• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why does everyone like Deron over Paul and Felton?

AtLaS

Deron is MUCH slower, shoots only 36% from 3 which is not great (what will it be when the line is 2 ft further?), and shot only 67% from Free throw line this year, while Paul shot 47% from 3 and Felton was like 40-something, I forget. Felton and Williams are about equal FT shooters but Paul shot about 84% I think Williams' big NCAA tourney is just blinding everyone. Felton or Paul would just give us another dimension by being so much quicker. And I also don't get why Williams is such a GREAT defender now that Paul's height has been taken out of question. Paul averaged 2.4 steals/game, Felton had 2.0, Deron only averaged 1.0 per game. I understand that steals don't equal defense but we know that Paul and Felton aren't really going to get posted up on a nightly basis because they are average height for a PG, and there really aren't any post up PG's anymore. Also, how is D. Williams going to keep up with all the super quick PG's in the NBA? I just think he will end up being overwhelmed trying to guard today's 'quick' NBA point guard with the likes of Nash, Francis, Marbury, Wade, Parker, Iverson, Telfair, Nelson, Terry, Bibby, Arenas, I know there are many more but I don't feel like looking them up, but Paul and Felton have the athleticism to at least stay in front of them. Let's not forget that he also had Dee Brown on his team who guarded the quickest guy most of the time. Let's face it, our team is geared towards the fast break, we don't need Deron Williams, his shooting isn't as good as everyone has been raving and his FT% really turned me off also, and he is slower, I just see this guy's ceiling as Mark Jackson, and that's best case scenario. Although he is a smart player, Paul and Felton are very smart players also, and they are both very clutch. Please don't bring up Felton's Duke game where he had the turnover at the end, he has had MANY games where he has been very clutch, and he has never been labeled a turnover-prone player. Although UNC had great players, just look what happened EVERYTIME they took Felton out, he immediately went right back in, he ran that team, the ONE game without him they lost to Santa Clara, tell me that isn't a leader.

I know y'all are going to come back with "Williams is the best passer in the draft," well I disagree, they all averaged about the same assists but I still say Felton is the best passer. A lot of D. Williams assists came off passes on the fast break to Dee Brown or kick outs to Head.

I was really high on Deron, but I am starting to have doubts that his game will translate to the pros. He wasn't quick enough in the championship game to beat his man off the dribble and penetrate, and I don't think it's going any easier in the pros. In a league full of fast players, the PG position is probably the quickest position of them all. Night in and night out, he is going to be at a disadvantage.

• Moderators

Quote:

You guys should check the results from the combine. Deron tested out as the athletic equal to Paul and Felton.

He was actually quicker than Paul on the lateral quickness test. He has also lost some weight which may have helped. His "athletic" rating was higher than either Paul or Feltons, in part due to his superior performance on the bench press. Felton was the fasted and quickest of the three but had the worst bench press and a significantly worse vertical than Paul or even Deron.

how is Paul's height now 'out of the question'? he measured 6'1 flat in shoes, under 6'0 without. He's still under 180 (put that against Billups or other 'back you down pg's'.

Yeah, he did shoot better...but then again, Kidd shoots like ass. always has.

Here's the thing: with Smoove, to a degree Chill, and whomever else you want to tab into the frontcourt...do you liek/want a scoring pg?

me, I'm old school on that one...and I still say no. Nash is great because he 'can' score, but generally doesnt.

Yeah I'm still not sure about Paul being a great distributor. Yeah he's a floor general in the sense of putting a team on his shoulders and refusing to lose, but I never really saw him run a great offense or make great passes. He could become a distributor, I'm just not sold yet. Also not sold on his height. Also not sold on Deron's playmaking until I see him outside of the Illinois system.

I'm sure Paul is gonna be good, maybe somewhat like Steve Nash. He'll probably also be a defensive liability, like Nash or JTerry. I'm less sure Deron or Felton will be as good but I do think there is a good chance that Deron will be better due to his ability to control both ends of the floor. I dont think fast points will tear him up, he's quick enough and his body positioning and strength will do the rest.

I think Marvin (or Bogut if he falls to us) is too valuable to pass up. I'll still be watching close though and if Deron falls to 5th and Charlotte is still there I think there is a decent chance that BK will take Deron, #13, and Ely for Marvin and the Laker first. I'd rather just buy the Memphis pick and keep Marvin myself but I do like Deron better than Paul, by a good bit actually.

I think Paul has so much more heart than JT, and thus will end up being a better defender. I think JT's development as a defender at the pro level was hampered by being on bad teams with guys that didnt play hard. Paul has heart and is going to play hard every night on both ends.

I'd rate them:

Deron

Felton

Ukic

Robinson

Jack

Paul (out of spite)

However, I must admit I am biased against the "nutcracker". (Kind of like Diesel and Bogut.) Not sure why - just his attitude and taking his team out of the tourney by doing something stupid. I want a smart PG.

I'd even take "mini-me" Nate Robinson over Paul. He's faster, smarter, can jump higher, shoots just as well, dishes the ball, plays harder, and doesn't slug people in the nuts.

(So based on my typical luck and experience in always picking the slowest line in the airport - that just about guarantees Billy will pick Paul with the 2.)

yeti

Hi guys im new...Yeti your "nutcracker" comments are awesome.

Anyway, I would also like to see Deron here. He strikes me as someone who can shoot from the outside and will be able to backdown alot of the point guards in the league and on top of that hes a great defender. Not to mention, a great distributor of the ball. I saw Paul alot and even though hes a solid player, I never was sold on him. Living in Atlanta, I got to see him matched up with Jack from Ga.Tech. And Jack was head and shoulders the better player on multiple occasions. And honestly will Chris Paul this year be light years ahead of where Tyrone Lue (even though he might not be here) is at this point. To me they are basically the same type of player (even though Paul hasnt played an nba game.) Same size, both can score, they show alot of heart and both will be/are liabilitys on defense against bigger guards. Im not saying that Deron is a better guard than tyrone lue is at this point, but he brings something that you cant teach and thats size along with his offensive and defensive skills he already has.

This is the order I like in terms of those 4 guards

1. Williams

2. Jack

3. Felton

4. Paul

I agree with your points, but my primary reason is different. I just do not believe that if you are going to rebuild from scratch that you should include flaws in your building plans.

I would want Deron as my PG because I believe his defense will be key to the Hawks success. If not Deron then give me Jack. I don't care what the combine results were. I've seen what he can do in a game- totally stymie the other team's pg.

I hate to be cliche but D-fense wins championships.