Lascar78

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Quote:

Oh, I was wondering how that worked..If it only counts as 12 million to us, does it also only count as 12 million to Phoenix, even though we he will be making 20? If so, its not nearly as big of a tax burden on them..

That is right. It means a greater tax burden in future years but main cost to frontloading a contract is that a team has to pay real dollars now. Teams might be budgeted fiscally to spend $70M in 2005-06 but if you frontload a deal you can blow their budget. Also, spending the money now costs more than if you spend the same money in the future because a dollar today is worth more than a dollar a few years from now. However, I think the main discincentive is how it affects this year's budget for the team.

• Premium Member

I know that Darko has "potential." Then again, so does most of our team. The point is why be in so much of a hurry to trade our best player for someone who has shown nothing in the league thus far? M. Williams has shown that he is not quite ready for starter's minutes so why not just hold onto Al as a mentor until he matures? We have nothing to lose by waiting until the trade deadline.

I find myself in the camp of posters who generally oppose trading Al unless it is the "right" deal. I am even worried about a Al for Curry deal in that we may be getting the short end of the stick. Al for Darko is intriguing. Darko has done next to nothing so far in his NBA career. However he has been playing for LB who has a reputation of not developing rookies. As a seven footer who weighs 250 Darko has the size to play the 5 easily in the EC. K. Willis could really work with him. I have seen the guy play maybe 2 to 3 times and I have always thought he looked slow of foot. But if he played the 5 exclusively then his foot speed may not matter as much. As some point I think all of us realize that we must take a big risk to improve. Would this be a better risk to take than to gamble on Curry? I almost think it would be. Thoughts?

Last year many of us said Al is the future. He was going to save this franchise. For some of us we got the wake up call and that he isn't a franchise player. Some may still believe he is.

Hawks have had no luck with Centers this offseason. This is the next best option. Al has no future with this team. If the Hawks can pick up a Center who has the upside and young as Darko. They have to take it.

how some people here would take a chance on some other teams junk....but if Darko played for us and had the same numbers there would be bust posts everywhere ..and BK would be the worst GM ever.....this team is just too young to be desperate for any position......especially Darko for AL.

• Moderators

Quote:

on ESPN Detroit boards.

Makes more sense - seeing as most people here like the idea and most Detroitians hate it.

I think once Dally signed, and no insurance for Curry, now BK has to look elsewhere.

That was apparently the report on a Detroit radio station (that the Hawks offered the deal).

Have any of you actually WATCHED Darko play? He looks like a deer in the headlights...

I live in Detroit, and I attend games regularly. Since about 20 games into his rookie season we've always called him The Human Victory Cigar. He's a sideshow! A joke!

Not to say that the guy didn't once have NBA promise, but when you spend 2 years of your life as the laughing stock of a franchise, that's awfully hard to rebound from. As a Piston fan, I would LOVE to see Darko traded for Al. As someone who hopes that better things are in store for the Atlanta Franchise, I would HATE to see them make this trade. Atlanta will be a fun team to watch this upcoming season, and they'll need Harrington's experience to mesh with the youthful core.

Have you ever been on a team and only given 4-5 minutes per game, with all the pressure on you. It's hard to succeed. The one game he did play in, he played great. He has skills. He has confidence issues and it can really get to you when you only get a couple of minutes here and there, with all eyes on you.

I would do that deal Harrington for Darko but try to get Arroyo included even if I had to add something..The Hawks are going to lose Harrington anyway next year and you don't draft players at the top of the draft to have them sit on the bench at least not for long.Maybe Al does a rasheed and resigns with detroit but I don't want another antoine walker deal where the hawks practically get nothing.

Darko needs playing time to see if he can cut it.It is a risk but what do the hawks have to look forward to,Jason Collier?I remember before the draft when Darko was taken the pistons worked him out and they could not believe the things he could do.If he doesn't cut it then what are we losing? I will take another high draft choice next year to get a point guard and the 2007 draft is full of power forwards and Greg Oden.The Hawks really aren't spending much in cap money and will have alot left.

Quote:

Have you ever been on a team and only given 4-5 minutes per game, with all the pressure on you. It's hard to succeed. The one game he did play in, he played great. He has skills. He has confidence issues and it can really get to you when you only get a couple of minutes here and there, with all eyes on you.

Darko started back to back games against the Hawks and the Bobcats. He looked decent against the Hawks (but what big man didn't with their soft interior defense), and not so good against the Bobcats. If I'm Billy Knight, I don't trade Al for Darko, unless Detroit includes other young talent or a 1st round pick for next season.

Darko has had plenty of time to work his way into the rotation, and he hasn't done it. Do you believe if Bosh was in Detroit that he would be rotting away on the bench? I'm sick of the Jermaine O'Neal comparisons, because it's not very accurate. Jermaine O'Neal was a much more productive player in his limited minutes. Also Detroit only had one big man coming off the bench (McDyess), while O'Neal had to deal with Rasheed, Sabonis, Gary Trent, and Brian Grant.