• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC ventFans bashing the addition of Kevin Willis

Plainview1981

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/vent/index.html

" You blew it with that Kevin Willis acquisition, Billy Knight. I was a believer 'til then."

" So Kevin Willis know what it takes to win an NBA championship. Wonder how he found out. He didn't have a clue when he was here before."

" Kevin Willis, oh, yeah, I'm going out and buy season tickets for sure now.

Kevin Willis says he knows what it takes to win a championship. Yeah, so do we: Tim Duncan and David Robinson."

" Yippee, we got Willis back, he is only 100 years old. Maybe we can sign Koncak too."

" No doubt about it. With the fine addition of Kevin Willis, the Hawks are headed for the NBA Finals.

"Way to go, Hawks! I understand Dan Roundfield, Tree Rollins and Spud Webb are still available, too.

If Julio Franco can do it, why not Kevin Willis? Bring on the rocking chair fan club."

Dang! Looks like that signing upset some fans. I really

don't understand it. I mean, it isn;t like the Hawks

threw out big money.

Those guys do not know anything about what it takes to build a winning Basketball team, neither do they follow the NBA closely or they would have known that no other center was out there to sign. I will say Billy Knight "jumped the gun" on signing Jason Collier when we could have signed Pryzbilla ,who is a better rebounder, to a contract.

this is the post that best sums things in my mind. Why would "fans" (assuming that they know anything about the Hawks current team, that they already have Collier, who I don't really want to start right now, and Drobs) have any problem with the signing of Willis, a stalwart locker-room presence, a nostalgic flair, and ability to play spot minutes and maybe bruise some people? makes no sense.

I was very happy with the signing of Willis. Here is a guy that is in better physical shape at the age of 42 than many, many young guys in this league. Willis can still put up numbers given minutes and will still battle down low like a beast. He can still definitely contribute. He was cheap, just the vet minimum and he is the 2nd to 3rd center for this team, so whats the problem. What BK has done here is he has added 4 very productive veterans to go with the mix of 5 young fellas, plus of course the addition of 1 big time scorer and another very good scorer with potential of being a big time scorer. Plus dont forget CC, if he stays healthy he can definitely contribute with his much improved outside shooting, he is a very good 3 point shooter.

I actually like this team better than last years opening team, I see more accomplishment by this team and we have alot of guys that have won throughtout their careers and know what it takes.

• Moderators

Bashing the Willis signing is just stupid as everyone here seems to agree. Unfortuantely there are many people (even in the front offices) who think teams should be loaded with 'potential' players. But, you don't win anything without guys like Willis, Horry, Horace Grant.

How old was Cartwright when the Bulls started winning. It would have been tough without him.

• Premium Member

The truth is that Willis was a pickup of desparation. We needed an experienced big man. We needed vet leadership. We needed someone who can connect with the fans. Willis was available and more capable than Clark. Plus, Willis was cheap.

That's the truth. (same applies for Kenny Anderson).

a 3rd Center with veteran experience? That is like saying that Dallas is signing Avery Johnson to be their 3rd PG out of desperation or that Cleveland is signing Scott Williams to backup Ilgauskas and Diop out of desperation. The Willis signing is certainly not going to be the difference between us being a bad team and a good team but he can add value by providing veteran leadership to the youngsters and by pounding on some of the stronger big guys in the league for about 10-12 mpg.

desperation...i can see your point, that signing those guys filled major holes in the team...but the word "desperation" implies too much; it's not like we signed Olden Polynice or Keon Clark or Rod Strickland, those would have been more "desperate" moves imo...

I think they were "smart" acquisitions, that filled needs, both in roles on the court, in the lockerroom, with some ability for "fans" to associate (previous atl/gt ties).

What the Hawks needed:

Another center.

An experienced vet player.

Someone that the "old" Hawks fans could identify.

Someone that could play a few minutes every night.

Someone to help our young players adjust to life

as an N.B.A. player.

Another big body to "Bang" under the boards amd not be shoved around.

A "coach" on the floor sometimes.

What we got:

All of the above. Desperation? You bet! We desperately

needed someone to fulfill all the above requirements

and we got him!!

Wow!! You couldn't ask for more. And, the price is right!

Complaining? Heck no. I am EXCITED about this signing.

Now, bring on the competition. Hawks are ready.

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

Quote:

Sounds like fair weather fans....I don't think they have paid attention to how in shape Kevin is, or how he contributed to the Spurs last year....just the leadership he will bring on and off the court is invaluable to a young team.

I agree, Kevin Willis is most likely the best condition player we have on our team, and if anyone was to see him in person they would most likely agree.

Kevin Willis also isn't here to win us a championship, but is here to present his leadership qualties, and to put the younger guys under his wing.