• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Article, reactions from Glenn "Big Dog" Robinson

JTFan31

Pretty good article, I would of love to see more of him commenting about coming to Atlanta, but he did mention he is very happy to come to an organization who wants to win and is an up and coming team. He does sound very hurt from being traded from the Bucks, because he leaves ties behind in Milwaukee, he did admit that he will never make a mistake like his domestic violence again. I like this guy alot, he admits when he is wrong and it sounds to me he is very straight forward and honest and has nothing to hide. Good Job, Glenn.

It seems that most of the people that judge him in a negative approach are the ones that don't know him. The ones that do know him seem to have nothing but positive things to say about him. He sounds like a responsible guy as far as I can tell. Although the article doesn't say much, at least he isn't down about the trade. He did mention the fact that he likes the city of Atlanta.

Fresh start for 'Big Dog'

August 9, 2002

BY LACY J. BANKS SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

byline:

Lacy J.

BANKS

The NBA

Glenn ''Big Dog'' Robinson was neither hurt nor surprised when the Milwaukee Bucks traded him last week to the Atlanta Hawks.

''There have been rumors of them trading me for years now,'' said Robinson, a Gary native, former Purdue star and the NBA's No. 1 pick in the 1994 draft. ''So it was not that big of a surprise. When Michael Jordan left the Bulls and ended up working for and later playing for the Washington Wizards, I said anything can happen. I'm not hurt because Atlanta is one of my favorite cities, and the Hawks are an up-and-coming team that is about to turn things around. I'm looking forward to being a part of that and for going to a team where I'm wanted.''

It's not that the Bucks were so displeased with Robinson, who averaged 21.1 points during his eight seasons with them and whose recent arrest on misdemeanor charges stemming from a domestic dispute with a girlfriend was more the exception than the rule in terms of his character. General manager Ernie Grunfeld simply had to shake up an underachieving team that came within a basket of making the Eastern Conference finals in 2001, then failed to make the playoffs this last season.

And if the trade also excuses the Bucks from paying Robinson the $30million left on his multiyear contract, no NBA team these days is avoiding a chance to save money if the deal also can improve team chemistry.

''I've always felt that since we had so many scoring threats, it might help the Bucks to sacrifice some scoring for some defense, passing and rebounding,'' Robinson said.

That's exactly what Grunfeld and coach George Karl hope to get from forward Toni Kukoc and center Leon Smith, whom the Bucks received in return. (They also got a first-round pick in the 2003 draft.) Kukoc helped the Bulls win their last three championships. Smith, a Chicago native, remains a work in progress. He has yet to play a full NBA season since immaturity and personal problems marred his jump from King High School to the NBA in 1999.

Does Robinson think the trade was partial punishment for that recent domestic dispute? Many think that New Jersey Nets star Jason Kidd still would be playing for the Phoenix Suns if he had not been involved in a highly publicized domestic dispute with his wife.

''No, I don't think that incident had anything to do with the trade because everybody knows that was a once-in-a-lifetime mistake for Glenn Robinson,'' Robinson said. ''There are many more players who have done worse. Dennis Rodman could have been traded a couple of dozen times for all the mess he got into. And Allen Iverson would have been sent packing from Philadelphia a long time ago.

''I just think it was a matter of Ernie Grunfeld doing his job and trying to make the team better. Hey, this is a business. The only guy who has been with the present Bucks longer than I have is the owner, [sen.] Herb Kohl. I've seen many players and coaches come and go since I played for the Bucks, but I leave with no hard feelings. The organization and the fans were good to me, and I believe that although a lot of fans may not have liked me when I first arrived there, I was able to win most of them over once they saw what kind of person I am.

''So I have nothing bad to say about Ernie trading me. We could meet again. He could get fired again and end up in Atlanta. He was with Greg Anthony and Anthony Mason when they played for him in New York. Now, lo and behold, they are back together again. That's how this business works. And I would love to work with Ernie again.''

Robinson said he will keep his homes in Milwaukee, Chicago and near Gary. He also will continue coming back home during the summer to run his basketball camps for community kids and to help his agent, Charles Tucker, inspire area kids to make the most out of their opportunities to enjoy life and be good people.

Its got something to do with that popup that keeps wanting to come up I think.......oh well, its not that great of an article for us other than he is sorry for what he has done. I want to hear more about his feelings of coming here.

I don't know if you guys are serious or not. So I will assume that you are.

Ilya Kovaluchuk is an 18 kid that scored 29 goals in the NHL last year for the Thrashers. He missed the last 16 games of the season due to his injury. He is a phenom in the making.

Dany Heatley was only 20 years old last year and won rookie of the year honnors in the NHL. He is a Thrasher too, and has the all around game like SAR. He does it all, and Kovaluchuk is a sniper. The Thrashers had the worse record in hockey last year, that will not happen this year.

Jarvis Hayes will be a top 5 pick in the NBA Draft next year, if he comes out. He plays for the Georgia Bulldogs. He has great a great touch for scoring, incredible leaps, and shoots all the big shots at the end of the game and usually makes them. He will lead the Bulldogs this year, deep into the NCAA Tournament.

Bill Elliot is a Nascar Driver from Dawsonville, GA (AWESOME BILL FROM DAWSONVILLE). He is the hottest driver right now in Nascar. He has won the last two races, and has qualified 1st or 2nd in the last 3 weeks. I am pretty sure, that the race later today he has qualified in the top 5. Elliot was the first driver to win the Winston Millon. He won it the first year they had it. 1987 I think, and it took a long time before anyone else matched it.

Sorry, but i couldnt name 1 person in NHL if my life depended on it. The only hockey players i know are Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemuix (sp?). I dont watch any hockey at all.

Bill Elliot, i guessed he was a Nascar driver. Ive heard of him, but im not Nascar fan either. I rather watch NHL before Nascar. Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhart, Earnhart Jr, Bill Elliot are the only nascar drivers i heard of.

I did some research on Jarvis Hayes, and it seems to me like he will finish his 4 years. He also mentioned about wanting to play for the Atlanta Hawks..

I still think Dion Glover was far more developed when he was coming out of GA TECH than Hayes (looking at the numbers)

I have never been a hockey fan either. I only used to watch Sportscenter and hoped the Thrashers won. I never cared to watch them. Last year, I finally got into it and it wasn't bad. I still like basketball, baseball, and football much better. The thing that is great about hockey is our local team the Thrashers. Like I said earlier, they were the worse team last year. It was only there 3rd year of play. They have two minor league systems, the Chicago Wolves and the Greenville Growl. Both of thier minor league's teams won their Championship's last year. The Thrashers have never been big on signing free agents in the off season, this year they have signed 5 so far. Their two biggest stars are Kovaluchuk and Heatley , who will be 19 and 21 years old this year. They finished 1 and 2 in the Calder Cup Race (which is the rookie of the year in hockey), with Heatley winning it. You know being the worse team, you can only get better. This team though is going to get better quick, and I love watching young althetic guys impove.

Jarvis Hayes in age wise is considered a senior. He transferred from East Carolina (with his twin Jonas Hayes), and they had to sit out a year, because of the NCAA Regulations. So technically he has only played 3 years of ball, and would be eligible to play another year. There was a few rumors he might come out, this past draft. But many thinks he wants to return to Georgia because of all their talent. Now, all of Georgia recruits may not even play, with academic problems. Damien Wilkins will be playing for Georgia this year, son of Gearld Wilkins and the nephew of Dominique Wilkins. Hayes has the NBA body, and will be an instant success at the next level. You mention Glover, well Jarvis is a lot better than him in my opinion. If you like Glover's Hops, then just watch Jarvis jump a time or two. He really gets off the floor great, and he scores from all over the court. He will have a job in the NBA someday, and I can't see him staying another year at Georgia.