• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chandler is BK's target; Curry may have canceled

KB21

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull111.html

Looks like Curry may or may not have canceled the meeting with the Hawks. The Hawks are saying that he canceled because he didn't want to go through the battery of stuff the Hawks doctors would put him through.

This report states that Chandler will visit today though, and that BK wanted to draft him back in 2001, but he went with the 2nd overall pick.

I can see the Hawks coming out of this with an offer for Chandler similar to the one they are giving Joe Johnson. Tyson Chandler is the perfect fit for this team as well. The Hawks may dare the Bulls to match the offer.

Quote:

This report states that Chandler will visit today though, and that BK wanted to draft him back in 2001, but he went with the 2nd overall pick.

I can see the Hawks coming out of this with an offer for Chandler similar to the one they are giving Joe Johnson. Tyson Chandler is the perfect fit for this team as well.
The Hawks may dare the Bulls to match the offer.

They can dare all they want, but I just don't see Paxson letting Chandler go. He is exactly the type of player Paxson and Skiles want on their team. I really think Paxson will match any offer for Chandler. Curry on the other hand - a big offer and I think the Bulls will let him walk...

Quote:

Quote:

I can see the Hawks coming out of this with an offer for Chandler similar to the one they are giving Joe Johnson. Tyson Chandler is the perfect fit for this team as well.
The Hawks may dare the Bulls to match the offer.

They can dare all they want, but I just don't see Paxson letting Chandler go. He is exactly the type of player Paxson and Skiles want on their team. I really think Paxson will match any offer for Chandler. Curry on the other hand - a big offer and I think the Bulls will let him walk...

Then I think Biully is fighting a losing battle IF he

expects to have a realistic shot at Chandler. Curry

decided to cancel the workout possibly cause the in-

terest really wasn't there.

• Premium Member

Bk has to make Chicago pay Chandler. Chicago has so many young stars that it will be a good thing to get them into cap strain early...

I would love to see Chicago capped out with Duhon, Hinrich, Chandler, and Curry before Deng and Gordon come up.

• Admin

While his injury history worries me. I like fact that he plays hard and wants "it". I think he would bring a missing and sorely needed element to the team.

I also agree with Diesel. We need to force chicago to pay for chandler. If it's true that they will match any offer. Then lets put them to the test. It terrifies me to think that we could offer him a huge contract adn they would not match. That would, IMO, be disasterous. Because I don't think he's worth a FA max deal. But at the same time, we have to make them work to keep him.

What if none of the "STAR" free agents and restricted

free agents sign with the Hawks?

Tough? Sure it is.

But, wait a minute. Hawks aren't the ones I think of as

being scared. Think of all these teams who have or had

these players on their team and desperately want to keep

them. The old saying about "Being between a rock and

a hard place." Money is tight. yet, we must keep

these players.

There is the Hawks. All that available cash and cap space.

They come courting. Come play for us. You could be

a real star here and we really need you! We have the

money available to pay you big $$$$$$$$ !!

If we are to keep our players, then we MUST find a way

to come up with the money. We must make it VERY desireable

for you to stay with us. We'll do whatever is

necessary to keep you here!!

Suppose they keep all their "Star" players and spend all

their money. Then what?

How can we have a decent bench? What if a "Star" player

is injured and has to miss a month? Then what will we

do? With no decent bench, we are in deep Doo Doo!

Not only are these teams in trouble now, their money

is tied up for a very long time. They have left no

"Wiggle room" for a very long time.

Meanwhile, there is the Hawks. All those great young

players and, when they couldn't sign any "Star" players,

they signed some very good players who weren't quiet as

great, but who fit in very nicely with their team and

now they have a full roster of reasonably priced players!

We've got our great five. They can really get the job

done. Trouble is, they can't play all the minutes

in the games, night after night.

Scary thoughts? Some of these teams must think so.

"We'll match any offer. We're keeping our "Star"

players." Then what?

smirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gifsmirk.gif

To me it shows more that Curry is a Lazy person and narrow minded. He feels insulted that teams want him to go through test or workouts before they offer him any money. He needs to look "outside of himself" from the other man's point of view.

This may or may not be likely, but what if we have told Curry that we are interested in signing him, but there is some genuine concern that Chicago will match. If thats the case, we might be trying to make Chicago think we are really more interested in Chandler and when we make him a max or close to max offer, they will have to match it, thereby leaving them in quite a pickle with Curry, who I believe we could get for less than the max at that point.

• Premium Member

The article didn't say Curry wouldn't come; he just said he's not ready to do the workouts.

Still, I hope the Hawks go after Chandler 1st. He's the better fit for this team. Then pursue Curry, after the Bulls paid a fortune for Chandler.

I wonder why there's no talk of the Hawks pursuing Dalembert?

I would have to think that we have talked with Daly. Perhaps he is 2nd, or 3rd on BKs list of centers and we are just waiting to see what happens with the other guys first. I wonder if we could SnT Al to them, where he could play SF in the post with Webber at PF playing out around the elbow. With Cheeks coaching them now he might be open to something like that.

As others here are saying, Chicago can't give fat contracts to both Chandler and Curry. If we force them to match one contract, then we can pick up the other with a second large signed offer sheet. In that sense, we should make the first offer to the guy we want less.

We don't have that kind of leverage with Dally, though I think Philly's cap space issues are much worse than either Phoenix' or Chicago's.

It will be easier for Philly to match Dally if they use their one time lux tax waiver on CWeb. But they say they won't do that. Does anyone know if there's a time deadline to exercise that waiver option? Perhaps the Hawks wait for Philly to commit to keeping CWeb, then they apply the screws with the fat offer sheet to Dally.

I dunno. I'm confident someone is going to take our money.

I just hope that if it's Curry, his health problems really are behind him.

Quote:

The article didn't say Curry wouldn't come; he just said he's not ready to do the workouts.

Still, I hope the Hawks go after Chandler 1st. He's the better fit for this team. Then pursue Curry, after the Bulls paid a fortune for Chandler.

I wonder why there's no talk of the Hawks pursuing Dalembert?

Exactly. This has nothing to do with our interest in Curry, or his in us. He has been cleared by doctors but is not yet in playing shape and doesn't want to go through tests.

I think that BK is smart enough to know that Chandler and Dalembert will be matched no matter what. While we will talk to them and probably offer both max offers (or close), neither one will play here. The Bulls prefer Chandler for the same reason we do. They aren't letting him go.

That's why we're going after Curry. He is the best C we might get. I don't think Chicago would match a max offer, especially if it doesn't have as many incentives as Chicago wants.

Curry is a high risk gamble that I'm willing to take. He has a higher ceiling than Chandler. IMO, it's easier to teach an offensive beast to play D well than it is to teach a defensive beast to play offense. Chandler can be a top center in the east THIS YEAR if he's motivated. He had a rough couple of years when he first got in the league, but looked great for the last year and a half until his heart scare. I think he's motivated to prove people wrong.

I don't know if people have watched Curry much, but he really is one of the most unstoppable centers in the paint when he wants it. And he is 22.

He was a high school pick who was intimidated, but has improved every year. People act like he was lazy until his contract year, but it was a continuous learning process that saw him steadily improve, playing great over the last 2 years. Look at his stats:

01-02 6.7 3.8 .74 (PPG RPG BPG)

02-03 10.5 4.4 .77

03-04 14.7 6.2 1.14

04-05 16.1 5.4 .92

Seomebody needs to toughen him up and get him to grab more boards, but we have a great rebounding team to help.

I want Curry here, given that we can't get Chandler or Dalembert

Chandler is exactly the type player we should be throwing a huge contract at to force Chicago to act. IMO, Chandler and Dalembert are the best fits here for our 5 spot. Curry and Kwame "the Quitter" scare me the most. I just don't see Curry's production on the boards improving. He has been in the league long enough to show improvment in this area. Rebounding is as much about effort as it is about skill. Curry just does not give the effort needed. Heck before his injury, Skiles put Curry on the bench at the end of close games because of his D issues. We need a force on the D end in the paint more than we need a post up threat on the O end.

i'd throw huge contracts to daly and chandler (not at same time) because it's win-win

if they match, then it hurts them financially

if they don't, we get our defensive rebounding center and we still have lots of room left

i wouldn't do that to curry (heart, desire, rebounding, lazy) or z (old, injured past, too long of deal)

it's not that so much as he wasn't able to work out while investigating the cardiac issues and no doubt didn't really watch his diet..therefore his weight has bloomed (and reportedly since regressed some)~ but he's not in a position right now to 'wow' a team~in body or in play...

not in his best interest to show up and bomb...