• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Surprise team - the Wizards?

Bulldog

The Wiz have been a bit of a joke for a number of years since their first round loss to the Jordan led Bulls when they had Howard and Webber. But this year I think they could be a surprise and make the playoffs.

Look at the starting 5:

Gilbert Arenas, Larry Hughes, Jarvis Hayes, Kwame Brown, Antawn Jamison.

Then there are still decent players on the bench like Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas and Jared Jeffries.

Hayes could get the most improved award this year. he had averages of almost 10ppg and 4rpg last year but has been stellar in pre-season dropping 31 and 14 last time out. Jamison, Arenas and Brown all have something to prove and scoring definitely shoudl not be a problem with this team. Arenas and Jamison almost led the Warriors to the playoffs last time they were together and they may have a deeper team in a weaker conference in Washington.

I see them at least being the 6 spot and even getting out of the first round for the 1st time in a long time.

Anyone agree?

on paper, they have the talent to make the playoffs.

but they have the BIGGEST CHEMISTRY problems in the league. no one is on the same page. i remember last year, some players were calling each other out sayin how certain individuals only care about their OWN PERSONAL stats. and to say that out loud, and in front of the media... its a mess.

but its a fresh start, and if the coach can get their guys to play together as a cohesive group- they can do some damage in the EAST.

but if its anything like last year, they'll be worst than the hawks! lol...

I remember reading, maybe on Insider, that Christian Laettner was the source of all of their chemistry problems, on the floor and in the locker room. And so that draft day trade (that I remember seemed grossly unfair for the Wizards) was primarily to get rid of him. So maybe the Wizards will finally start to be a contender. Like you guys said, they're certainly talented enough, and if they don't make the playoffs this year, they're definitely young enough to improve for next year, and make another playoff run then.

i like their players too but i don't think they have someone who can carry them. Antawn has never been able to do that and gilbert arenas is just an above average complementary people. However it doesn't take a lot to reach the playoffs in the east and i see them at 8 or 9th. an 8 is possible if kwame significantly improves and gilbert starts to pass a bit more.

I think it was best said earlier that it's all about defense (an offshoot of how they play as a team).

They've got a lot of scorers and guys who can play well in an up tempo offense. But much will depend on cohesion, Gilbert's ability to get everyone enough touches (while doing his own thing) and play in the halfcourt offense.

As mentioned, they've got quite a bit of talent (so do we if you look at it objectively), but chemistry's going to be everything.

~ at least we know woodson's harping on Defense from day one, making it his number one priority.

• Premium Member

I am a fan of some of the players on the Wiz, but not the team. I would love to have Heywood, Brown, or Hughes... However, looking at their team, they will have big chemistry problems... Just like we did. Arenas is no more of a PG than JT. I think that the coach has to find a way to make Kwame the focus of the team and not let Jamison take over. This will be hard. They got a lot of talent, but like us with the big four, they don't have the chemistry.