• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Harrington, Smith, and Childress: The Foundation

KBatPCSOM

This is something Pete Babcock was never able to accomplish. He never built a foundation of young, supremely talented players during his time, and he never tried to acquire draft picks the way Billy Knight has acquired them.

Billy Knight will continue to add players around those three. With a top 3 draft pick very likely, the Hawks may have a chance to add Andrew Bogut, Chris Paul, or maybe even Marvin Williams to the mix. Bogut and Paul fit in positions they need, but Williams is a guy that would be tough to pass on regardless of who you have. He's the type of player that you take and worry about things sorting out later.

With the pick from the Celtics, the Hawks will have a chance to add another good player. The middle part of the first round will likely be the area for Jarret Jack, John Gilchrist, or maybe a guy like Guillermo Diaz. A player who could also figure in there might be Louis Williams, a local prospect, if he decides to go pro. The question is, would the Hawks want him as a developmental prospect at the point guard spot?

With a high second round pick, the Hawks will be able to add yet another contributor to the team. They could be in a position to grab a guy like Julius Hodge from North Carolina State, a versatile player who can play the point guard and shooting guard positions.

• Premium Member

You would think he was a two by size, but his game is better as a 3. He doesn't have the shot for a 2 and he's a good rebounder. I think Smoove can operate as a 4.

In fact, I betcha before season ends, Smoove will get more opportunity to play the 4 and Chills playing the 3.

I think before 2 long, Harrington will be trade bait... Not foundation.

I would also draft Marvin Williams 1st. How stupid will we look in 5 years if we chose not to draft Williams because we already had a guy like Childress.

Hodge is too skinny I think, and Louis Williams is not a true PG like Livingston or Telfair were. I don't like him. Gerald Green I think will end up pretty good, he could be worth it.

It is far too early in JChill's career to declare he is unable to be a full time 2. JChill has the work habits to practice his jumper all summer to improve his range. His current inability to consistantly hit the deep jumper is the only reason one might doubt he is suited to play the 2. He has all the other skills to be an effective 2 guard. IMO he will develop into a solid 2 guard. I also don't understand this rush to play JSmoove at the 4 spot. BK himself recently said JSmoove's current natural position is the 3 spot and he "might" physically grow enough in the future to play the 4 spot. The Walker trade was primarily made to allow these guys to now play the 2 and 3 spots. Let's see how these guys play at the 2 and 3 spots for the remainder of the season.

I went to the Hawks/Warriors game last night and just don't see what anyone sees in Harrington. He reminds me of SAR with less offensive skills but slightly better defensive skills. He had trouble getting his shot or establishing position down low against the Warriors who have very little strength down low. I'm sure he is a nice guy and works hard, but he just doesn't seem to have the athletice ability to be a 6-9 pf and too slow to be a sf. He is a tweener.

I don't mean to bash him, but I hope the hawks don't have plans for him to be the first or second option or what I saw was just an aberation.

• Premium Member

Not only me... Most of the board sees that Smoove will be better than Harrington. Even the journalist are reporting that the Hawks Management felt that they made a mistake getting Harrington. If you think about it... Imagine: Smoove, Chillz, Jax?

Much better than either Smoove or Chillz on the bench or out of position Mr. " I think Smoove should play SG"...

give me a break.

• Premium Member

I'm not saying that he can't adapt to being a Mediocre SG... I'm saying that he's probably already a very good 3. His Rebounds speaks volumes about his ability at the 3. To force him to play 2 will take away that. His game right now is mostly putbacks, fastbreaks, and times when he puts the ball on the floor. You're asking him to change all that and become a set shooter. Sure, he could do it, but he's already good at being a Sf. Honestly, I don't see where Black Hole is worth it and there will be 3 months to prove my point.

I still can't believe you are comparing AH to a black hole (Big Hog Robinson). AH is not a selfish player and is a very hard worker. I don't think anyone here is claiming AH is a clear go to guy. It will take him some time to adjust on O without Walker but IMO he will play well down the stretch of this season. I want to see AH, JSmoove, and JChil develop some chemistry.

Okay, I'll give you that Al is more athletic than most pf's. However, even though his footwork was good last night down low, he just didn't have the ability to elevate with body control to finish the shot last night. He would completely miss the rim with a shot that resemble more of a soccer throw-in. After he worked so hard to make the move, he didn't have anything left to finish the shot. I don't know, is this because he is shorter than most pf's? Jamison is a tweener that likes to play down low, while he isn't as strong as Al, he has the quickness and athletic ability to make the move and get the shot off with body control.

Chills game is that of a 3. He is a great rebounder, finisher, and post player..He has alot of nice post moves.He plays good D at the 3..His game suffers when he is forced to the perimeter. He needs to be near the basket to be most effective. Chills is a MUCH better rebounder than Al. Smoove will be a great defensive and rebounding 4. His offense will eventually grow into a more rounded game, but even now, his defense and athletism at the 4 creates problems. I think in a perfect world Chills and Smoove will be the starters, and Al will back up both positions..He is a classic tweener anyway, so it is a perfect role. We need a 1, a 2, and a 5.

I went to the Hawks/Warriors game last night and just don't see what anyone sees in Harrington. He reminds me of SAR with less offensive skills but slightly better defensive skills. He had trouble getting his shot or establishing position down low against the Warriors who have very little strength down low. I'm sure he is a nice guy and works hard, but he just doesn't seem to have the athletice ability to be a 6-9 pf and too slow to be a sf. He is a tweener.

I don't mean to bash him, but I hope the hawks don't have plans for him to be the first or second option or what I saw was just an aberation.

"

Agreed. He is simply out of his league right now. He

makes his move and has trouble finishing alot of times

and he just seems to have to big of a role. I figured

this season he'd produce about 18/8... He is doing just

a hair below that... The SJ trade wasn't really a bad

one because SJ isn't a top 2 player on a team either,

but Al is better with the role he had in Indy. I don't

think there will be room for Al if Childress is the

Hawks future because as others have said he is a SF.

To me it's misleading to think that all shooting guards need to have a great jump shot, or even that you need to clearly distinguish between a SG and a SF. Not all SG are Jeff Hornacek. The real issue is that if Childress doesn't develop a jumper somebody else on the floor has to be able to shoot.

• Premium Member

The point is still. You can make Chillz into a mediocre 2 or you can keep him as a pretty good 3. There have been a few cases were guys came into the league as this and changed over. Vince Carter started as a 2 went to the 3 then back to the 2. However, Vince has a Jumpshot. Normally though, guys who play the 3 become limited as a 2 and that's what we see with Chillz. My goodness, the man pulled down 15 boards the other night.

The good thing is that the Hawks will give Harrington time at the PF. And in that time, Smoove and Chillz will be on the floor. My prediction is by end of the season, we will be looking for a way to trade Harrington in the offseason.

IF Boston gets us a 20 something pick, I'm not against using the Pick and Harrington to give us a high lottery pick.