Karl be able to get his team's confidence back? Will Cassell and Big Dog be back? If not, who will replace them? Can Mason fit with the team? Is EJ a good enough Center? Will Pryzbilla ever develop?

Will Davis still be in NO? Will Mash be healthy? Is Courtney Alexander the answer at SG? If the answer to those 3 questions is yes, I think NO is the best team in the EC.

Will AI be in jail? If not, will he be healthy? Will Mutombo be anywhere near his old self as he gets older? Will McKie and Snow be healthy? WillHarpring be back? Can DC stay out of trouble for two seasons in a row?

Is JT the answer at PG? If not, is DD? Will Theo stay healthy? Will Kukoc stay healthy (if he's even here)? Will DJ and/or DG finally step up? If not, can we get a reliable SG/SF who can score and defend? Can Lon coach at the NBA level? Will we get Ira resigned? Will our assistant coaches be any good (assuming E Muss will be gone)?

Can Cheaney coach? Will Spree be healthy (if he's there)? Can Spree be as effective now that his athletcism is not what it once was? Will McDyess be healthy? Can Frank Williams contribute right away at PG? Who will play Center?

CLE might surprise some people if they make some wise decisions and if their personnel can stay healthy. Asuming Miller stays, they could lineup:

Miller/

Wagner/Davis

Murray/Anderson

Hill/Mihm/Jones

Big Z/Diop

That is not great considering all the injuries they always seem to have but if that team could stay healthy, is it really THAT much worse thna the rest of the EC? Big Z can be effective if he can stay healthy and Wagner is instant offense. I think Miller is big and strong enough to guard most SGs fairly well and Wagner is strong too. Murray is inconsistent but he's a very good perimeter shooter. Ricky Davis looks like he's about ready to break out. Ty Hill is a strong rebounder and defender when healthy. In addition, if they trade Miller/filler for Odom/Wilcox/Ely/McInnis, they could be decent. Bottom line, they are not great by any stretch of the imagination but if they turned out to be decent, it wouldn't shock me.

Admittedly, I did strain a little to put the Hawks into the playoffs. But we've had more than our fair share of injury woes and most of the established teams have troubles, from being rookie dependent to no inside game (something I think the Hawks can really capitalize on...there are very few true 4's in the east...)

It's natural as the old saying suggests, but it seems like we are more critical of ourselves, and way more accepting of other teams questions.

We look at our players more realistically than the other guys.

Trace, you brought some good questions out, and I ask....If we had some of those other players, would we be as forgiving?

its close to weaseldom...

1)Hornets - they have the best BIG MEN in the east. Campbell and Brown are very solid underrated players. If u dont believe me look at their stats. And as backup they have BIG JAMAL who can easily start CENTER for many teams in the east. His only problem is being foul prone. This team is the most well-rounded team.

2)Nets- While the backup PG is still in search, they still have JASON KIDD (best pg in this league). Assuming they are injury-free... they can easily go to the finals again.

3)Celtics- Pierce and Walker are one of the leagues best 1/2 punch. Battie is a good center in the east and Baker could do some damage as a PF in the east. This team is a pg away from being a very good team.

4)Pistons- i think they got really lucky last year. The schedule was in their favor and they were injury-free. This team did get Billups and i see them being in the playoffs again.

5-7)Pacers- Reggie Miller is probably the best SG in the east (Allen may bring up contraversial matters). When its clutch time, Miller always delivers on time. He also has good support with BMiler, Artest, and Oneal.

5-7)Magic- I dont like the cockyness of McGrady, but i gotta admit... hes damn good. He himself can get this team to the 7th seed or so. Him + someone stepping up (Miller or Hill) can do some damage. Only if they had solid big men- Ewing and Grant are too old.

5-7)Hawks- we improved the MOST in the east (IMO). It feels like we signed Ratliff as a free agent this year. Abdur-Rahim + Terry got us to the record last year... i wonder how much Ratliff could help? We only had Newble for half the season, but now we have him for a full season (we'll- we're suppose to). Now we can use Kukoc, Glover, and Dickau. Its like a WHOLE NEW TEAM.

8)Heat- take out their NASTY start last season, and they improved a lot. Kinda like us, this team had a winning record after the allstar game. A healthy Zo, Grant, Jones, and Butler could help them make the playoffs.

NO PLAYOFFS-

bucks: they didnt make it last year and i dont see them improving this year. AGE issues are coming up, i see trades happening this year or next.

raptors: Carter is good but he has no cast support other than Petterson. The situation here is similar to Orlando's. The big men are getting old. Now take away CLARK, they need to go back to the draft.

wizards: this team has talent and MJ (which is always helpful). They'll go to the draft... i'll be surprised if they make the playoffs this year.

knicks: Abdur-Rahim + Mohammed got us to where we were last year. McDysse + Kurt Thomas? I see them doing doing worse than us. Houston and Sprewell can do damage, but they have no support after the big 3 (mcdysse, sprewell, houston).

bulls: still too young. But Williams + Rose would be fun to watch.

Cavs: they even told us that they're not going to make the playoffs... all i gotta say is "GOOD LUCK TRYING TO GET LEBRON JAMES NEXT YEAR"

good post and team review. I still think Chi and Cle are in for a rough year, and the Knicks too. When you break it down, things really are pretty wide open in the east and there are a lot of question marks. As I said before, the biggest thing we have going for us that many teams don't is continuity/ chemistry.

The biggest "playoff lock" teams in the East IMO are:

Nets - yes, health and team needs (bu pg) are issues, but I think they've proven that they'll be in the playoffs, high or low.

Hornets - perhaps the most well balanced team in the east, with defined roles. Adding Alexander helped as well...

Indiana - if they don't, it's Isiah's head. Oddly enough, the biggest problem on this team may be the glut of talent. While still searching for that pg (could Best be back?), they have a log jam at SG/SF/PF with Miller, Mercer, Bender, Harrington, Artest, Oneal, Miller, and Foster. all are pretty much legit starters for most teams...they really need to do a 1 for 3 trade to even things out...Cle, looking your way...

Pistons - very well coached with defined roles. The addition of Billups only strengthens things, whether he starts or not. Their grind it out style of play goes a long way as the season wears on....

that leaves four spots by my count. If anything, I think we have fewer question marks and holes to fill than most of the other teams we're competing with for those last four spots.

• Premium Member

IF things don't change much more:

1. Boston. - Getting a C that can put up 15-18 and pull down 10 rebounds or so will really help them. Also, a change of Scenery was long overdue for Baker. The real steal of yesterday was getting Shammond Williams. He's no high scorer but he can hold the line.

2. Toronto. - So much talent (if they don't trade Vince and Jefferies away). I would like to see how Jeffries fair and if he challenges Pete.

3. New Jersey. - Jason Kidd makes everyone better. But Injuries don't help NJ like they did last yr.

4. Detroit - Great Coaching. They have Billups at the Point. Watch out.

5. Indiana - Sleeper team for sure. They are abundantly talented at every position. I think that they will trade for a vet PG before it's all over. Can you say: NVE!

6. Washington - MJ returns. Washington comes through the East. Seriously though... They have a lot of talent.

7. Philly - Iverson wills them to the playoffs again.

8. New York. - If Dice is healthy... Him, Houston, and whoever they get for Latrell runs the table. To be totally honest, they need a C in the worst way... But if Dice plays and is healthy, Dice has the most talent around him that he has ever had. Dice vs. Reef should be interesting.

• Premium Member

In my heart... I believe that somehow, the Knicks will get Baron Davis/Elden Campbell(?) for Spreewell/Eisley/Picks. I think that if Baron wants to go to NY, there's nothing N.O. Can do but honor his wishes and take a whole lot of Picks from the Knicks.

Don't get me wrong, maybe the trade goes through Minn to N.O? Maybe the trade goes through LAC to N.O. However, NY will get Davis.

some people are seriously over-rating the Knicks. Dice is great, but they still lack a pg, are "desperately seeking center," and, well, they were worse than us last year.

Spree's game is going downhill with his age due to his lack of a true jump shot and diminishing quickness. Houston's got that jumpshot...but the untradeable contract.

I just don't see any identity to this team. Who's their leader? Spree has been, but with all the trade rumors, or if he is traded, then who leads? Of the teams in contention for spots, they're the least of my worries.

Diesel - do you really think Baker is a C? Granted he's listed at 6'11, 250, but I don't think he's a C and putting him at PF makes Pierce and Walker play somewhat out of position.

Also, something that I haven't quite figured out - can someone explain how the Raps are "so talent-laden?" Hakeem was a shadow of his former self the past season and a half, so I don't see it getting any better. at best he's 12/8 now. Antonio's All-Star season is now gone - he had his moments last year, but he's better off at C apparently. Vince is Vince...he'll get his, I know. Alvin Williams is somewhat over-rated (played well in his contract year) and Mo Pete failed to thrive when Vince was out like most thought he would...

I just don't see it. Granted they'er solid and have no gaping holes, but I don't think they're that deep or incredibly dominating int he starting lineup either.

1. New Jersey - no reason to think they wont be the top seed again. They havent gotten any better or worse so far this offseason, and I expect them to add a good BU PG and let Johnson leave. That will make them much better, plus another year to play together will help big time.

2. Boston - Baker is going to play PF for them. OBrien has said it and everything I have read has said that, meaning they will start Battie at center and move Antione shoots a lot to SF and move Pierce to SG. That may work, and it may not but I am willing to be it wont work.

3. Detroit - Adding Billups will help, but he is very streaky and isnt much of a real PG. However he should upgrade the position a little bit if he can keep himself from shooting too much. Rodney White should help a little this year and Rebraca should be better.

4. Orlando - With Grant Hill returning to health and the addition of JV to their backcourt, they could be very dangerous. They still have question marks at PF and at Center though and there isnt much out there to help, but Keon could be on his way there, which would put them into a very nice playoff seed. Maybe a Nazr is in their future as well. Double O will give them minutes off the bench and should help Hunter but they still need a starter for sure. Does Horace Grant have one more productive year and will they keep Garrity?

5. Indiana - All of their talent should make them get better just because of playing together. They must find a veteran PG though, which I think they will do. Only problem here is finding enough playing time for everyone to keep them happy.

6. Atlanta - Finally we will have a healthy roster that has 3 legit All-Star cadidates on it and 2 good young swing players in Dion and Dermarr that should contribute a lot. Toni and Nazr off the bench, along with Hendu and CC should provide a lot of veteran help and the little engine that could Dan Dickau will provide a spark that was sorely missed last season.

7. New Orleans - If they keep this team together and the players can play as a unit and get the fans behind them they have as much talent as anyone, provided Mash is healthy. They have a ton of talent and adding Alexander should help them a bunch. They could move up or down depending on the chemistry.

8. Milwaukee - The Bucks have a lot of talent, but team chemistry is a concern. Nobody in the league has a better trio of scorers, but they are disappointed in Tim Thomas, which makes dealing Glenn Robinson a big risk because they will likely try and get a starting center or PF for him and they arent sure if Thomas can be the starting SF. They also must bring back Michael Redd and they need some PG help behind Cassell. Haislip should be able to contribute big time as a rookie if what he showed in camp is any indication.

Out of playoffs - Philly - When you have Larry Brown as your coach and an Iverson/Mutombo tandem that should get you to the playoffs no matter what you have left, but it wont this year with the East getting better. They have an entire unit that must stay healthy, most notably Iverson, Coleman, and Snow and they almost must replace Harpring with a starting caliber SF, but who is available? Missing the playoffs will cause they to have a fire sale next season.

Out of playoffs - NY Knicks- If they can add a veteran PG who is at least as good as Mark Jackson and if they can add a starting caliber center then they should be able to make a playoff push, but they havent done that yet so only time will tell. For now they arent in the playoff picture.

Out of playoffs - Toronto - until they get a better coach they are going no place. They overpaid big time last year for Williams and JYD and it will cost them their second most important player in FA this year and they will get no compensation for losing him. They may not even make the playoffs next year since Dream is on his last legs and Davis is all they have left to play at center and there is no telling if he will be able to hold up for another season at center.

Out of playoffs - Washington - They have lost Jordan from the starting 5 and he may not even play at all, plus they lost Courtney Alexander and only time will tell if the little man Dixon can replace some of that production. Larry Hughes should come in at PG and make them far better if he can return to his old Philly style. If Jared Jeffries and Kwame Brown have big years and if Jordan can give them minutes off the bench they may have what it takes to make a playoff run.

Out of playoffs - Miami - If Miami can get off to a good start, and if they can add another guy who can provide a spark for them offensively they have a shot. Everything rides on the health of Mourning and on Brian Grants ability to get back to his old form. They definitely have enough talent to make the playoffs, but they must get off to a good start.

Out of playoffs - Chicago - Should be much improved and will give teams nightmares, but they arent there yet. Crawford must get to the point where the Bulls think he should be and Jay Williams must prove he is ready to start and make a difference. They also need continued improvement from Curry and Chandler. More young talent than anyone in the league, but arent quite ready for the playoffs yet.

Out of playoffs - Cleveland - nice young group of scorers, but they have many problems in the frontcourt and they need to deal Andre Miller. They are looking for draft picks for him and they will be fighting for the worst record in basketball trying to win the Lebron James sweepstakes.

Compared to what teams? VC is a superior talent and AD is very good but who is so great on the team after that? Mo Pete, A Williams, JYD and Lindsay Hunter are all solid players but I can think of SEVERAL teams more talented than Toronto. IND, NO, BOS, MIL and NJ DEFINITELY have more talent and ATL, NY, ORL and MIA have as much talent as TOR. A lot of factors will go into determining who makes the playoffs and TOR might make it but they could just as easily miss the playoffs entirely.

I agree...Lindsey Hunter is pretty much a nothing now because

decent defense.

Hakeem is done

Antonio Davis is already 34

Alvin Williams IS overrated

Chris Jefferies?Who?

Yogi?HAHAHA!

Peterson-ok,but not great

Vince-Must stay healthy

This team is quickly been getting overrated the

last few years.All besides that one game they

struggled to beat us even with a healthy Carter

Losing Clark they have no depth,no real PG,no

backup SG....

I think they are really going to feel the effects of

bye bye Keon Clark.Their rebounding is weaker and

with their lack of rebounding they will not able to

hold teams down scoring aswell as they have the

last couple of years.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

Diesel - do you really think Baker is a C? Granted he's listed at 6'11, 250, but I don't think he's a C and putting him at PF makes Pierce and Walker play somewhat out of position.

After playing most of his career as a Pf, he's now a C. Similar to Kevin Willis. Except He's Bigger than Willis and has better moves around the basket.

BAKER

Walker

Pierce

Forte

Williams.

That's a five that can do some damage. I'm not sure about who is their 2...

But I think they play Baker at C before they play:

Battie

Baker

Walker

Pierce

Williams.

Simply because Baker is not fast enough to keep up with the good PFs in the East: SAR/McDyess/Oneal/Wallace.