• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Salim for Ilgauskas

TnDawg

Although I will admit that I am not against the Hawks picking up Big Z, I would not do it if we have to trade away Salim. The following is a portion of a article from a Cleveland newspaper. His agent is saying he is exploring possible SnT to help bring in a better shooter for the Cavs.

I would do it if all it costs is Al and Delk. Salim is hoing to help us alot spotting up from the outside along with Marvin's ability to hit from the outside.

Heres the article:

Signing Hughes was a major plus for the Cavs, but the team still has issues to resolve. Now that Hughes has received some major funds, how will that affect Zydrunas Ilgauskas’ deal?

The Cavs still need to add a point guard to back up or start in front of Eric Snow. The team remains in need of a shot blocker, a back-up or starting center if Ilgauskas does not sign, and most of all, the Cavs still need an outside shooter.

All of this must be accomplished with about $16 million left to spend.

“I don’t have any updates, and I’m still having discussions with [General Manager] Danny Ferry,” said Ilgauskas’ agent, Herb Rudoy. “I’m talking to a lot of teams about a possible sign-and-trade. I’m in consistent dialogue with several teams. We’re in no rush.”

A possible sign-and-trade scenario would have the Cavs sign Ilgauskas and trade him to the Atlanta Hawks, who have about $24 million available under the salary cap.

Seems like a lot to give up in a sign and trade for an aging C. I could see trading Delk and Collier, and next years Laker's first but why Al.

How high is the chance that they would actually match our offer now? Based upon the article, I don't think they can afford Z, and put a quality team on the floor.

Let's see. We are light on PG's and C's and we are heavy on F's. According to the draft rumor, we will trade away a cheap, talented PG that can score from anywhere on the court for an often-injured 30 year old Center that will come at a big price.

No.

• Premium Member

I prefer to see us sign unrestricted FAs such as Z when we can then turn around and send to a contender that couldn't sign him otherwise, and in turn, receive a package of players already under contract and draft picks that could help us.

(But you don't hear about SnT's involving unrestricted FAs very often, so I'm left to wonder if there's been some trading rules restriction...???)

• Premium Member

Quote:

I dont believe that a team can sign a FA and then turn around and trade him, at least not for a certain amount of time. I cant even think of the last time that has ever happened....has it ever happened, at least recently?

Now that you say that, I seem to recall that this came up last off-season with some team, and that there's an automatic 60-day or 90-day moratorium... because whoever it was that was speculated to be thinking about it (I don't think it actually occurred) was looking at an almost exact period of time before the start of training camps... I don't think I'm making this up, but I also can't nail it down... feel free to correct me.

"Seems like a lot to give up in a sign and trade for an aging C. I could see trading Delk and Collier, and next years Laker's first but why Al."

I'd give up Al if we can't just get him. Not the Lakers pick, look what happened to Pistons. They got the #2 pick for Otis friggin Thorpe. Harrington doesn't fit anywhere, and if we keep him and don't get a center he won't take us anywhere. Harrington is not Tracy McGrady, he can't be the #1 guy. Even if big Z doesn't pan out plenty of teams need centers, so i'm sure we could get a first rounder at the deadline.

• Premium Member

Reject...

I know why.

People here believe that trading Al will lead to a starting spot for Marvin alongside Smoove/Chillz. However, the truth of the matter is that it makes no sense to trade our best player. Not at this point. Marvin hasn't played one pro minute. I say we don't throw away our best player just to open a spot for MWill. If MWill is as good as the nuthuggers say, then he will beat out Al for the spot and Al would be just as good as a 6th man. However, until that time, I don't see a need to throw Al away like has been proposed... Especially seeing that we have so much money.

Quote:

Reject...

I know why.

People here believe that trading Al will lead to a starting spot for Marvin alongside Smoove/Chillz. However, the truth of the matter is that it makes no sense to trade our best player. Not at this point. Marvin hasn't played one pro minute. I say we don't throw away our best player just to open a spot for MWill. If MWill is as good as the nuthuggers say, then he will beat out Al for the spot and Al would be just as good as a 6th man. However, until that time, I don't see a need to throw Al away like has been proposed... Especially seeing that we have so much money.

The fact that Al Harrington is out best player is a major problem. Some games I would rather they dust off Snoop Graham and throw him out there.

With Big Z being unrestricted, we don't have to trade anything to get him if we offer high enuff. With all of the rumored sign and trade scenarios out there, I found this one interesting that Cleveland really wants a outside threat and with us drafting Salim and not signing any of our picks as of yet, would BK actually consider trading him to make a more cost effective deal. I hope not. I think it will be great to have his shooting on our team.

Its like I think Diesel stated, part of me has accepted a possible SnT with Al, but are we likely to be a part of another one?? Would you guys trade Salim at this stage for anything, (someone obtainable)??

Cost effective? Salim is probably our cheapest player at this point. And he has loads of potential for being a very effective marksman.

Trading Al is a completely different story b/c he is our largest contract. Trading Salim for a guy we could just sign doesn't make a lick of sense.

Quote:

Although I will admit that I am not against the Hawks picking up Big Z, I would not do it if we have to trade away Salim.

Are you kidding me? We're talking about a CENTER that we could really use, and we pretty much need. Why not trade the rookie, because your logic doesn't make sense to me, and we could always find another player to replace Salim. Salim has yet to even step on the court, but your already trying to make him untrableable?

Quote:

Seems like a lot to give up in a sign and trade for an aging C. I could see trading Delk and Collier, and next years Laker's first but why Al.

Take AL out of your trophy case, because you have his value a bit high. I'd trade Al easily, if it means we get the solid center we need, and big z is that type of guy. He gets everyone involved, passes fairly decent, above average rebounder, and he can score.

• Premium Member

It doesn't matter if our best player is Snoop Graham, Enis Whatley, or Pistol Pete Myers... If he's our best player then you don't trade him until you are absolutely sure you have somebody better...

If we trade Al, we have the opportunity to ruin the confidence of a lot of young players.