Poll: Dan Dickau

BlackHawkDown

I am tired of the DD debate so lets vote on it.

BHD - I watced several Gonzaga games over the last 2 years, and was perturbed that DD was schooling scrubs in his conference and only decent against decent sqauds. However, I picked DD as my late to mid second round pickup, but we picked him late 1st which annoyed me. I think DD is popular for a lot of outside reasons which again I dont like. And I expected a decent rookie camp, but after a couple of fakes and nice passes a lot of people start declaring him the next ( Stockton, Price, Bird Mullin etc.), I have seen him compared to every white player in history, which I hate. So with that said I say DD is a Above Average Backup. All this trade JT crap has to stop. DD isn't bad but he isn't great either.

However I am tired of seeing a weekly DD arguement so lets vote on it , explain our feelings and settle the debate until Nov 1.

Seeing as how we havent even played one preseason game yet who can accurately say how ANY rookie is going to do. The only person I even see remotely considering trading JT is Diesel and hell he would have traded Nique in his prime just to raise some eyebrows around here. Nobody knows how he is going to do, just like with almost any other rookie.

We have hopes for the future of our first round draft pick.

Any player drafted, especially in the first round, will be

expected to preform at a high level in the NBA.

First round picks are under a lot more pressure. They

sign a contract with guarantees of money that the other

players chosen later do not get. Teams and fans expect

to get something in return for this investment.

First round draft picks will, because of their status, be

compared to other great NBA players. He is going to

be the next _______{You fill in the blank} because of

this. Dickau is no different. We expect a lot.

Fans reaction to our draft pick have run wild. On the one

hand we have some who say, This is the future leader

of the Hawks. He is the greatest thing since sliced

bread. He is the present and future PG that Hawks have

been looking for. A superstar.

On the other hand, some believe that Hawks made a

huge mistake in even considering Dickau as a first round

pick. He didn't play with one of the major teams and

faced very little true competition, playing only against

very small, weak teams. He has no real skills and will

be a poor NBA player. Besides that, he is white.

How many young players in the NBA today that are

considered super stars or future super stars are white?

Can you name five? Sure, there are older stars, but not

young ones.

All this, and we have never seen Dickau on the floor with

his new Hawk team. We can only hazard a guess as to

what he will become. My feelings is that he has a lot

of learning to do. Hawks would be foolish to expect him

to step right in and star for the team. Let him work

with the team and earn his playing minutes. Let him

make his rookie mistakes without the pressure of being

"The Main Man" for the Hawks. In two or three years,

he may become a great PG, one who is considered a

super star. Right now, he is nothing more than a raw

NBA rookie, ready to learn. Only time will tell what

we have in Dickau.

Gray Mule

Like I said I think he will be in the mold of

a Brevin Knight.he will give you some sweet

passes and maybe make you wonder how many

assist he would rack up on a team like the Clippers.

However,in reality he is a backup because he is

even smaller than JT?Plus I doubt he will be able

to get around NBA defenders and allthough he

shot well in college I was unimpressed with his

shooting in the summer leagues.

but as of RITE NOW (b4 preseason), i see him as a MEDIOCRE backup. Who knows? Maybe someday, he will be a top 15 PG in the league. But as of rite now, i think it would be a mistake to put a rookie PG in replace of Terry.

PG is position which the player has to be STRONG mentally. Its not like the center position in which STRENGTH and PHYSICAL STATUS could push ur way to the top. This is one reason why OLD PLAYERS are usually PGs and the reasons they decline at a slow rate. Centers decline at a fast rate if they lack strength.

Rookies are in no position to start on any team unless u have a guy name JAY WILLIAMS and ur best point guard is TRAVIS BEST (who is a FA?)...

"but after a couple of fakes and nice passes a lot of people start declaring him the next ( Stockton, Price, Bird Mullin etc.), I have seen him compared to every white player in history, which I hate."

The above quote from BHD is plainly racist. Period. No doubt about it.

While we're at it. I challenge BHD to find a post where DD is compared to Chris Mullin.

Weaseldom's 8/26 post ..."I'd rather JT flourish at the point and us have a problem with finding time for a promising DD and **MULLINg** our options. " ...isn't it.

Frankly, J 'lil stock' Vaughn was compared to Stockton in more posts last year than DD has been this year.

Fact - good ballers come in all races.

Fact - lousy ballers come in all races.

Fact - smart people come in all races.

Fact - dumb people come in all races.

Fact - good people come in all races.

Fact - bad people come in all races.

That's my take.

What is racist about me saying, he shouldn't be compared to every white player to ever play. If anything it a call for people to stop behaving in such a manner. I am not going to be responding to many more of these BHD is racist post so have fun.

PS I never said it was this message board, it was a Gonzaga board, some guy constantly made reference to DD having the offensive skills of Chris Mullin. As far a I am concerned DD couldn't wipe Chris Mullins Shoes.

DD as an NBA player is definitely an unknown at this point. I voted and hope he proves to be an above average backup.

I really liked the drafting of DD. At that time, a scoring point guard was what we had to have since we couldnt count on anyone other than Reef then. Now with the BigDawg, it's less critical our point scores but still DD seems to me to be similar to JT, a point that can reasonably well run the team AND can shoot. If we lose JT for a period, it will be nice if DD can come in and still play a similar game. If DD really pans out he'll give management an option as contract issues with JT come up.

It's funny, especially in certain sports such as boxing and basketball, how the athletes are usually compared to previous athletes of the same race. DD will definitely continue to be compared to Mark Price or Stockton, but in this case it seems pretty darn accurate to me. I doubt DD will ever achieve at that level but when you look at the type game played, you definitely have to say DD has more of a Price type game than say Kenny Anderson, Andre Miller, Jason Kidd or pretty much anyone else. Maybe he plays a little like Bibby or Shammonds Williams but still the Price comparision at this point seems valid to me. Stockton of course will come up since they both went to the same school but I've never heard anyone try to compare DD to Jason Williams of Memphis but that seems closer to me than Brevin Knight who was also short but fall had no shot.

Anyways, I'm glad we have DD, now let's cut Email and eat his contract, sign Ira and some BIG space occupier or center backup and get on with this thing!!

well we can't really compare their pro careers yet (I agree that skiles settled more into an assists guy with the magic, but never did become more than a 5-7 assists a year guy, I believe)...

but in college he just reminds me of him... similar size and attitude (the I'm going to take that final shot and win it attitude that skiles had, particularly that year (1986) in the NCAA's,)...

I believe that they were probably pretty close in scoring averages in college though...

• Premium Member

The only way that I would trade JT is if we got a player that was BETTER for US in return!

Now that we have Big Dog, I feel our team is complete. However, if JT is not the PG that we need him to be, I am not against trading him for someone who would help us as much as he could. NAMELY, a SG who could come in and put up 15-20 and play exceptional defense. There are only a few guys who fit that.

But to say that I would BLINDLY trade JT because we have DD is stupid. I don't think DD is or probably will ever be a better player than JT. I do believe however, that this is a make or Break YR for JT regaurdless of how much WE Love him here. If he doesn't make it, Babcock has put the team in a position to dispose of him.

NAMELY, a SG who could come in and put

up 15-20 and play exceptional defense.

There are only a few guys who fit that."

Ouch! doesn't say alot for Dermarr's future

does it?

"Now that we have Big Dog, I feel our team

is complete."

I dunno...he is pretty bad on defense...He's

mostly a scorer and nothing more.Of course

he helps,but we aren't quite a complete

team.

"Babcock has put the team in a position to

dispose of him."

Until Big Dog or Shareef are players you can

count on when needed(It's not likely to happen)

then I don't think this is true....but then again,

we are talking about Babcock....He finds away to

screw nearly everything up including a 6th pick

in the draft.Including trading a 3rd pick in the

draft and still didn't make the team any better.

I saw Skiles throw some of the flashiest passes I have EVER seen in the NBA. He was definitely a showman at times. I remember him coming down on the fastbreak and faking the behind the back pass ala Magic on several occasions only to hit the open man in stride for the dunk. The best pass I remember seeing him make though was one where he put the ball behind his back TWICE in stride before dishing it for the dunk. Skiles was a great (and flashy) passer but he wasn't extremely quick or athletic and his J left a lot to be desired. Still all in all, he was a pretty decent PG.

BHD is racist against white players (and coaches) and as far as his hatred of comparing DD to white players HE WAS ONE OF THE FIRST TO DO IT and show his ignorance (and white playa hate) doing so.

BHD, called DD a "sissy baller" and compared him to his European "sissy ballers" less than a week after DD set a hard screen on Richard Jefferson and picked a fight with him in a summer league game!!! How sissy do you have to be to call someone a "sissy baller" after he's taken one for the team and then stood up to someone 2 positions bigger than him. This in the context of BHD's vast many other white hate examples is evidence of his racism.

As far as his hypocracy, BHD compared a best case DD to a cross between Craig Ehlo and John Stockton. Setting aside how ignorant that argument was for statement that DD was only worth say a $35 pick and not a #28, THAT'S TWO VERY WHITE PLAYERS! BHD, was one of the first to make such comparisons.

As far as ignorance, the immediately above applies, as I would love a Craig Ehlo/John Stockton best case potential clone with nearly any pick, much less #28. Perhaps even more ignorant was BHD insistance that Craig Ehlo was "Pg-sized". Ehlo was 6'7"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just admit it BHD!

You were a front runner on the comparisons of DD to white players, even going so far in your need to compare him to white players that you compared him to white players that didn't remotely play his position (Ehlo was a 2/3).

Come one BHD. Face your racial biases and better yourself. Regardless, don't think the forum doesn't read your posts without seeing black and white, literally.

W